Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having A Hard Time With Easter Candy In The House

Okay, so I have two little ones and every easter, they end up with like 3 easter baskets each from different relatives. I'm finding it harder to stay away from the candy and would really like to throw it away, but my husband thinks that would be unfair to the kids. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should deal with this?

stick it in the back of the freezer....

Have him hide it from you.

This is what I do for easter and halloween and any holiday where candy is involved. I let my daughter pick 5 pieces of candy and she can have one piece a day or every other day and when it's gone then it's gone. She really doesn't need to have all that candy anyway.. then we bag up the rest and leave it out for the candy fairy ;) before bed and when she wakes up she has a new cool toy from the candy fairy. I throw out th candy.. none of us need it and it's full of crap.

I don't let her eat a lot of sweets anyway. From the time she could eat I have tried very hard to give her a balanced diet. I didn't want her to end up like me as a junk food junkie. And now she is one of the healthiest kids I know. She eats raw baby spinach as a snack and she loves green vegtables. I'm not too strict because I don't want her to have issues with food. She doesn't really know any different.

I know this isn't the normal thing most parents do but it's what works for us. I'm pretty sure she doesn't feel deprived or that it's not fair.

Maybe have the kids keep it out of sight, like their closets or drawers. Most of the time, I'll forget about sweets when they're not in my face.

Try getting some Protein Bars that are good flavors...Chocolate chip or Peanut Butter granola. I love the Atkins ones.

Have him hide it from you.

This is a great way to handle it. I have had my husband do this for me before. He also has some locked cabinets in his office.

A thought is also to trade the candy for something else (money per ounce or pound, or a small toy if younger), and maybe have your husband take the candy to work and put it in the break room.

This is what I do for easter and halloween and any holiday where candy is involved. I let my daughter pick 5 pieces of candy and she can have one piece a day or every other day and when it's gone then it's gone. She really doesn't need to have all that candy anyway.. then we bag up the rest and leave it out for the candy fairy ;) before bed and when she wakes up she has a new cool toy from the candy fairy. I throw out th candy.. none of us need it and it's full of crap.

I don't let her eat a lot of sweets anyway. From the time she could eat I have tried very hard to give her a balanced diet. I didn't want her to end up like me as a junk food junkie. And now she is one of the healthiest kids I know. She eats raw baby spinach as a snack and she loves green vegtables. I'm not too strict because I don't want her to have issues with food. She doesn't really know any different.

I know this isn't the normal thing most parents do but it's what works for us. I'm pretty sure she doesn't feel deprived or that it's not fair.

Don't ever think you are being an unfair mommy!! I wish my mom would have done this to me! She let us have all kind of junk... Which we developed bad habits from. :( I support your idea 100%!!!!!

My mom bought my son some assorted cheese and sausages since he couldnt have candy. But she still bought him some candy anyways. I bought him a wifi usb card instead and my little girl a bedroom set. But I did buy them some snocones. Thats a little like candy I guess

it's not like the kids are going to be completely devastated over a little bit of candy. Do you have a mission around your house? Break the candy into a few little baskets and tell the kids you are going to give the candy to the kids who didn't get any candy for Easter.

EXCELLENT idea!

it's not like the kids are going to be completely devastated over a little bit of candy. Do you have a mission around your house? Break the candy into a few little baskets and tell the kids you are going to give the candy to the kids who didn't get any candy for Easter.

I love the idea of leaving candy out for the candy fairy! I think I might try it and see how it goes! Thanks for all the helpful advice you guys! :)

My kids are first grandkids on either side. Starting with Christmas they get their body weight in candy. I don't buy any candy because the rest of the family does,easter egg hunt at church, valentines exchange at school. This easter they ended up with over 4 bags of candy to add to the 2 bags of valentines candy and the half bag left from Christmas. Its sickening, so I started a deal with them. They pick about 5 pieces each to have after dinner and the rest goes to the fairy that works for candy (I either donate to their preschool or to the food banks. I had no clue food banks took candy but they do as a treat to the kids of family down on their luck). So they give me all their candy I take it and the fairy brings them each a book or small toy. Its the best thing I have come up with because if not, I couldn't even imagine what would it be like.

At their old dentist, you could take candy in and trade it for new toothbrushes or stickers or little toys.

But yeah I have to do it quickly because if not I will totally eat it. It needs to be out of the house and fast.