Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Excitedly Nervous About My Surgery. Should I Be?

The process for my surgery in Alabama will not take a long time so I am excitedly nervous. I just attended a college homecoming and I looked like I had eaten everything that everyone else lost. My surgery is the jumpstart to a brand new life. I have been defining myself by what I cannot do and I have a child who is watching me fail this test with obesity. I can't let that happen. I also have to remove the crutch I have used for all of my failures in life. My fear of success rest on my body image. I know it shouldn't but it does right now. I am in need of counseling. I am going to get it. My weight gain is a manifestation of something else and need to find out what. I don't want to go down this path again - EVER!!!!!

I cried while I was waiting for anesthesia because I was so scared. No regrets though, well maybe when I woke up from surgery, but it gets better! Be nervous because a new life awaits you! I am happy for you that you are happy!

It took me a while to decide on the surgery because I thought it would not be my accomplishment but the surgeons's. Did you feel that way?

Hi,

I contemplated surgery for almost 5 years. At first I thought about getting the lapband but never did. Then after 4 years of fluctuating weight I started researching again and found the sleeve.

I never thought about it the way you described although I did feel like I was cheating.......but I knew I could not do it by myself. food is a sickness I think. Think of it this way, your surgeon will be accomplishing the surgery, but it is still you who will accomplish the weight loss. Your surgeon can't control you after you go home. Your sleeve cannot control you either. You will still be the main accomplisher, I promise! I will be 3 months on April 17th and I have accomplished a lot and give the credit to myself.

You will make the right decision for yourself with time. Just remember what they say about the sleeve being a tool. You are in charge of what the sleeve accomplishes.

Yoshikitty,

I agree with you. I was thinking it was cheating but you answered my question perfectly. The operation is a tool but what I do with the tool is totally up to me. This is the first step in jumpstarting my weight loss but the hard work will be in maintaining it. Thank you so much. You have given me a fresh and less accusatory perspective on the whole thing. Cheating. Who am I cheating on. People really don't know the emotional turmoil obesity puts on you.

Thanks a million Yoshikitty!!!!

I have never thought of out as cheating because we still have to work at it. I think of it as a jump start. out reminds me of oprah. people say if they had all her money for a chef and personal

people say if they had money for a chef and personal trainer they would be thin but oprah said she us the one that still has to do the work same here. I feel blessed I was able to get the sleeve