Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts About My First Holiday With The Sleeve...

I was wondering how you all did with Easter this year. I was sleeved in January (deliberately held off until after the holidays), and this was my first true "test" of the sleeve. Because these types of situations were such a concern to me prior to surgery, I thought I'd share my experience for the benefit of those who are struggling one way or another.

I'm the "mom," and have always loved to entertain. I don't do things on a small level. People come to my house empty-handed and leave with food, and we really like to have a good time. I love to plan menus, usually based on things I love to eat but don't indulge in very often! Easter is one of my smaller food holidays, but I made a big Smithfield ham, salad, shrimp cocktail, 3 kinds of veggies, baked apples, potatoes au gratin, two kinds of rolls, and so forth. The table was set with the Limoge china, crystal, silver, etc. Everyone got big Easter baskets filled with candy and age-appropriate goodies.

So, after putting everything out, I sat down at the table and began to fill my plate. Threw a roll on it and took a huge pat of butter, and then said, "What am I doing??? I can't eat that!!" It was just automatic! So I had 3 bites of ham, about a tablespoon of potatoes, a T of edamame/cranberry salad, and that was it. Would I have liked to eat more? Yes. But it wasn't that big of a deal. I was full. I enjoyed talking, laughing, passing the food around, and reaping the compliments. I was fully conscious of how happy I was that I still love to entertain, that it really is about the people and not just the food fest.

And get this!!! For dessert, I served a buffet of chocolate cake, mini cupcakes, lemon merengue pie, homemade strawberry shortcake, and vanilla ice cream. And then I sat at the table while everyone else ate, and I DIDN'T HAVE ONE BITE!!! I was too full!!! This was the first holiday meal in my entire food-eating life that I didn't have dessert, and lots of it.

What did I really long for on Easter??? Well, I had this surgery so I could get my knees replaced, and I'm not there yet. So I longed for my knees and feet not to hurt while I was trying to get everything done. I longed to go outside and participate in the Easter egg hunt (can't walk on uneven surfaces). I longed to be able to get down on the floor with my granddaughter. Other than one small moment of feeling a little sorry for myself, I didn't really long for food.

It was a revelation. And I know that next year at this time, my knees will be healed and I'll be able to do all the things I really wanted to do this year. Things that are a lot more fun and memorable than eating. Please let me know how YOU did!

It sounds like you had a wonderful Easter! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I too could not indulge in my usual Holiday fest but not because I have been sleeved, but because I am on my pre-op diet. And I ws so happy that it didn't even bother me that everyone was eating all my favorites and I couldn't even have a bite (liquid diet). It really did prove to me that life is about the people you share it with not the food you eat. Best of luck to you on your knee replacements.

My dad always does a huge spread for easter. Besides Thanksgiving, it's the biggest food holiday of the year for my family. I'd usually glut myself too... but this was my first sleeved holiday too. I took a tiny dop of mashed potatos, a little medallion of ham, a plain roll, and a little bit of cottage cheese. I sat down and my BF asked if I was going to be able to eat all of that. I realized that even though I was serving myself sleeve portions, it was still too much. So I had a samle of everything and it was done. I tossed half of my plate. Later I did have a tiny sliver, about 3 bites of my dad's from scratch chocolate cake. It's my favorite thing in the world. It tasted amazing, but those three bites were plenty. Too rich for me now, though in the past I would have had a huge piece. I feel victorious!

I was really disappointed with myself on Easter. I took a small salad plate and had a little taste of everything, which was fine. But then a while later, I had a little more,and in the evening..a little more. I fell back into my old habit of grazing thou on a much smaller scale. All I can do is to try harder, I'm glad there are no big holidays for a while.

Thanks for sharing I haven't been sleeved yet but I thought as I served a ham eggplant pastas kalbasi kraut etc. what will I do if I was sleeved and I am glad you all shared. I enjoy cooking and eating but I just thought its just one day out of how many other days and the fact I want to feel good all the other days in what is getting me phsyed to have this done. Thanks

I was really disappointed with myself on Easter. I took a small salad plate and had a little taste of everything, which was fine. But then a while later, I had a little more,and in the evening..a little more. I fell back into my old habit of grazing thou on a much smaller scale. All I can do is to try harder, I'm glad there are no big holidays for a while.

You know, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. I have a real problem with grazing, too, so I understand your frustration with trying to kick this habit. However, my mom told me she talked to someone who had lost and maintained 250 pounds after gastric bypass. She asked her how she handles days like Thanksgiving, and the woman told her that she can only eat a little bit at a time, but she can do it several times, and at the end she feels she really enjoyed the holiday. Frankly, everyone grazes on holidays. It's not what we do on those few special days a year that will make or break us, it's what we do the other 360 days a year. So give yourself a break, and just worry about today.

My dad always does a huge spread for easter. Besides Thanksgiving, it's the biggest food holiday of the year for my family. I'd usually glut myself too... but this was my first sleeved holiday too. I took a tiny dop of mashed potatos, a little medallion of ham, a plain roll, and a little bit of cottage cheese. I sat down and my BF asked if I was going to be able to eat all of that. I realized that even though I was serving myself sleeve portions, it was still too much. So I had a samle of everything and it was done. I tossed half of my plate. Later I did have a tiny sliver, about 3 bites of my dad's from scratch chocolate cake. It's my favorite thing in the world. It tasted amazing, but those three bites were plenty. Too rich for me now, though in the past I would have had a huge piece. I feel victorious!

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like you had a wonderful Easter! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I too could not indulge in my usual Holiday fest but not because I have been sleeved, but because I am on my pre-op diet. And I ws so happy that it didn't even bother me that everyone was eating all my favorites and I couldn't even have a bite (liquid diet). It really did prove to me that life is about the people you share it with not the food you eat. Best of luck to you on your knee replacements.

Thank you, and congratulations on doing so well. I know if I had been on liquids I would have really felt sorry for myself, You're on a good path here!

Thanks for sharing I haven't been sleeved yet but I thought as I served a ham eggplant pastas kalbasi kraut etc. what will I do if I was sleeved and I am glad you all shared. I enjoy cooking and eating but I just thought its just one day out of how many other days and the fact I want to feel good all the other days in what is getting me phsyed to have this done. Thanks

It was really no big deal, and I'm happy if my post helped reinforce your decision. It's going to be great!