Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Forums And Vsl! Hi Ya'll :)

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. I have not yet had my surgery but have had my initial meeting with my doctor. He wants to do the sleeve, but, I am not sure my insurance will cover. I hope it does as I prefer the sleeve to the bypass.

I am 50 years old and have been obese for about 30 years. I have tried multiple diets, exercise regimens and drugs and either didn't loose any weight or did loose and gained it back. So hopefully this will be my lifesaver. Even though I am about 7 months out, I am already working on drinking the requisite liquids per day and am slowly making my meals smaller and smaller and am working on learning to chew - chew - chew! :) I am doing a walk at home program as my small town has horrible sidewalks.

My biggest concern and issue is I am single. I moved here from the South about 3 years ago. I work alot and do not have many friends so basically I am doing this alone. I am strong and know I can do it but I do wonder how much others here needed help before and after surgery. I am not so worried about the before as I work alot and that will keep me occupied. It is the after that has me concerned. Has anyone else here done it alone? I work second shift and cannot attend the support meetings and that worries me too.

Also, with the new diet and the liquids, is it hard to do all of it and work? I work in a manufacturing plant and my job does allow me a lot of freedom as far as restroom breaks but sometimes I just can't pull away. I know I am asking for tmi...but in reality how many times a day do you hit the restroom? lol If that makes sense at all!

Excuse me for this being sooo long ..I am longwinded in real life also! :lol:

I was sleeved in October 2011. Basically did it by myself. You can do it but it will be more difficult. The first couple of weeks I didnt feel horrible but you take in so little that you dont have a lot of energy. The first couple of weeks I wondered what the heck I had done to myself. After 4 weeks I was thrilled. Now at 6 months out I am down 120 lbs. feel great and would do it again in a heartbeat. As far as the bathroom. It is the same as before for me. Bowel and bladder havent been affected other than a healthier diet makes me more "regular". I am a nurse so I was worried about that also. Hasnt been a big deal. Hardest part I found was eating at work. When you only have a short meal break it is difficult to get enough down properly while at work. Once you get on solids you will have to work really hard to make sure you get the proper nutrition in while you are working or you will feel like poop. I hope it goes well for you this surgery is life saving!

Where do u live?

Where do u live?

I live outside of Allentown, PA

Thanks for the info on the bathroom breaks. Like I said, I am lucky that with my job I can break away more than the others. My bathroom habits have become more normal in the past year as I cut out sodas and junk. I had cancerous polyps removed last year and had to start eating healthier then. Like you, I am limited as far as time I get on breaks..I get an 11 minute break and a 30 minute lunch, but, I can always try to finish it at my desk if need be.

Congrats on 120 pounds!!!! THAT IS AMAZING! You have given me hope again. I have gone from really wanting this to jumping on the poor pitiful me "I'm all alone" bandwagon and talking myself out of it. You have helped me not to be so scared!

Thanks! :)