Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Deol's patients: pre-op diet question

Dr. Deol mentioned briefly last night at the seminar that the length of the pre-op diet depended on BMI. Mine is 45 --can anyone give me an idea of how long I'll have to do the Optifast?

Maria

Hi Juno I just had the band done with Dr. Deol on July 31. I was a bad case tho because my BMI was over 70 and Beaumont will not operate on a person over 500lbs. I was on the Garden Light (which is like Optifast) at the Unisource Comprehensive Weight Loss center for about 5 months. I lost 85lbs pre op so I could have the surgery done.

She normally has her patients as it says in the handbook I have go on the Optifast for 6 weeks prior to surgery. Keep in mind the Optifast is to prepare you for the liquids after surgery (which can suck)

The program she has works if you follow it. If you are worried about feeling hungry don't be. The first 4-5 days are the worst while your body detoxes (lol) but after that you do not feel hungry. Your stomach is contantly full, you just have to tell your brain that!!

If you have any more questions I will try to answer them for you!!

Thanks Coach!

I have had to postpone sugery for a bit. My PCP wants me to see him for 4 more months before he will sign the insurance form from Dr. Deol. I'm going to try to lose 20lbs in the meantime, then have surgery in January after the holidays. Gives me something to look forward to!

Maria

Hi Juno610,

I am one of Dr Deol's pt's. My surgery is this Monday 9-18-06. I had a BMI of 52. She put me on Optifast for 4 weeks. I thought that was crazy, and I didn't think I could do it. But here I am 21 lbs lighter, and only 6 days left. It's truly not so bad as long as you have a lot of support in your household, and keep in mind how very important it is to stick to it. I was told that some people who didn't stick to it got to the surgery and was cut open but the band was not installed because the liver had not shrunk and the Doc could not get around it. I tell ya what, if I am operated on I sure as hell want to wake up with the band! But anyways, CoachBuckley's right, after a few days you're really not hungry you just have to convince your brain of that. If you have to go on Optifast I suggest the drinks and the Soup, especially the Tomato (and I hate tomato soup) be sparingly with the bars they are NASTY! Best of luck, hope to see you at the support groups.

Hi April! Glad to hear the liquids weren't too horrible :puke: I did HMR twice in the past, so I know I can stick to the liquids -- I just wanted to know how long (i'm so impatient!). I will try the Soups though -- thanks for the heads up.

Good luck on Monday! Let us know how everything goes!

Maria