Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here I am at almost two months and i have had lots of questions answered on these forums. Now I have a new situation. I have not been getting enough liquids and some days not even my two Protein Shakes. Since I found the timing tricky about not drinking before and after eating, I find it just easier to not bother with eating. It seems pointless when the amounts are so insignificant anyway. Do you think this will slow down my weight loss and/or create problems. I would like to think that not eating would make me lose more weight but I figure it couldn't be that easy. I want to take advantage of this time of decreased appetite as I still worry about enjoying food too much and possibly eating too much later on. I have it stuck in my mind that many people do not reach their goals and that I was told the surgery expects 60% loss of excess weight. I keep saying I want to lose 100% of my weight. I guess I am not confident in my ability to maintain the new lifestyle and worry that I must get the good habits firmly in place before the time comes that I can and will want to eat anything. Nothing to this point, has bothered my stomach and I do enjoy everything I have eaten. I just figure that for now I am more concerned with getting in the fluids. I do have to watch myself when it comes to not drinking before or after eating as I do get heartburn. Fortunately I look forward to my choices of what to eat and feel like I have more food than I can eat. That's another story.. I enjoy all foods and am happily eating what I like. Just NOT these past several days when I have chosen to eat nothing.

Advice?

Getting thinner, I do not want this to sound like I am lecturing but, dear you need to eat. Not eating does not fix your weight, it could cause more severe issues. The sleeve is a tool to help you -just not eating is scary unless there is something medically going on? If not, why not try going back to basics and moving forward slowly? Start with Protein shakes, scrambled eggs, refried Beans, split pea Soup and basically mushies. Then progress to lean meats like deli sliced turkey, then eventually more dense Protein like rotisserie chicken, without skin. It is about learning and eating right for your health.

If you are not comfortable, please contact counselor and nutritionist for assistance. We want you to be well. Many on this forum have great suggestions, Irene, Lil Misdiva, has a basics bootcamp and always offers great advise. Susan, Lissa, Feedyoureye (if you are vegetarian), and many more are here and they help folks with their personal experience and knowledge.

Please take care of you, sip and get your protein/food on board. Don't want to see you back in hospital, want to see you prosper in your life journey.

Sandy

My surgeon told me that for the first three weeks after surgery w/o Protein we burn fat. But after w/o Protein we lose muscle mask. I know that since being here in the mountains and I had forgot to bring my Protein drinks, I have felt drained of energy.

I hope u start practicing eating healthy now because u won't develop these new habits w/o beginning today. It takes 28 days to change a habit. This is the first day of the rest of ur life

My surgeon told me that for the first three weeks after surgery w/o Protein we burn fat. But after w/o Protein we lose muscle mask. I know that since being here in the mountains and I had forgot to bring my protein drinks, I have felt drained of energy.

I hope u start practicing eating healthy now because u won't develop these new habits w/o beginning today. It takes 28 days to change a habit. This is the first day of the rest of ur life

You can severely sabotage your own weight loss by not eating. Our bodies can and will go into starvation mode when we don't eat enough to keep them fueled. You can also create an eating disorder. I know that I used to joke that I "beat anorexia", but you can become anorexic. What's more, not eating means your body is going to burn what's available to it, including your muscles ... like your HEART muscle. A weakened heart creates WAY more issues than being fat creates.

Please find a way to eat properly. It's not a race to the finish line. If you're truly concerned about your ability to eat, then do as Sandyd suggested and start over with Protein shakes. You should also find a place to log your food intake. I'm on My Fitness Pal as Lissa912. Please join me there and add me as a friend (that goes for anyone who would like to do so). I find that seeing other people's diaries helps me to stay on track...and it gives me new ideas for what I can eat.

Within the first 2--3 weeks post-op, it's truly difficult to eat and get your Protein in, but it's very important that you move forward with your diet. This is NOT a diet. You will eventually have to eat. Why not use this time to learn proper eating habits? That's the only way you're going to get to goal AND maintain the weight loss.

Good luck!!

Are you counting Protein shakes as "eating?" Some people get confused and don't drink before and after a Protein shake...but it's liquid, so if that's your meal, you don't have to wait to drink afterwards because you won't feel restriction from it anyway. If you are having trouble getting everything in, I encourage you to make a schedule. I also think it's okay if you drink almost up to the time you start to eat--maybe wait five minutes or so. I know some surgeons say wait 15 minutes and some say half an hour, but liquids leave your stomach pretty fast if that's all that's in there.

Have you lost your hunger? If so, it won't make a whole lot of difference when you start drinking after your meal as long as you give your stomach enough time to start digestion. If you have lost your hunger, waiting an hour to drink so you "feel fuller longer" doesn't make any sense, because you're not going to feel hunger empty or full. Just don't drink immediately afterward or it will hurt. And maybe make you vomit.