Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perhaps A Disgusting Topic But Advice Always Appreciated

I feel somewhat reluctant to discuss such an unpleasant subject but I have had such good advice from this forum that I have come rely upon you as my sources of information.

My problem is with not recognizing I am too full until I get that awfully uncomfortable feeling like a baseball is stuck in my neck. I feel I am not eating big portions but sometimes must be making a mistake by having too much food intake. When this happens I feel nauseous but do not want to vomit. I feel a need to burp and find myself making myself burp. What happens next is that after burping, I have a regurgitation of foamy saliva. I know this is a gross description - sorry. I then spit that saliva out. I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Do you think that saliva is necessary to help break down the food in the stomach. I confess to not being aware of how food is broken down and how the stomach processes food. I guess I know little about the digestive process. I find that in addition to needing to get rid of some of this saliva, that I also produce alot of saliva, almost wanting to drool during these uncomfortable episodes. I almost wish I did vomit, as that is what my doctor told me would happen if I ate too much. Instead I have such uncomfortable feelings with the above events. I find it especially unusual that I feel almost faint and it is at that time that I feel myself producing large quantities of saliva in my mouth. The burping helps and seems mandatory at that time to help relieve the feeling of being too full.

Does anyone have a similar experience or can offer an explanation of why this process occurs. It does pass and generally within 10 min. I no longer feel sick but it does take a good half hour, minimum, before I feel comfortable again. I wish I could tell that I was eating too much before this happens. Thankfully it only happens about once a week. I guess I do not eat slowly enough but I never think I am overeating as I have certainly never had more than a half cup of food at any one time. I am 8 weeks postop. Wow, it seems hard to believe that 8 weeks has passed. I thought it was less. Time is flying and yet I still feel very new to this way of eating and lifestyle change.

yep, it's called "sliming". bleck ! It happens to me when I don't chew something solid well enough or eat too quickly or eat too much. The trick is : chew chew chew and then chew some more, swallow, put utensil down, talk or listen or hum a tune, take another bite, etc. Give yourself a chance to feel full before it's too late (and one bite too much is too late).

I don't know what the feeling faint thing is all about but I guess it just goes along with being nauseous.

The foamy saliva is what we usually refer to as the slimes/slimys. It's totally normal. In my experience generally happens when you eat and drink at the same time and your sleeve is full or if you've eaten too fast.

I haven't had the sleeve, but I do have a band, and we get the slimes, too. Basically, your stomach is full (or in the case of bands, sometimes you are blocked), and there's no place for your saliva to go so it starts sitting on top of the food and backing up into your esophogus.

Eventually you have to PB it up (productive burp...lol). It's not pleasant, and probably is an indication you're not chewing carefully enough, or you're eating too much.

yep, it's called "sliming". bleck ! It happens to me when I don't chew something solid well enough or eat too quickly or eat too much. The trick is : chew chew chew and then chew some more, swallow, put utensil down, talk or listen or hum a tune, take another bite, etc. Give yourself a chance to feel full before it's too late (and one bite too much is too late).

I don't know what the feeling faint thing is all about but I guess it just goes along with being nauseous.

thanks. How did you know about this? I was never told anything about expecting this to happen. I suspect you are correct. I DO eat too quickly, I probably DON"T chew long enough and I MAY have eaten too much or even possibly drank too soon before eating. I find it so very difficult to time the eating and drinking. I fint it so difficult to get the drinking done, even a small amount, that I wonder if I should even bother trying to fit in eating. I don't know why it seems such a slow process to drink. I admit that I have never been a huge drinker and I am not crazy about the Protein shakes but I AM trying to improve.

I suspect the feeling faint is part of feeling so nauseous. BUt I still find it odd that at the same time as I am trying to get rid of the regurgitated slime, I am also producing copious amounts of saliva. IT is all very strange and new to me. I really appreciate you confirming that this is not unusual. Gotta admit it is not like anything that happened prior to surgery!

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/we7dJlY/]

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/we7dJlY/weight.png[/image]

[/link]

I haven't had the sleeve, but I do have a band, and we get the slimes, too. Basically, your stomach is full (or in the case of bands, sometimes you are blocked), and there's no place for your saliva to go so it starts sitting on top of the food and backing up into your esophogus.

Eventually you have to PB it up (productive burp...lol). It's not pleasant, and probably is an indication you're not chewing carefully enough, or you're eating too much.

Thank you so much for your comments. I was really beginning to feel like I was weird in having this reaction. Your explanation makes sense as I do know that I don't chew carefully enough. and I think I am still eating too quickly. I am guilty of eating, nibbling almost on the go as it hardly seems worth it to sit down to a few bites of food.< /p>

Wear a watch and after you swallow, wait at least a full minute before you take another bite. At least until you get used to your timing. Another good thing to do is use a baby spoon and fork set. Helps you take smaller bites.

p.s.... you live in my FAVORITE place on earth! :)

I had a lapband revision - to sleeve - done two weeks ago. I can tell you EVERYTHING about sliming, and copious amounts of saliva . . . . I lived with it daily for 5 YEARS! The sliming is actually your bodies way of trying to "wash down" something (food) which is stuck, The longer it's stuck, the more saliva your body produces (it thinks you may choke on the food).

The reason your getting is stuck is a bit trickier. For me, it was almost always due to me not chewing my food until it was liquified. Also, if/when you over eat, your food will begin backing up your esophagus,

Just slow down. I know it seems hard, but you're not doing your sleeve any good with regurgitating. Don't force yourself to eat more. Like "Spatters3" said, take a bite, put down your fork/spoon, chew, chew, chew, swallow, look around, chat a bit, or read a page of a book or magazine, then take another bite.

Most importantly - DON'T GET TOO DISCOURAGED -- you'll get there.

Listen to Dooter. She is absolutely correct. I had this happen to me once when I ate too quickly. I did the same approach of taking smaller bites and then evaluating how I felt after that bite ... about a minute, then either took another or stopped.

We can't scarf our food like we did before, nor should we want to. We just had 85% of our stomach removed, for crying out loud!!

Just slow down and all will be fine.

I guess i am still under feeding my sleeve cause thankfully this has never happened to me! Sounds horrible!

You are not under feeding your sleeve ... believe me. I don't think that is possible. And yes, it is horrible. Only had to happen once for me to change, but I think some of us have to push the limits to know where they are.

Search the site for slimes to learn more from people's experiences.