Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Surgery Weight Gain - Help!

Last May, a WL Dr put paperwork in to my ins co to get a pre-authorization to begin a12-month weight loss counseling program. I weighed 206. During the summer I had a terrible family event and put on 20 lbs. On May 2 my yr will be finished and the Dr will put thru the final paperwork and it's going to show that I gained. I'm worried I will be turned down so now I'm desparate to try an lose 15 lbs in 5 weeks. A little depressed because I don't know if I can do it...... His surgical muse has even penciled me in for June 26. I'm do close but feel so far.

I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks on the pre-op liquid diet. Maybe you can do this for 5 weeks? You will drop some serious weight.

Thx for ur reply!! What consists of that diet! I'm uplifted knowing that it might be possible!! My Dr will not be using a pre- op diet so I'm not sure what it is.

Is that what a pre- op diet is? Protein Shakes 3 times a day? I have no clue. Thank you!

It consisted of 3 Protein Shakes (bariatric advantage), sugar fee Jello and low sodium broth. No caffeine, no sugar and lots of Water. The first 3 days are so hard, but once you past this it is not too difficult. I hope this helps.

Does it have to be Bariatric Advantage. I have several others. How much Jello and broth? Thank you!! I hope I can be strong thru it!!

No it does not have to be that brand, but it needs to be low in sugar/carbs and high in Protein. Mine is 27 grams of protein per 8 oz. You can have as much Jello or broth as you want.

Remember, it's more mental than anything. If you want the sleeve and you feel you need to show a loss to be approved, then you can do it. I never thought I could and I can honestly say that I did not cheat once and lost 12lbs in 2 weeks. The Dr threatened to not do the surgery if I didn't follow the directions and I wasn't going to let that happen. You can do it. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Mine was 2 Protein shakes a day and one meal with 3oz lean Protein and all the vegetables I wanted prepared with no extra fats. No breads, crackers, Pasta, etc.

I can make a really filling salad with lots of veggies and 3 oz lean protein!!

I lost 13 lbs in 2 weeks.

I have a question, with the liquid diet, how much carbs do you take? does your Protein Shake has carbs? as I know if carbs are not consumes, weight loss will be from muscle not from fat.

can someone inform me about this?

thank you

Yes, 2011weight, I would like to know the allowed carbs as well. I think I can do this. I got through yesterday but i had 1 shake, plain yogurt, sugar-free Jello salad and chix. I worry about the sodium in broth so I haven't had that. I'm not able to walk yet because my back hurts. I'm wondering if all the ppl in this thread lost their weight without exercise during ther liquid diet.....

What would the calorie count be on a pre-op diet? I'm entering my meals into Myfitness pal.com. If I choose under 1200 cal a day, it shows me losing weight slower.

I think it is around 800-900 calories per day.