Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Long Term Complications??!!!!!

I have not had any surgery as of yet. I was all wound up about having it in 3 weeks - saw my GP today for a quick check-up - expected full support. Instead he told me to step back and carefully investigate the LONG term complications of lap-banding surgery. I will be paying for the surgery out of pocket, consequently, he informed me that my insurance will NOT pay for surgery, or ANYTHING, for complications. I hear erosion and blockages as terrms being brought up. What are these - what are the stats-where can I obtain long-term stats????????? HELP!!!!

Dolores, it sounds to me like your doctor is not a big fan of WLS. The comments he's making are a little over the top. He can't know what your insurance coverage will and will not cover in the future, for one thing. (In general, if you have a medical emergency of any sort your insurance will cover it. If they excluded the surgery in the first place, they likely won't pay for any elective adjustments or non-emergent care that is band-related.)

As for long-term complications, there really isn't much data on those since the band itself has only been in use for a little over a decade world-wide. During that time, its design and the surgical techniques have been improved, so the chances of complications have dropped considerably.

Erosion and blockages sure sound scary, but they're not as bad as they sound. Erosion is a risk with any type of implanted medical device; it means the wearing-away of the body tissue in contact with the device. In bandsters, that means the band will slowly wear into the stomach tissue, sometimes all the way through. But it's a slow process and not dangerous. We have several post-band people on this board who suffered erosion and had to have their bands removed. Upsetting as that is, as far as I know none of them are dealing with any continuing health issues due to their banding experience.

"Blockages" are something else, and are much more serious when they happen to RNY patients. It's not even a term normally associated with banding at all. While we can be too tight and things can get stuck in the stoma, it's a situation almost always readily addressed by a band adjustment (letting the Fluid out and making the stoma larger). As long as the patient gets care in a timely manner, this is highly unlikely to create a serious problem.

Hang around here and you'll see all sorts of problems come up, and just as quickly go away. GOod luck and keep researching! Don't let one person's opinion sway your decision.

Dolores: I think your Doctor is giving you very sound advice. There can be serious complications and I had them. Even so, I'd still get the band again if I had to do it all over again, complications and all.

You know what they say about hindsight being 20/20? I was so desperate for a possible solution to a lifetime of emotional and physical pain about my obesity, I didn't want to ask some questions or even worse I didn't really want to hear the answers.

The questions I didn't ask that I wish I had: (and I was a self pay)

What does the selfpay actually cover? (Everyone says how simple the surgery was is and is usually is but!!! not for me.)

Does it cover a 2nd surgery if there are complications?

HOw many days in the hospital does it cover?

What if there is slippage and blockage? Does it cover the test to determine what is going on? (My Doctor said errosion can be very serious if the fluids from the stomach get into the body cavity and in my case it would NOT have been slow. Everyone is different!)

What happens if there are problems right after surgery? What about several months after surgery? Who pays for it?

What does it cost to get fills under flouroscope?

How many lapbands has the Doctor done? (any less than 250 and I might be concerned)

How is the Doctors followup support? How many times can you go back to see him if you have questions before he starts charging you?

What are HIS/HER statistics for errosion and slippage? Removal or replacement?

The lapband surgery is relatively new and they really don't know for sure what happens in 10 or 20 years to a lapband.

I had a second surgery and my Doctor was very good about working with me and the hospital reguarding charges. I was very lucky. He wanted to be sure it wasn't going to break the bank! My bank.

Best wishes to you!

I've had complications too (covered by insurance) and in my opinion a self-pay needs to consider not whether you can afford to pay for ONE operation out of pocket, but whether you can afford to pay for TWO operations. If it's going to put you on the street, then it's a much tougher decision.

But if you want this and you can afford to pay if complications arise, I say go for it. I would absolutely get my band again, and even with my complications I don't regret it at all. Good luck with your decision!

I had my band removed, very costly and painful experience, but I still think it was the best option available. I am seriously considering getting another one placed, my only suggestion to you is to ask for the low profile port. Mine was on my right lower rib and truly from the day it was put in to the day it was removed it bothered me[not true pain but definitely discomfort and it did interfere with sex and just cuddling, almost like an electric shock anytime it was touched]. For some reason it seemed to stick out too much....

Dolores, also.....you were fortunate that your GP at least knew something about the lapband. My GB just said "I don't know anything about it" and when I gave her literature, I don't think she had any interest in knowing more!! I need to change GP's.