Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help..I don't understand

:cry I got banded on June 1, 2006. I am very disappointed so far. I got my first fill on June 26th. I got 1.5cc. I followed the doc's instructions, but had no restriction at all. I could literally eat anything I wanted. Needless to say, I lost very little weight. What I did lose was while I was on the liquids. I called back after 2 weeks, and was told to come back for another fill. On July 24th, I went back for my second fill. He said he gave me .3 cc's. I could not get even a swallow of liquids to go down. The next day I went back for an unfill. The nurse who did this unfill said I had a total of 2.0 cc's in the band. She said he must have read it wrong and she pulled me back to 1.7 cc's total. I went home and again I could not get a swallow of liquids to go down. I went back the very next day, and she pulled me back to 1.2 cc's total. She said my band needed to "rest awhile". My problem/question is this: I have less in my band now than when I got my first fill, but everyday I am throwing up to some degree. At some times, I can literally eat what I want, as long as I chew it well. At other times, I cant get even a bite down without it coming up. And when it starts, it keeps coming up. Yesterday for instance...at lunch I took literally 3 bites of chicken and I barely made it to the restroom. I threw it all up. I stopped eating until I got home from work. I cooked a small Lean Cuisine meal and sat down to try to eat it. I took approx 5 small bites and up it came. Before it was said and done, I had thrown up 6 times in a row. I mean, I would throw up, sit down and feel better...a couple of minutes later I would have to throw up again. This happened over and over. This has been happening almost everyday since the "unfill". I thought maybe I am still taking too big bites. That could be because I am hungry. This brings me to the next problem. If I can eat, and its not coming up, then I can literally eat what I want. This scares me because I am not getting that full feeling at all. Needless to say, I am not losing anything. It's like I am going through all of this for nothing. I am so disappointed. My doc has no time to be asked anything (which makes me furious). I dont know what to do. My chest hurts and feels raw inside. I guess so after throwing up so much. I am scared to eat. And still not losing weight. What is going on? How do you know when you get to that "sweet spot"? Could someone please explain this to me? I dont know if this is just me not doing something right or what? Maybe I am at this spot, but I am still not doing something correctly. I dont know. I am scheduled for another fill on Aug.21. and I am scared. Thanks for listening to me, and please help me understand what is going on. I am so frustrated.....:think :think :think

You need to stop and go on liquids. Constant throwing up makes your stomach swell, and everything after that goes downhill. My doctor suggests liquids on day of fill and 3 days after, then mushies. Different doctor's have different procedures, but most restrict your food intake to some degree. Most on here will tell you after a flare up to go to liquids.

It takes several attempts to get the fills just right or the sweet spot. You may not know right away since some fills take a while to "kick in". How are you leaving the doctor's office without trying to drink Water at least? That should be pretty standard with any fill. If you can't drink a 1/4 or 1/2 of bottle of Water, you are too filled. Take water with you if your doctor doesn't provide it and don't leave until you can drink the water. It will save you a trip.

I hope this helps. As always, you should do what your doctor says. I just think you are irritated and until you get your stomach settled down, you won't know about your fill.

First, put yourself on a clear liquid diet for at least two days. Then try some Protein Drinks, or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Drink these slowly, do not push it AT ALL.

After that, very easy and mild mushies, like applesauce, yogurt, oatmeal, some Soup.< /p>

No messing around with this. This can be the difference in your health and the life of your band. I know it is frustrating and you are scared...but you need to take control of this situation, and understand that surgeons are surgeons...and each person is different and responds differently...so your body is giving you some strong messages. Listen.

Please post and let us know if you are responding well to Clear Liquids, and we'll know how to advise from there...it is hard, but it will be worth it to let your stomach heal.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this....((hug))

Oh, something I should have mentioned earlier...it's really important to learn that just because you CAN eat anything, doesn't mean you SHOULD eat it...I know, I know...it's a big problem...but something to start thinking about, anyway....

Good luck, Cindy

All that vomiting has to be hard on your stomach. I find the Isopure protien drink that you get at GNC very nice to quiet the stomach. It is almost clear, good nutrition, and usually easy to go down. It doesn't taste too bad. If my stomach is giving me a fit (nothing like your are describing tho) I try Isopure for a few days.