Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good News & Many Questions

So today I saw the gastroentologist and was very lucky to get an appointment for the endoscopy for this Thursday and my results should be faxed over to my surgeon by Monday. So now here are where my questions come because once everything is cleared I will just be given a date to come and have my surgery without seeing anyone;

1. How soon should I start my liquid diet? Should it be more then 2 weeks?

2. What type of liquid diet should I be on?

3. I was reading on some papers that I was given that I can't swallow any pills for the first month, if this is true how do you get your Vitamins in? I take topomax for my Migraines and accutane for my acne, will I have to stop taking them and if so for how long?

This is it for now I just want to be prepared when I get a date for surgery. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer my questions.

Do you have anyone you can contact at your surgeon's office to ask the questions to? All surgeons are different and require different preop diets. The Vitamins that I will be taking are all chewable. You will need to check with him about continuing your other medication. If you can't check with your surgeon's office, then I suggest contact your primary doctor. Sorry I couldn't help more, but these are definately questions to check with a doctor. Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Thank you I plan on calling my nutritionist, but wanted people's input

Whoo hoo! Almost there!!

My liquid diet was 2 weeks and consisted of Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch and a small meal with vegetables and 3 oz of Protein for dinner. Snacks could only be SF Jello or SF popsicles. If I got too b*tchy I could have some bullion. (I had bullion!) :huh: But all surgeons are different it seems.

I do use chewable Vitamins but have been taking pills since the day after surgery in the hospital and the ones my surgeon prescribed for stomach acid and gallstone prevention are capsules, but I also take a pill I was taking before surgery. Again, each surgeon is different.

Everything varies from surgeon to surgeon.. But I was on a 7 day liquid diet prior to surgery...Most recommend chewable or liquid vits to start...i did chewables until I was 10 weeks out and then started on gummies... I did a liquid Vit D because it was very low....I'm not sure about ceasing your meds... your surgeon will tell you all of that... I had to get my IUD (Mirena) removed... hopefully I can get it replaced next week!!!

Congrats and I so happy for you!!!

I had my one-on-one with my surgeon today. I had a laundry list of questions and he loved how prepared I was. He doesn't use a pre-op diet.

I was also concerned about taking my 2 meds. He said that I shouldn't have a problem but not to take them together - that I should be able to sip an ounce of Water at a time.