Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Checking In - 5 Days Post Op!

Hi all!

Hope all the new sleevers are doing well and the soon-to-be-sleeved are ready for this awesome journey! I lost 11 lbs. on my liquid diet and I am 5 days postop today and when I weighed myself this morning, I was down 10 lbs. from surgery! 24 lbs. from my highest weight of 287.

I've been doing well - no nausea or vomiting at any point postop, stopped pain meds on postop day 2, gas pain was bad the first three days but since then, not a problem. Incisions are healing well and starting to itch :) I do have a drain in (routine for my surgeon) and will have it removed tomorrow morning at my first postop checkup (and I can't wait! It's driving me nuts and is uncomfortable!) I will also have my second leak test at my appt tomorrow. Not really looking forward to that but I am freaked out about the possibility of a leak so it is definitely important to me to have it checked and be sure everything is closed up tight!

I have been focusing mostly on fluids to make absolutely sure I am not in danger of getting dehydrated - today was my best day and I got in 56 oz. of fluids. I was on Clear Liquids the first two days postop and now full liquids until Weds. I am supposed to move to purees on Weds. but will see how I am doing. I have gotten down half a Protein Shake in about 45 minutes 3 days in a row and have used the Unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder and a tiny bit of Greek yogurt but the highest I have gone on Protein so far is 36g and that was only yesterday. Today I was back down on protein numbers again so must work on that. I have tried cream of chicken soup twice and my sleeve apparently doesn't like it - it gave me an uncomfortable indigestion-type feeling for hours after I tried it both times. I was not sent home on an acid reducer and I have no idea if that might help but I'm not trying that one again for a while :)

I have been walking a little each day and trying to increase it a little more each day. Today I even took a shower AND went to the grocery store! ha!! Look at me! My stamina is getting better and my biggest question to my surgeon tomorrow is, "When am I cleared for cardio?" I am ready to hit it as soon as he gives me the go ahead!

How is everybody else doing?

Hi Jess! :) I'm so happy to see that things are going well for you! :) I doubt you'll get cleared for strenuos cardio until at least week 3. He'll probably tell you to keep walking, but the benefits of the walking add up fast! Are you loving the book the nutritionist gives out? I swear I lived and breathed that book for the first few weeks.

You're doing great on the weight loss so far! I count from my highest weight and haven't quite made 90 pounds yet, but I'm really stepping up the exercise now so I'll get there soon.

If you see this and you're stil in Sebastian after 11:30, give me a call. I'd love to meet up with you. I'll PM my number again in case you don't have it with you! :)

Thanks so much Lissa! I would have loved to get together with you but had promised my kids they could go with me and then we would have a picnic out by the Water (they are on spring break this week) and then we had to rush back to Orlando for an appt. The checkup went great - got my drain out (it was somewhat painful!) and I am so glad it is gone. My incisions are all healing well and he removed all the steri strips. He cleared me for cardio and light weights in one more week and I am totally fine with that. I am just going to walk until then. I go back in 4 weeks to see him again. He was very pleased with my Fluid intake and how I am losing so far, as am I!! Maybe when I go for my checkup next time we can meet up!