Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Positive Feedback On This Procedure. Some Reviews Are Very Scary!

I would so appreciate any feedback you guys can give me on this procedure. I've been reading about some pretty bad experiences people have had long term. I really want this surgery because I feel it is my last option. I understand that some people will have complications but the things I've been reading, state that people aren't acutally able to get enough nutrition so they start to have all of these problems long term. Please give me some positive feedback here!!

There are no issues with the sleeve causing malnutrition. The RNY procedure does work on a malabsorbtive (i can't spell that word) basis, as much of the small intestine is bypassed. The rare complications I've read about with the sleeve have to do with staple line leakage from a stapler misfire (RARE) or if someone is converting from band to sleeve, there can be problems from the damage that the band caused. Sometimes scar tissue or erosion make the staple line leak.

We have to take Vitamins, but not NEARLY to the degree that RNY patients have to. I really had a hard time finding ANY bad press about the sleeve. The national average of percentage of leaks is 1%. My doctor's average is .01%, so I was very very confident about the whole thing. I did not want a foreign object in my body, and I did not want my innards cut and reconfigured, so this procedure was perfect for me. Simple, clean, minimal risk. I couldn't be happier.

There are not really any long term studies, so to speak, as this has been a stand alone procedure for a lot less time than the RNY, DS and the band. I think maybe....10 years-ish? It's been done for many years as part of a Duodenal Switch and in other rare instances.

Check my information, as I don't want to give you any wrong data. I'm just pulling this stuff out of the side of my brain here....

Hi Lisa :)

I'm over 18 months out from my revision from Lap Band to VSG - and I'm doing excellent. I had a blood test only a month ago (have shared the results here) and they are great. The only problem I had is low blood count (anemia - need to up my iron) which is normal for me. I've been anemic pretty much my whole life and runs in my family.

Other than that I'm able to keep up with all my supplements and all my levels are right on. I am my own advocate too, so I'm always getting copies of my results to be sure all is well. I DO have a tiny stomach and I'll want to know if anything is borderline or below as it would be a bit more difficult to get them up without quick response and supplements.< /span>

Anyone who doesn't eat properly has the chance of being malnourished, wether they are thin, or overweight, normal sized stomach or tiny - or whatever the case may be.

All the best to you! Do whatever you have to do to be as healthy as you can be. For me, that meant having WLS. :)

Yep. That is so true. One can be very malnourished with a whole stomach if only junk is eaten. Been there, done that!

I'm 14 months post-op and my labs (done last week) are excellent--all in the normal range or above. I take a Multi-Vitamin, B-12, and Calcium but I took the multi and calcium before surgery. I pay attention to what I eat and don't consume a lot of empty calories.

Thank you guys!!! I appreciate the info! I feel much better. I don't have a surgery date as of yet. Just started this journey. I will be a self-pay because of course my insurance will not pay for this procedure. Doesn't pay for much of anything anymore with the high deductibles anyway. <_<

I'm so very glad I found this forum. Most of the feedback is so positive and encouraging. I'm very excited about going on this journey. Like I said before, this is my last option.

Has anyone here had surgery in St. Louis, MO?? Just curious.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome! :)

I had pretty much the picture prefect journey so far. I read so much on this site and made sure I knew as much as possible. I too felt like this was my last option and couldn't be happier. Best wishes.

I had pretty much the picture prefect journey so far. I read so much on this site and made sure I knew as much as possible. I too felt like this was my last option and couldn't be happier. Best wishes.

Thank you!