Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Testosterone And Body Fat Percentage...

I have been studying the relationship of testosterone levels with body fat percentage. I found this in a study:

Previous studies have shown a well-established relationship between testosterone and body fat composition. For example, men with low testosterone levels are characterised by a high body fat percentage. However, despite this well documented link, the causal factors behind this relationship have remained unknown. In this study, the authors show the set of genes that control testosterone levels also control body fat, providing for the first time an underlying causal link to explain this relationship.

I am pretty sure low testosterone contributes to higher levels of body fat but could the reverse be true? Could lowering our body fat percentages, like most of us are doing here, increase our testosterone levels?

What caused me to start thinking about this is the embarrassing fact that my temper has been getting a bit surly lately. This is what happens to me when my test goes up, I remember from my bodybuilding days. I realize that there could be other reasons for my hot headedness. I have managed to keep it a secret from my family, I have confined my tantrums to the destruction of inanimate objects that don't cooperate while they are out of the house. Wow, that sounds insane! Aren't there any other guys out there that bust up annoying, non-functional stuff? :angry: :angry: :angry::blink::rolleyes::D

Uhh, does shooting targets count? :D

That's a very interesting question and makes me wonder too. I think when my testosterone is low more than anything it makes me feel sluggish and maybe a little down. I can tell that a hard lifting session at the gym makes it increase and I do feel a little more aggressive, but in a good way. Like there's a little more pep in my step. I think that's one of the reasons I'm addicted to lifting heavy, it really makes me feel a lot better. I sure could use less fat on my body, but I'm getting there slowly. If it causes my testosterone to increase, that's an added bonus as far as I'm concerned.

It does reverse itself but it will never go back to what it was pre 25. If you need it take it. I been taking it since 28years old. But my last time I did my bloodwork I was in the 2000's. And that was only 1 packet a day. So I quit ,did pct of clomid/nolvadex to wean myself off and restart up my natural production. I am going to restabilize and retest in 3 months. I will see where I stand and go from there.

I've probably had low T my entire life and a couple of years ago was tested. It was tanked, I had LESS T than a lot of women did. So I was started on injections and my life improved. I think this is part of what drove my to the VSG was finally having the bravery to do something about it because of the higher T because of the shots.

Pre-op I was a tad on the low side but still within normal range so we left it at that. Post-op I maintained the same dosage at first and went back in for a check after losing like 80 pounds. The T level was through the roof, like double what it should be! HULK SMASH! ARRRGGGHHH! I was really showing a LOT of aggression and was horny ALL the time. We cut the dosage in half I was back in the correct range.

A few months later and a bunch more weight off I was rechecked and I was STILL in the stratosphere on the T level, so we cut the dosage in half AGAIN.

Last fall I went in after losing about 170 lbs total and was checked again and the lever was still high so we cut it in half again and this is the dosage I am on today, About 1/8 of the dosage I started out on. I think my low T is a congenital issue as I cannot come off the supplements all together as my level will tank. I tend to be on the lower side of normal now WITH the shots so I stick with them.

So YES body fat dilutes the T level and losing it causes it to go higher. I know this for a fact.

See we can agree on things sometimes lol

On another note my trainee Captain was born with Low T. Hes been on since 12. He said his level at age 12 was 34. Talk about the bad luck.

Irrespective the chicken-or-egg aspect if the body fat vs. testosterone issue, there is also an overlying factor of hormones that are locked up in our fat being released as we lose. The women often report this as things being even more variable than usual with them, and the same can apply to us as well.