Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendations

Hello

For weeks I have been searching information on Weight loss surgery, and have read a lot of info on Lap Band Surgery. I would really be interested to know if any of you recommend it, what are the up and down sides to this procedure. Truthfully I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Donna

Hello

For weeks I have been searing information on Weight loss surgery, and have read a lot of info on Lap Band Surgery. I would really be interested to know if any of you recommend it, what are the up and down sides to this procedure. Truthfully I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Donna

Read a lot here, some very good information.

Look for seminars in your area, many doctors host them for free. Do keep in mind that Drs are human too, and have biases towards what they want to do and what they feel is best.

And be really honest with yourself when looking at options.

Be honest with myself....what do you mean?

What I mean is to be honest about your eating habits, for example if you tend to graze all day or eat 3 meals, but big ones. What kind of food you like. What changes you are willing to make after surgery. For example, eating the foods recommended and how much and all that.

As you read and research, just keep what you know about yourself in the back of your mind and see if it fits with what you are reading?

Does that help clarify what I meant?

I tend to eat all morning, ( which is different than most) and do ok in the afternoon and evenings. Eat mostly healthy, have a Sonic run rarely BUT when I sit down to to count the calories I have always had too much by the end of the day and feel so deprived when I try to cut down. I usually can lose for 3/4 weeks then quite. (I exercise when I don't have any injury which is OFTEN!) Good canidate for Lap Band?

Donna,

The lapband was my only option because I didnt want to go so drastic with the Gastric Bypass. Plus the death rate with the bypass is much more than with the lapband. The Lapband is also reversable. It is a great tool and you have to work with it. You can't just put it in there and there is magic weight loss. You have to exercise, eat right, plan your meals, and drink your Water. You need to chew, chew, chew until mushed so you dont get anything stuck. It is something you will have to decide on but I personally am very happy with my band and would do it all over again. But this is something you need to figure out as an individual and would it work for you? There is maintanence involved with getting your fills and follow up tests. But they are far and between.

Are you from the Charlotte area? If so from where? And do you know a Doctor you would like to use? I used Dr. Bauman and loved him. There are others on here that has used Dr. Voelinger? Plus we have a lapbander that used a Mexico Doctor. So there are a lot of choices. Let me know if you need anything else or have anymore questions?

Angie

Angie,

Thank you for the info. I am actually in Monroe Nc. I guess I need to know where is the first place to start, meaning do I call my insurance Co, do I go see my family Dr. or do I just make a appt with the weight loss Dr. and go from there...YIKES!

I went straight to Dr. B's but you may want to go see your Family Doctor and see what they think. Check on your BMI and all that fun stuff to see if you qualify. I would give the doctor of choice a call because sometimes it takes a while to get in there. So I would get an appointment and then go see your PCP.

Angie

Although there may be some variation depending upon your specific circumstances, this is the order I used:

1. I checked coverage with my insurance company.

2. I saw/discussed it with my primary doctor. I did this because he needed to know and many weight loss doctors require a letter of reference.

3. Although I didn't, many doctors require that you attend their seminar.

4. Tests, at minimum psychological and nutrition evaluations.

5. Consultation with weight loss surgeon.

6. Whether you have additional tests or it goes to the insurance next depends upon a number of variables.

7. Insurance approval

8. Pre-op with surgeon.

9. Surgery.

Like any weight loss surgery, it's not magic; you have to do your part. With its adjustability, there is maintenance with the lap-band.

The only "down side" is productive burps (PBs). This happens when you eat too fast and don't chew enough, or when your restricted too tight, or when a food is too dry. In other words, if it can't get through your band and gets hung up, it can come back up on you. IMHO, it's not nearly as bad as vomitting. I don't retch when I PB, and the food isn't digested; there's no stomach acid in it.

I'd do it again in a heart beat! I've lost more so far with my band than I did the first entire year of my last failed attempt at dieting! Being satisfied with less food, I'm also more optimistic about getting weight off and keeping it off!

Hey Donna - Welcome!!!

I love my band. I am not familiar with any doctor in Monroe that does the lap-band. I used Dr. Voellinger of course I love him and now I work for him.:) Have heard good things about Dr. Bauman. We don't care where you go as long as you can get help.

Being a patient and now working for a bariatric office my first thing would be yes call your insurance. Ask them if the cover CPT code 43770. (that is the lap-band in insurance terms.) If you have BCBS of NC they do not cover it at this time. They are reviewing the medical policies so they could soon but we don't know when.

If insurance doesn't cover it and it's something you want there are self-pay options out there. I can help you more off-line about those if that is a route you have to take.

If insurance covers start looking for doctors. Go to the seminars they are all free and it lets you meet your doctor. I went to 3 different dr's seminars and chose the one that I felt best went with me. Yes it delayed the surgery because the semiars were spread out but you are talking about my life and I want the best care I can get. Each doctor has their own way of doing things.

Good Luck and I hope I answered some questions for you...Please feel free to email me or pm if you have any questions. :)

Again Welcome!!!!

I would go ahead and do Dr B's seminar and do the seminar that Presbyterian hospital in CLT has on both the Lapband and the RNY.

I did them both before I made my final decision.

I already knew that my insurance may cover it, I was not approved before, but I knew that people who had my insurance did get approved.

Then I went to my PCP and told him what I was going to do.

Thank you so much for the information. Well we don't have BCBS of NC. We are with United Health Care, So I will check with them and see if they cover this, and then go from there.

Thanks again

Donna