Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Electing To Remove Gallbladder During Vsg

My surgeon is recommending an elective gallbladder removal with my vsg because he says that 4 out of 5 patients will have to have it removed anyway within the following 10-15 years due to the rapid weight loss. Anyone elected to this and did what were the effects?

No. I wish I had this option.

My doctor found a stone in my gall bladder recently. It hasn't given me any problems yet, but I know it will if I don't do anything about it.

I got him to prescribe Actigall to see if I could avoid surgery, but he's not very optimistic due to it's size.

Afro Cyster that's what I'm worried about as well but on the other hand I worry about needlessly removing an organ. Its all so darn confusing...lol

I had mine removed years ago after having a baby, I lost 50 lbs while I was breastfeeding in rapid fashion. I had some outside stress going on and was finding it hard to eat due to some depression. One side effect I haven't been thrilled with is loose stools or IBS...coffee and drinking any alcohol makes it worse. But I would imagine once I am having to do a high Protein diet that will get better. Also not eating as much will slow it down I am sure. When I started having the gall bladder attacks before I knew I had stones, I freaked out cause the pain is terrible. I would rather have more babies with no anesthetic then go thru that pain again....so get it taken out while u can!!!

My surgeon is recommending an elective gallbladder removal with my vsg because he says that 4 out of 5 patients will have to have it removed anyway within the following 10-15 years due to the rapid weight loss. Anyone elected to this and did what were the effects?

You could also research some natural gall bladder cleanse methods. You might be able to keep ahead of it? I never had the opportunity to try that. Mine went bad 10 years ago. :( Something to think about.

Thanks for the input gals. I've done more research and have decided to just have it out altogether to avoid the possibility of having it out later. I've always struggleds with Constipation (TMI!) anyway so hopefully the loose stools won't be a problem...lol

Mine is being removed. When they did the ultrasound they found a stone.

Are you self pay? If you're going through insurance, and have no documentation of anything beong wrong with it, make sure the removal is covered. Normally elective -ectomies (cholecystectomy in this case) are not covered.

Mine was removed about a year after I had my lapband put in. No side effects. It just took away some mild pain I would get in the middle of the night. My stools did not change, nor did my ability to digest fatty foods.

Are you self pay? If you're going through insurance, and have no documentation of anything beong wrong with it, make sure the removal is covered. Normally elective -ectomies (cholecystectomy in this case) are not covered.

Mine was removed about a year after I had my lapband put in. No side effects. It just took away some mild pain I would get in the middle of the night. My stools did not change, nor did my ability to digest fatty foods.

My insurance is paying for my surgery but that is a great point! I'd better do some double checking to make sure they'll cover the gallbladder as well as the hiatal hernia repair. Thanks for the heads up!