Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Progress Through The Food Phases?

Whew! First day back at work! Kinda pooped already LOL its been 11 days since surgery and I am down 20lbs. (24lbs. including pre-op). Its been really hard getting in all my Protein because nothing seems to sit right, and I have tried A LOT of different things.

What will really make me happy is when I can finally go to real food. I was started on full liquids in the hospital (yogurt, pudding, oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream based Soups (strained) and stuff like that). Thursday I should be able to start mushies, I am so excited! LOL What I am really curious about is when do mushies end..and solid foods start? I have a transition class in April. I am suppose to go to the March (once a month) but I unfortunately have to work.

Im just curious how each of you past the mushie phase has progressed. I have had a really fast and fortunate recovery because I have had absolutely no problems (Thank you baby Jesus). I have no hunger, I just want to be healthy.

Hello! Well first I am slightly jealous of you! I wasn't allowed full liquids until the 2 week mark! So I was stuck with broths and Protein drinks lol. For me every stage was basically every 2 weeks. First two weeks, liquids, second 2 weeks "mushies" (which was defined as anything I did not have to chew, so full liquids pretty much...), third 2 weeks was "soft foods" (salads, anything I could chew to a pulp) and then after that I was slowly adding in new foods that would be considered regular, like meat. I actually started with chicken but chicken is actually one of the hardest foods to digest because of its low fat content. I found slow-cooked pork to go down the easiest.

You should also realize that it is not "okay, today I can do full foods... go!"... you may not be ready. My doctor actually told me to wait longer before going to mushies because I couldn't get my Protein shakes down. At 11 days to be honest I wasn't worrying about the Protein, just focused on getting my liquids down. Around the 2 weeks mark it was suddenly sooo much easier to get my protein in. I am 6 months out and I still have to have a shake per day or else I wouldn't be able to hit my protein goals.

As for the actual transition I would do it very slowly by introducing one new thing at a time... and a very small amount... and very slowly! For me I have a few minute delay between being comfortable and "oh shoot that was a bit too much" (which is NOT a nice feeling!). And don't feel bad if you need to push it a day or two, sometimes you may not be ready. And I've also heard the opposite, people try early and it ends up okay but please be careful if you do that!

Good luck and congrats on being sleeved :)

Lol well I guess its true that every surgeon's plan is different. My mushie phase is kind of the soft food stage. I can have eggs and pureed food.< /p>

I think maybe I am being too arrogant because everything has gone so well so far. I heal very fast and I kinda feel normal already. I need to get that together, but heres to hoping everything stays as good as it has been.

I progressed quicker thru the food stages than most. I was eating soft foods at 3 weeks, I am eating normal foods now and I am 5 1/2 weeks out. I am only eating about 1/2 cup at a time maybe a bite or two more but that is it. Your body will tell you when you need more, at least mine did. I havent had any issues but be carefull when you do try and chew, chew ,chew!

I'm 5days out and I'm healing well too. I'm actually concerned that I can eat too much. I had a cup of cream Soup with no issues. I've also tolerated a 6oz yogart with no issues. I'm actually starting to get hungry. I've had no issues getting in my protien because I sip on 2 Isopure drinks a day. My friend said not to worry it will change when I get to more solid foods that these are sliders and easier to tolerate. I'm just worried at this rate I'll never loose

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one so close from surgery eating too much! I'm only 6 days out and tonight I ate a cup of cream Soup too! I wasn't even full! Funny how our diet progressions are so different. I was on liquids 2 days, on day 3 I was able to do full liquids (cream Soups, protien shakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, yogurt) and on day 8 I can eat: cottage cheese, string cheese, babel cheese, deli meat turkey, soft cooked veggies, Water packed tuna, canned or deli chicken, any seafood/fish, and canned fruits with no skins! I don't even have to puree them. They just said to make sure to chew to baby food consistency.

Even though my doc approves of the above foods at 8 days out I don't think I'll be ready for them. I'm sticking with softer foods for a few more weeks! I might try eating the string cheese and the cottage cheese because I know I can chew those down to baby food consistency, but chicken and tuna!? No way! I still get a lot of gas and a few crampy sensations with my cream soup! LOL

Yeah I'm suppose to be on full liquids for two weeks but don't see that happening I move to purees after that fot another 2 weeks then soft foods so we will see luckily my bariatric coordinator at the hospital I was at has been awesome so I just email her my questions and she males me feel better. I'm just in shock at how well I'm doing 5days out I expected so much worse I know I should be happy its not but it just has me worrying about my success.