Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diarrea After Every Meal, Please Help!

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and can't seem to eat anything without having cramping and diarrea after. I am keeping a food log to see if it is certain foods, but it does not matter what I eat. Even my Protein Shakes make me sick. Has this happened to anyone else? I can't leave the house and am feeling very frustrated. Thanks!

Talk to your doctor. I haven't gone through this but it's definitely something they ask me every time I go for my post-op stuff or check ups. Are u maybe lactose intolerant? Try shakes w/out lactose, or maybe the temperature of your food? For me hot stuff gives me a little bit of diarrhea. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

I agree with the previous post... I didn't figure out I was lactose intolerant until I was three months out. Once I stopped with all the milk based products I haven't had a problem.

Good luck!

Amanda

I'm 4 days post op and have been having the same issue. I'm not drinking any dairy. Any other thoughts?

Hi! I am 6 days post op and my diarrhea has just stopped. Initially it sounded like there was an alien in my stomach and bowels trying to escape! I haven't stopped diary and didn't add anything new to my diet so maybe the alien finally escaped. Definately call your doctor though I have heard some docs will let u have Imodium. If not be patient and keep up on your fluids and hopefully things will get better for u.

This happened with me also. My fix was to start taking a Gummy Fiber supplement each morning. Apparently I wasn't getting enough fiber in the diet. Also, make sure you're following the rule of no drinking 30 mins before eating and then 1 hr after eating. If you drink too soon it just flushes the food down the system before it can be digested....

Today's my Post-Op Day #9... I had to be re-hospitalized on Post Op Days 5 & 6 because I had diarrhea for four days & got severely dehydrated. When they got me to the ER, I literally downed a 1,000 cc bag of IV Fluid in one hour! I had dropped 5lbs in 2 days because of the diarrhea & fluid loss. Not a good situation! I'm still having a little diarrhea, but am doing my best to keep taking in the fluids every hour. I'm still on the total Clear Liquids, so it has nothing to do with any Protein Drinks or food transitions since I haven't had the chance to start that phase yet. I'm hoping this will run its course & stop. I was 220lbs on surgery date, 218lbs Post-Op Day #2, then 212lbs Post-Op Day #4. I've posted an update video on YouTube about my post-op experience if you'd like to see it, just search under "5ohGirl". I hope we all start feeling better soon!!!

Do you have a gall bladder? When the GB is going bad, one can get the runs shortly after every meal. It is the same after the offending organ is removed. The liver calls for bile and doesn't get it, so it doesn't know what to do with the food being processed, so it just dumps it on through your system in the form of diarrhea.

Just a thought from personal experience. May not be that at all. I've also noticed that too fatty of foods will do that to me right now.

wanted to say that many people think they are lactose intolerant when they arent. they are in fact intolerant to SUCROLOSE. or otherwise known as SPlenda. abotu 99% of things out there for bariactric patients have it in there and it causes me severe diarrhea and gas. I am also in fact lactose intolerant, so it is very hard for me to find products that i can consume. Try not eating sucrolose and see if it helps.

I too have to avoid Splenda and lactose. I finally found a Protein shake I like and it contains milk, so I spread it out over the day and it doesn't make me sick. Getting sleeved was like hitting the "Reset" button on my whole system...if I were you, I would call my Dr. And let him/her help find relief!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

wanted to say that many people think they are lactose intolerant when they arent. they are in fact intolerant to SUCROLOSE. or otherwise known as SPlenda. abotu 99% of things out there for bariactric patients have it in there and it causes me severe diarrhea and gas. I am also in fact lactose intolerant, so it is very hard for me to find products that i can consume. Try not eating sucrolose and see if it helps.

Hmm ! That's interesting!

Hi! I am 6 days post op and my diarrhea has just stopped. Initially it sounded like there was an alien in my stomach and bowels trying to escape! I haven't stopped diary and didn't add anything new to my diet so maybe the alien finally escaped. Definately call your doctor though I have heard some docs will let u have Imodium. If not be patient and keep up on your fluids and hopefully things will get better for u.

Hi,

7 days post-op. originally was difficult to go to toilet. Fybogel was good for me Pre-op but how can one take it post op. was then given Lactulose by my chemist which worked very well after two doses. The first time it shot (sorry) out but then, subsequently, small stools. Now it is runny for last couple of days but takes a few minutes before I go. I can only put it down to my new stomach is trying to settle but would rather a bit of solid food :-)

Anything I do lately makes me diarrhea and have severe stomach cramps. Had surgery on the 16th. Was doing great then went back and after doing a barium thing for a ct I literally crapped myself in the hospital yesterday. Wth

Yes, this happened to me during my Protein Shake stage. It cleared up once I started eating real food.< /p>