Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Banded-Some hints

Hi,

Got banded on Friday morning. :clap2:

Here are some hints based on my experience. Remember your milage may vary-this is just my stuff:

-Try and get your surgery scheduled first thing in the am. Mine was at 7:30 am and I had to be there by 6:30 am. No waiting-just kissed the DH goodbye, got undressed and was in there! No extra anxiety

-If your surgeon says he is putting the port on your sternum between your breasts (and you are a woman) ask if you can draw you usual bra line on yourself to remind him not to put it where your underwire will be. Yes, you'll change as you lose weight but I firmly believe its a quality of life issue. I also wrote "latex allergy" along with "bra line" above the line.

-I didn't have to do a liquid diet before the surgery at all, I was just supposed to lose 10% of my weight. I almost made it. :rolleyes But I did mostly liquids the week before because I wanted to make sure I was empty.

-I didn't have to do an enema or take laxatives the night before like some people do before this or any other surgery but I did anyway. It really helped with the gas. I have no gas pains at all. I just burp, hiccup or fart occasionally. I am taking the gas x strips just in case but no gas pain at all.

-I am still in pain but am only taking one percocet instead of 2 every 4 hours. It hurts to cough, to try and get up after lying down. I am still holding a pillow to my tummy.

-I suggest zero carb Isopure the clear liquid in the glass bottle from GNC. It was great, I sipped it all day of the surgery and yesterday. So got in 40 grams of Protein, some Calcium and postassium a day. It tastes fine just sweet-I had Alpine Punch and Orange Bananna.

I have to say the whole experience was fine. I was scared witless of the surgery and the anasthesia. I recall walking into the operating room and positioning myself on the table and that is it. I had told them I was claustrophobic and they said they would let me hold the mask myself because that helps claustrophobia but I don't remember the mask at all. I'm sure a lot (or most) of it has to do with the amnesia cocktail.

Yes, I am in pain but not unmanagable. My DH cuts the percocet in quarters since thats they way they gave it to me in recovery. I am knocked out and really tired. I am a little hungry. The inside of my mouth is a little swollen on one side must be where they put the tube thingy. And my hands are black and blue where the needles were. My incisions are doing fine, I don't have any more pain the port area than the others (yet).

-

I can't say enough nice things about the staff at NEMC. They were kind, respectful and patient.

Now I need to change my ticker!

Hi Diva,

From one Diva to another I thank you. I'm being banded in 10 days and any and all hints are SO appreciated. I would have never thought about the bra thing and will ask Dr. at pre-op appointment.

Congrats to you, too, Paulax for your amazing weight loss!

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Make sure you get plenty of rest and stay hydrated.