Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type One Insulin Depend Wanting The Sleeve

i am a insulin dependant type one diabetic who is on an insulin pump and i am going to have the gastric sleeve done here in the next few months. i am very concern about my blood sugars and what will happen if my blood sugars drop after the surgery, with no being to eat a lot and no sugar how do you handle the low blood sugars. Any information would be helpful this is one of my major concerns;

I am type 2. From what I have been told is that not long after your surgery, your diabetes will improve. Your sugar will drop to a normal level. Check with your doctor. He/she will know to monitor your progress closely

I am type 2. From what I have been told is that not long after your surgery, your diabetes will improve. Your sugar will drop to a normal level. Check with your doctor. He/she will know to monitor your progress closely

This surgery does nothing to improve type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetics don't produce insulin.

You can have sugar after the surgery. If you go low drink a few ounces of apple juice.

Thank you that is what I was thinking I just know that now when my sugars drop I want to eat everything in site to get them to come back up and I know after the surgery I will not be able to do this. This is ony of my biggest concerns with this surgery is what it they dropped.

Thank you that is what I was thinking I just know that now when my sugars drop I want to eat everything in site to get them to come back up and I know after the surgery I will not be able to do this. This is ony of my biggest concerns with this surgery is what it they dropped.

I would talk to your Dr about cutting back on dosages until you see how your body responds. It would be better to correct a hi than bring up a low when you may have trouble getting anything down. The mom in me is worried about you! I have 2 type 1 young adults of my own!

thank you so much my mom is worried about that as well. I am on a insulin pump now so I know that things will really have to be adjusted maybe someday I will get back down to where I only have to take one shot a day instead of having to wear a pump 24/7. I am going to talk to my dr on April 5 so I will deffently ask her about that. Did you have a sleeve surgery done. What was your experence.

thank you so much my mom is worried about that as well. I am on a insulin pump now so I know that things will really have to be adjusted maybe someday I will get back down to where I only have to take one shot a day instead of having to wear a pump 24/7. I am going to talk to my dr on April 5 so I will deffently ask her about that. Did you have a sleeve surgery done. What was your experence.

I was sleeved almost 2 weeks ago on 3/9. I had a great experience and feel great. I went back to work on Monday, am walking everyday, have never felt sick or in pain. I'm mostly still on full liquids but can't wait to move up to mushie stuff:) I'm sure you will do great with a little extra planning and care:)

I was sleeved in December 2011. So far I've lost 50 lbs and am stuck. I've been a type 1 for 20 years and am on a pump. My A1c is getting better and my insulin requirements have gotten much less, but still I'm frustrated. Lows weren't relaly a problem, I just never bolused for the first 6 months. Rather be high and alive then low and puking.