Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need Help!!Unfill or not to Unfill

hey guys I just got a little fill July 26 it's been a week and a half. So i did my diet after fill but actually I'm stuck on liquids. Well I'm stuck on trying to drink my liquids. I try to drink a slim fast it goes down fine, but then I'm burping and hicups for 3 hours. So I went back to just Clear Liquids just to see if I was swollen or something. The same thing just chicken broth. I havent' been able to sleep. Because when I lay down everything keeps coming back up, it doesn't matter what it is clear liquid or ful liquid. So I havent had nothing to eat in a week and 3 days. Also I haven't lost no weight because i'm not drinking my Water Because when i think I'm ready to drink some water, everything sits there. And I'm head to the bathroom. So do you think I should call my doctor and get a unfill, or is it too early to tell. I been doing great so far. But I'm starving, cranky, and clueless to what I'm supposed to do. Thanks for your responses.

Mel

I was just about to post saying that I think I was overfilled & what should I do about it...then I saw your post! I got filled 6 days ago & can only get down liquids. I sometimes can get down yogurt but yesterday I tried to eat a little cottage cheese, chewing very good, but it got stuck. I am not loosing any weight either...not really sure why. I know I have been under 500 calories for 6 days. Any advice on if we should get unfilled or not would be great! How long does it take for everything to get back to normal so I can see my true restriction. Thanks all!!!

Me Three! I am very tight in the am and then loose at night.... until today. I have not been able to keep anything but liquids down.

I think everyone is going to say we need an unfill. Or we could just live with it. But I don't know if being overfilled can cause long term issues.

Sucks not being able to eat anything...

Yup, if I were any of you I would be getting an unfill ASAP. Better to have them back it off a little bit than risk a slippage because you're throwing up. Even a small unfill can provide immediate relief. Good luck everyone!

Why are waiting to get unfilled? Please explain what the worry is in being filled less?

I see these posts all too often lately it seems, and it concerns me. I worry that too much dependence is being put on the band, not enough on the behavioral and "head" changes and the two must work together or there are going to be problems, for sure.

Please use this question as an invitation for self-exploration. Why would you hesitate to ask for a slight unfill, so you can eat regular food in smaller quantities?

All three of you: RUN, don't walk, to your doctors and get an unfill. You don't have to get a complete unfill, just enough so you can eat solid Protein like chicken and fish.

Being too tight is miserable and it won't help you in the long run, but it might hurt you. You don't want to develop esophagitis or burn your esophagus with stomach acid from reflux. Additionally, most doctors seem to agree that being too tight can cause erosion. You really don't want that.

Get an unfill and work on learning what your band is trying to teach you. Don't make your band do all the work, it wasn't meant to be used that way.

Best wishes to all of you, let us know how you're doing.

(LOL Mousecrazy! I was typing this when you posted your message.)

For me an unfill is painful because of the money issue. Sweet hubby has been very supportive, but man are we broke (buying/selling house/band). I know that it is not the ideal situation, but if I can adjust like Jack suggested, then that would be the way to go until my next appointment (after next paycheck on the 28th.) I think I am just swollen from being an idiot (ate solids too soon after fill) so I am trying to see if my swelling will go down on liquids for a few days. If I am still having issues on Monday, I will try to get in for an unfill before I go back to work on the 18th.

As for the others, I don't know why they do not want an unfill.

Hi, I am new to the forum. I had a problem with being too full for 6 weeks and I vomited for all but 1 week. You must go back and have some Fluid removed. I got where I couldn't eat or drink and was ill all of the time. My doctor took out 1 cc and I feel better. He will start refilling in 2 weeks. I got where I stopped loosing. The doctor said my body had shut down. I still haven't got it working too well yet, but soon the weight will start dropping again.

Day before yesterday I went & got my unfil. The Dr. took out .2 cc & boy do I ever feel better! I still am tight but its a good tight! Hopefully the weight will start melting off! Good luck to everyone!!!

This thread is really helpful for us newbies. I still have 4 weeks until my 1st fill but it is great to know what to look for. My dr said when he does the 1st fill he fills it up all the way and then gives me Water to drink and he unfills until I can feel the Water go down. He said the amount is different for everyone. Is this how ya'll did it? Do you mind telling me how full you were and how much was added? I am really curious if this was your first fill or what. I too sympathize with the money issue as I am a POOR college student and only my first fill is included in the surgery cost. My nurse suggested after I finish the first fill to sit in the waiting room for 30 min to an hour drinking liquids and make sure I feel OK before I leave. I guess if I hadn't left yet they wouldn't charge me for an unfill! Anyway - any details on fill levels, size of your band, and how many fills you had would be great. I am trying to be an "educated consumer!"

Thanks!

Marie: If you look at most peoples signatures they have their fill dates and levels. For me my second fill went up to 1.6, then he took it down .4 ccs after I threw up in his office.

I highly recommend the 30 minute wait. You will know within the first few sips if you are too tight.

As for me today has been better. I can eat solids as long as I take small bites. Think I will be ok... but not planning on another fill for a while. :(

Good luck.

This sure seems to be the Question of the Week! Everyone who is feeling this much restriction, please Please PLEASE get an unfill. You could cause damage to your esophagus, you could cause your band to slip, and you certainly won't be losing weight as well as you could. I recently wrote a lengthy post to Hopes Place in response to her question about being overfilled. I am going to put the link to that thread on here so you can all go have a peek. Please read my post, I think it's on page two of that thread. And get unfilled. This is NOT how your band was meant to be used.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21952