Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forbidden Medications Post-Sleeve

This may sound inflammatory but I believe some surgeons get lazy and tell all their patients that NSAIDS are not okay when in reality sleeve patients may take them once healed. It's Bypass patients who cannot.

Maybe just trying to cover their own @$$3$ in case later on it is proven to be detrimental to sleeve patients also...

Maybe just trying to cover their own @$$3$ in case later on it is proven to be detrimental to sleeve patients also...

Possibly. This topic interested me so I've been doing a little online searching. It appears that NSAIDS are a problem for bypass patients in that the exacerbate the issue of marginal ulcers where the pouch connects to the intestines. NSAIDs can also cause erosion in band patients. A sleeve patient has no rerouting or band to cause concern for either the marginal ulcers or erosion.

Simply googling "NSAIDs and sleeve Gastrectomy" pulled up a wealth of topics and sites all stating sleeve patients can take NSAIDs once healed. There are also some old threads from this forum that popped up with Tiffykins giving her usual, thorough thoughts.

Everyone should do what they feel is best for his/her body, but I believe the evidence suggests that NSAIDs are not any more detrimental to a sleeve patient than a person with a fully formed stomach.

Thanks Amanda for going the extra mile! And everyone else for a great thread....as I've said, I have sneaked an Excedrin in here and there over the last few months; the only thing I have found to get rid of a head ache; only one, when I used to take two. I think like anything; if you don't abuse it, and you are healed, it would be OK. I'm going to see a ND (naturopathic doctor) that I have seen before now that I am back in Hawaii and ask her. She's really fantastic and I know she will be just blown away at how different I am. I tried working with her to lose weight and although she got all my blood work in good order, alas, as we all know, the weight was a whole other story. Still, I trust her opinion and she always spends an hour with me; I think she'll have some good info here too. I love this forum....and I love my sleeve! I'll write about it on my blog in the next couple of weeks after I see her.

www.queenofcrop.com

Blogging a Year in LIfe of a Sleever each Sunday

My doctor does mostly gastric bypass so all the literature and instructions are geared to them. I got him to clarify. Steroids and NSAIDs can be taken, but they would like to give additional medications to protect the sleeve while doing so and to monitor.

I see nothing wrong with this I think from now on out our PCPs have to be in sync with out surgeons on all things. Whenever I get blood work done I have it sent to both offices.

I am worried at ONLY having Tylenol available for pain in my (hopefully) 70s, 80s, 90s...

When you get old, the docs will give you much better drugs that your stomach can tolerate. ;) My surgeon also said no no no nsaids, aspirin or steroids. I think my book says that if it's absolutely necessary on a RARE occasion, it won't kill you or anything. (in so many words...)

I was told not to use them as my primary pain reliever...

I was also told no NSAIDS... I take Tylenol #3 for my knee & back pain. Since my surgery I am taking those less & less.

NSAIDS are absolutely fine with a sleeve. Many surgeons are still stuck on the recommendations for RNY (which you definitely should not take NSAID). However, our sleeve can handle small amts of these drugs with no problem.

It is recommended if you have to take it regularly that you are also on a PPI to help protect the stomach.

What is scary is that surgeons STILL don't know the difference in after care for their own surgeries.

NSAIDS are absolutely fine with a sleeve. Many surgeons are still stuck on the recommendations for RNY (which you definitely should not take NSAID). However, our sleeve can handle small amts of these drugs with no problem.

It is recommended if you have to take it regularly that you are also on a PPI to help protect the stomach.

What is scary is that surgeons STILL don't know the difference in after care for their own surgeries.

I think this may be true enough for those who've always had an Iron stomach and no real reflux issues. The "however" to that is those with moderate to severe reflux pre surgery with years of erosion from the acid may be wise to use the avoidance advice and be very sparing when considering nsaids. (Ibuprofen used to TEAR up my stomach!!) At the very least for the first six months when it's important to keep the acid levels low. That said....if I have a good enough inflammation, i'm sure the Advil will not be out of the question. I'm just saying I can see the rationale behind it, based on personal experience.

yes, it's not a good idea for anyone to take those types of medications regularly, no matter what size their stomach is. There is a huge difference between taking it every day every few hours, to taking it every once in awhile.

I have arthritis but I take Celebrex which is not supposed to be bad for the stomach. Dr. Aceves knew I was on it and told me I didn't have to stop it.

Celebrex in Mexico is way les expensive than in the states....I get mine in Algadones I think was $23 for 100 tablets...It is truly the best

***PLEASE NOTE*** Anyone reading this, please always consult your personal Surgeon before taking advice from anyone on this forum...

That said...

I asked this SPECIFIC question to Dr. Cirangle whom is one of the greatest sleeve surgeons out there right now, IMO. He replied and said, absolutely YES we CAN take NSAIDS once our Sleeves are fully healed, because we still have a completely functioning stomach. It is important to take them with food or milk to help coat our stomach however.

BUT, it is NOT recommended for Lap Band or Gastric Bypass patients because of the tiny pouch they are left with.

I completely trust him with his advice, again, he's one of the best in the World today.

All that said, I completely 100% agree that one should use them with caution. But, that should be true for anyone, normal stomach or not. I certainly do not use them every day, but I have used them, and made sure I took them responsibly.

Good luck with your research!