Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forbidden Medications Post-Sleeve

Hey all~

Are there any medications that I will be UNABLE to take after this surgery? Ibuprofen? Asprin?

Thanks!

We can't take aspirin, NSAIDS (motrin, aleve, ibuprofen, naproxin). The reason being is that these meds can cause ulcers in our stomachs. It's kinda scary for me because I have a heal spur and with out my indocin, it's inflamed and painful at times. Oh well, I have to pray it will go away soon. ;)

I got a steroid shot for my heel spur. Helps almost a hundred percent! Worth it for a shot in the bootie

for no reason....have you tried rubbing caster oil on your heal...I had the in both heals and my FNP had me do that after 6 months mune were gone!

That is not true. I have had several doctors tell me we have normally functioning stomachs and we can take NSAIDS and asprin. It's not a good idea to take these things regularly every day, but we can take them.

Wow, that's news that we can take aspirin......I have sneaked a few in here and there over the last 4 months when I have had a terrible headache and the Tylenol has done nothing. I was told we could never take aspirin (or my drub of choice...Excedrin) again....is there a doctor in the house to settle this one?

www.queenofcrop.com

I'll ask the surgeon again the next time he comes to my support group. He's not the one who did my surgery, becaue I could not afford to have it done here. He's an excellent surgeon at a center of excellence which is pretty unheard of for his small practice.

Excederin is literally the only thing that knocks out my headaches. I'm really hoping they aren't lost to me. I'm not sure what I would do!

I was told no aspirin or NSAIDs anymore by my surgeon and the providers who run my pre and post op groups. I'm not taking any unnecessary chances with an ulcer.

I am worried at ONLY having Tylenol available for pain in my (hopefully) 70s, 80s, 90s...

Wow, that's news that we can take aspirin......I have sneaked a few in here and there over the last 4 months when I have had a terrible headache and the Tylenol has done nothing. I was told we could never take aspirin (or my drub of choice...Excedrin) again....is there a doctor in the house to settle this one?

www.queenofcrop.com

www.queenofcrop.com

This is kind of scarey. The doc's are giving us all kinds of different info here. I want to error on the side of caution and not take NSAIDS or aspirin. Getting an ulcer isn't worth the risk. :)

fluffylibra: You got a steroid shot for a heal spur? Sounds promising, I will have to make an appt with my PCP tomorrow. Thanks ;)

I was told not to take Aleve, Ibuprofen, aspirin or NSAIDS for the first 2 months. Then sparingly after that. So I'm trying hard not to start back taking any of them. I do know that Tylenol doesn't do anything for me so far, other than that though what is our choice?

yep i sure did! My doc also told me something i didnt know, i will not be able to take arthritis meds due to the sleeve. Wish someone wouldve told me that before the surgery, my granny and mom both have it. and im going to have to suffer through with Tylenol? ugh. My Doc also said no NSAIDS. Not worth the risk. Hopefully when i lose all the weight i wont have as many aches and pains :-D

I was also told NSAIDS are fine once healed. It is my understanding that many choose the Sleeve over Bypass due to the ability to take NSAIDS once healed. I was even prescribed Mopic a few months after surgery to take daily for a foot injury. I called my surgeron's office and made sure it was okay. I also have a good friend with degenerative osteoarthritis at 35. My friend is a month away from getting sleeved and the ability to continue taking NSAIDS weighed heavily in their decision to move forward.

This may sound inflammatory but I believe some surgeons get lazy and tell all their patients that NSAIDS are not okay when in reality sleeve patients may take them once healed. It's Bypass patients who cannot.