Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could It Be Happening Too Fast?

I would first like to say I am not sure how I found this forum but I am soooo glad I did. My wls journey began about less than a month ago. I have been obese for about 8 years and was overweight for about 3 yrs prior making mg total time struggling with weight 11 yrs. I am only 28 have 4 young children and have developed a laundry list of health issues I have been in denial about for the last 2-3 yrs. I noticed a friend at work began looking slimmer and then about 3 weeks later looked absolutely stunning. Probably because of my amazement and then me worrying that she might have been stressing, she told me she had the sleeve. The what??? I had never heard of it. I looked it up she told me about the surgery and I knew this could change my life. I called the same surgeon, we have the same insurance so I knew it was covered. I had my first appt with fhe surgeon on 3/8/12 and did all my labs, chest xrays and ekg in that same day. My appointment with the nutritonist, nutrition class and barrium swallow are scheduled for tbis wednesday and thursday and I will be scheduling my psych eval in the morn. I anticipate and would like a surgery date of April 5, but I was just blowing smoke I thought this was a long process and that fhe earliest I would see surgery would be May and I wojld have postponed bc of my family vacation in May. I am by no means complaining as I read post where ppl started this journey last yr. I am just trying to wrap my head around the fact this is really happening and I just dedcided to have this done like 2 weeks ago. My husband is supportive although he chooses the old fashioned method, and my sister in law has considered wls for over a yr and they are tired of hearing me go on and on about my new found info so I am zo thankful for you guys. But I am at a cross roads and dont know what to expect once I complete these last few appointments. If my surgeons office offers an earlier.date shojld I take it? Or stick with my original plan and give myself a little more time to truly grasp what is happening? Only my closest co-workers know I am phrsuing this and out of the 4 of them only 1 has been extremely judgemental and even mean about it, but I understand his reasoning why so I overlook that venom! Ahhhhhhh idk. Excited and nervous, worried about church members questioning me. But before i started this I told the Lord, if this is a way he is allowing me to get healthy I would encounter no problems and I have asked him to direct my path. I am comfortable and confident in my decision i just dont want ppl hounding me like the plauge about how I am losing the weight. Thanks for listening.......

I could only wish It moved that fast for me. But I am patient. I think it is a good idea for you to see if you can postpone just a bit to grasp it. If you can. I was told that being obese could shorten my life expectancy by 10-15 years. That helped a lot with my decision to go forward. Let alone the way I look,feel,getting dressed,looking in the mirror,trying on clothes,putting my socks on. I could go on and on with my struggles. This surgery is the tool I need to get me healthy. Once you find that special reason or reasons for doing it they will be a good motivator when doubt creeps in. Yes it is going fast for you but I think you know what you are capable of or need to do deep inside. Dont worry what others think about THE NEW YOU. If they are not happy for you they are not worth worrying about. I know I cannot diet! And my Portion Control is outa control! You will have many new friends and experiences after you lose the weight. I wish you the best in any choice you make!

I would first like to say I am not sure how I found this forum but I am soooo glad I did. My wls journey began about less than a month ago. I have been obese for about 8 years and was overweight for about 3 yrs prior making mg total time struggling with weight 11 yrs. I am only 28 have 4 young children and have developed a laundry list of health issues I have been in denial about for the last 2-3 yrs. I noticed a friend at work began looking slimmer and then about 3 weeks later looked absolutely stunning. Probably because of my amazement and then me worrying that she might have been stressing, she told me she had the sleeve. The what??? I had never heard of it. I looked it up she told me about the surgery and I knew this could change my life. I called the same surgeon, we have the same insurance so I knew it was covered. I had my first appt with fhe surgeon on 3/8/12 and did all my labs, chest xrays and ekg in that same day. My appointment with the nutritonist, nutrition class and barrium swallow are scheduled for tbis wednesday and thursday and I will be scheduling my psych eval in the morn. I anticipate and would like a surgery date of April 5, but I was just blowing smoke I thought this was a long process and that fhe earliest I would see surgery would be May and I wojld have postponed bc of my family vacation in May. I am by no means complaining as I read post where ppl started this journey last yr. I am just trying to wrap my head around the fact this is really happening and I just dedcided to have this done like 2 weeks ago. My husband is supportive although he chooses the old fashioned method, and my sister in law has considered wls for over a yr and they are tired of hearing me go on and on about my new found info so I am zo thankful for you guys. But I am at a cross roads and dont know what to expect once I complete these last few appointments. If my surgeons office offers an earlier.date shojld I take it? Or stick with my original plan and give myself a little more time to truly grasp what is happening? Only my closest co-workers know I am phrsuing this and out of the 4 of them only 1 has been extremely judgemental and even mean about it, but I understand his reasoning why so I overlook that venom! Ahhhhhhh idk. Excited and nervous, worried about church members questioning me. But before i started this I told the Lord, if this is a way he is allowing me to get healthy I would encounter no problems and I have asked him to direct my path. I am comfortable and confident in my decision i just dont want ppl hounding me like the plauge about how I am losing the weight. Thanks for listening.......

I have struggled with my weight for over 20 years, yoyoing away. I heard about this surgery in April of 2011 at a seminar. I found out my insurance didnt cover it so I tried to put it out of my mind and keep trying on my own. Then, in July, my husband got a new job with new insurance. I started looking to see if they covered it. They did and I scheduled to attend a seminar with a different surgeon the next day (a saturday). They talked about all the different wls options and I knew then and there the sleeve was definately for me. I found out there that Humana, my new insurance, doesnt cover the sleeve unless your bmi is over 50. I was devastated until a nice guy who was there starting talking to my hubby. He said listen, forget the insurance, just self pay. they have financing with no interest for 18 months. Thats what I did. We talked about it and decided we could do it. I scheduled an appointment with the surgeon there for Monday, two days later. I went to see him and we talked for an hour. He said I was a perfect candidate and he thought I was ready. I had to have a psych eval but everything else was a go. I already see a therapist and she wrote a letter for me that week. My surgery was scheduled for the following MOnday!!! I had seven days until my date and so my preop liquid diet started that day. There was no time to think about it. From Seminar to surgery was 9 days. I had my EKG and bloodwork done during that 7 days and I reported for surgery at 6am Monday, aug 8, 2011. That was seven months and 73 pounds ago. I had 100 pounds to lose. I was 234 and I am 5'4". I was wearing a size 18-20, mostly 20's and 1x tops. I am now wearing mostly 10's some 12's and medium tops. I dont regret it at all. I am glad it went fast so I didnt have time to dwell on it. I had no complications with the surgery, recovery went smooth. I did have a kidney stone a few weeks later but it wasnt related to the sleeve. I have a long family history of them and I was a little dehydrated after the surgery so it happened.

I am just telling you that I think I am the fastest person to ever get sleeved from seminar to surgery. Its the best decision I ever made. I was emotional the night before with the usual anxiety but I knew I needed to do this for me. I knew I would love being able to eat my favorite things and this time be able to control how much of those things I ate. Now, I just eat a few bites and I am so full and satisfied. You will love your sleeve and you will be happy you didnt have to wait forever to get it. Embrace your good luck! You will do great!

I am right there with you... I just had my appt on 3/9 and am scheduled on the 4th. My head is spinning and I have spent the last 2 days scouring the internet about complications, side effects, and and before and after photos. I know that this is the right choice. I keep reading about the hair loss, the excess skin...etc.

Bottom line, this is where I am and I need to move forward for myself and my kids. I haven't told anyone and don't know if I am right now. I have 3 people that I know that have just had the surgery (1 who is still keeping it a secret).