Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Away Of My Doctor

ihad my surgery in another country so im away of my doctor i have many questions and i hope you will help me

im now 5 weeks post operative

idont know what types of food could i eat could i ear grilled fish chicken salad banana chipsy or i have to wait on fluids till i reach 2 month post operative?

also i have stomach gases and it make me feel bad how can i get rid of it?

also when i drink my stomch make a sounds like adrum ihate this its so embursing?

how much kilos per week to loose?

do i have to exercise? which type

icant take oral Vitamins what ihave to do?

Welcome sallynew

I've heard so many wonderful things about having surgery in Mexico, or i think there are other countries, areas too, and i "think" one of the primary reasons people initially go out of the country is for the lower cost when they don't have insurance. I also hear about the extra wonderful care that is given in the hospital to patients how you are treated, maybe even better than in some U.S. hospitals - not to mention the wonderful doctors.

but.... i always wondered about questions a patient might need to ask a NUT or dr. in general once you have left the country. Maybe there is a contact # for help, i just am curious, hopefully then people like sallynew can get some info/help. yes - i was lucky that insurance covered my sleeve so i opted to have surgery in NY state.

please don't "hop" on me if you think i'm putting surgery done in mexico down, ok -cuz i'm really not. Have i been diplomatic enough? :huh: :rolleyes:

thanx

best wishes

kathy

I did my surgery in Mexico so I spent a LOT of time researching answers to questions that came up along the way. You can (and should) also visit a local doctor after the surgery for follow-up care and blood work.

I'll do my best to answer what I can:

ihad my surgery in another country so im away of my doctor i have many questions and i hope you will help me

im now 5 weeks post operative

idont know what types of food could i eat could i ear grilled fish chicken salad banana chipsy or i have to wait on fluids till i reach 2 month post operative? At 5 weeks, I believe most people are introducing solids to their diet. Start with soft food. I began with eating things like tuna salad, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese... then moved up to chicken breast in small amounts and well chewed.

also i have stomach gases and it make me feel bad how can i get rid of it? I think you should be taking an antacid like Prevacid. I took one in the morning and another at night.

also when i drink my stomch make a sounds like adrum ihate this its so embursing? I never had this experience until after the surgery. It is a bit embarrassing but I've read that it gets a little better with time.

how much kilos per week to loose? This is different for everyone depending on how much you weigh to begin with, exercise, how strict you follow your diet, etc. Don't compare yourself to others. This is YOUR journey. :)

do i have to exercise? which type YES, exercise. It will help you to maintain muscle mass as you lose, give you extra energy, keep your metabolism up, so many benefits. I began with walking. And that's still my primary form of exercise. Do what you LOVE so that you will want to stay with it.

icant take oral Vitamins what ihave to do? Have you tried the chewable vitamins (like Gummy Vites)? If you can't take those, then you can get a Vitamin powder to put in your Water. I take both chewables and also add flavored Vitamin powder to my Water. I like the taste better than regular water.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other helpful advice. This forum is great for that. Best of luck to you!

thanx cathy ihave some problems wiz my famiy so i travelled away but could you answer my questions?

no bud, i wish i could answer your questions properly - but all doctors have different responses - thus bringing me to the answer to my question about help from your dr. in Mexico. how's that for a no answer,answer? lol

Ok - i'll try and help alittle. At 5 weeks where you are i was told to drink Protein shakes. Protein throughout this whole journey is of the utmost importance. I was lucky and didn't mind the taste of the shakes. Many people can't drink the shake because of the smell, taste or whatever -like i said i had no problem.

The other thing to do is drink plenty of Water, Water, and some more water. At the early stages post op you might not be successful at drinking that much water, drink very slowly, remember your stomach just had major surgery.

but at some point you are officially supposed to drink 64 oz. You don't want to get dehydrated- so please drink enough water, you can also have sugar free popsicles, they are good too., and broth. At this early stage, drinking plenty of water is even more important than protein.

I never had heartburn, but the dr. sent me home w./Prilosec which i continue to take. I've been told that al lot of walking will help the gas decrease and stop.

I will be honest and say i was never a person to excercise, but i know many many on the board do walk even for simple excercise. But others after a certain amount of time/per there dr. are allowed to gradually get back into excercise.

i'm definitely not sure of next - most have a mushy phase where they put food in a blender. i didn't have to do that per my NUT (nutritionalist) (msp)/doctor.

Next is soft foods like cottage cheese, yougurt- others i can't think of.

Next is the regular food that you start out with 1 oz., then after a couple of weeks, 2 oz. now 3 oz. - thats it for me now per my NUT, but all dr.s are different, remember. You get one of those small medicine measuring cups and the food volume is supposed to fit in one cup etc.

i'm going on and on and others reading this might have said get to the point alreadyLOLOL - or they have just fallen asleep.

Other people will jump on the bandwagon with more thorough info

ask questiosn on the board anything you are not sure of/remember we're here to help but we're not doctors lolol

best wishes

kathy

WLS 12/15/11

thanx cathy ihave some problems wiz my famiy so i travelled away but could you answer my questions?

lol i knew this was going to happen, by the time i finished my novel above, someone else would have answered your questions better that i did. oh well - go figure!! i reread what i wrote earlier and i think i spoke to much about your early stage too. - i agree, we all lose weight at different speeds. no one correct answer to that.

best

still kathy

lol i knew this was going to happen, by the time i finished my novel above, someone else would have answered your questions better that i did. oh well - go figure!! i reread what i wrote earlier and i think i spoke to much about your early stage too. - i agree, we all lose weight at different speeds. no one correct answer to that.

best

still kathy

I think you did a great job of answering her questions! We filled in each other's gaps. :-)

quote from above lol

"and i hate my body"

"by the way pound equals how man kilos"

hi sallynew

1 kilo = 2.2 lbs i kept asking my dh so i finally wrote it down :)

BTW - i don't think any of us love our body right now until we start losing some weight - but come on sallynew et. al. lets not hate our body, we're doing stuff about our problem - so lets be proud about that and not say "hate" - we're on our way to loving it, and ourselves more (too corny?)

best

kathy

I am having surgery May 20, 2012 in Mexico and will be far away from my surgeon as well - I have already spoken to my Family Practice physician and he wants to see me 2 weeks post op to check my Vitamin levels and incisions. I also bought the book "WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY FOR DUMMIES" just like the replies to your post above said every surgeon is different in the book there are guidelines if your surgeon didn't specify what timeline to introduce what types of foods.

Thank you for answering her questions it gives me an idea of where I will be at that time of my journey.