Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Doctor Called and Made things right

My Dr called and apologized for her unprofessional staff and d/w me the failed manometry and going forward. I vented all my frustration on her and she took it and I guess my surgery is back on. I just wanted to know that I can trust my doctor and that she is responsive-am I asking to much?

I am scared but hopeful. Just reassure me that this is a simple procedure and nothing will go wrong..PLEASE

:heh:

Um.. its surgery, and while statistics show that there is a very low % of fatalities because of lapband surgery, there is always a chance that you could be part of that small percentage. There is also a chance that you will encounter complications after surgery. Infections, erosion, slipping.. all are part of the risks taken when we choose to get banded.

The question is.. have you done your research, seriously considered the risks involved, found a Dr that you have confidence in, made a decision that this surgery is for you based on all the facts, and found peace about it? If so, then you walk forward like the rest of us have and take your chances. The good news is, the chances of success are good.. as you can tell by the number of people here on LBT who are finding new lives because of their band.

However, if you answered no to any of those questions, then I'd say you aren't prepared yet. Check out this list of questions to present to your Dr. Knowledge is power and power is comforting. :)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15595

Best wishes!

I agree with PhotoNut. Although I'm glad that you're on good terms with your doctor again, you still seem a little unsure of things in general. It's OK to be nervous about surgery. It is a major deal. I wish you lots of luck and if you have a specific question about the procedure we'll do our best to share our experience.

I have studied this procedure for 2 years. I think what is throwing me is that the doctor I wanted left unexpectedly. My choices were to cancel or accept his replacement and keep my date. She is well qualified but she is less "hands on" that what I expected. I never thought I needed alot of hand holding but when "little things" keep popping up like my manometry nightmare (I couldn't stop retching) and anesthesia (We can't find your paperwork), and radiology (Them asking me "What is a marshmellow swallow?) I was feeling like the cart was driving the horse. The UIC complication rate is 1% (actually 0.8%) I just don;t want to be in that small percentage and so far they have not impressed me. I have talked to others and they all had no problem at UIC but I feel like it is a so impersonal and disorganized. I have heard your guys talk about the importance of follow up care. I have my doubts about this program but this is the only one my insurance will cover. I want this, I just wish they would take some time to do better customer service and instill confidence.

Thanks for listening

natashiki have you been in touch with VinesQueen on this board. She was recently diagnosed with a tumor on her pituitary. She also is banded and might give you some insight into your unique situation.

Myra

I can tell you that my surgery went very well. Of course I can't tell you how yours will go, but I was in and out in less than 45 minutes, the part that too the longest was waking up from the anesthesia, and then I was being wheeled into my room to meet up with my boyfriend (now fiance). I was up walking around the next day and had an uneventful healing after that. I was not given pain killers, I was given a muscle relaxer to help with the port pain, which actually seems to be caused by the muscles spasming around the new object that was thrown in there (Which I guess, because they worked REALLY well, and did NOT make me loopy either).

I'm sure you'll be fine, BUT if you do not have full faith in your doctor, you should consider putting off your surgery. Our guts tell us stuff for a reason.

*hugs*

Thanks for the support. My guts has been feeling very "shaky" to this point. I have been trying to sort out whether is it preop jitters or real concerns over my surgeon. She did reach out to me and I am grateful. Everyone who knows me knows I have "a little black cloud". I try hard to not let my attitude perpetuate it. I want this so bad. I want my new life to start. I just wich there could be a little more empathy in the world and a little more kindness...

Hi Natashiki,

I will be banded next week also at UIC, by Dr. Ayloo (Horgan left). I am guessing you had yours done? My appointment with the anthesialogist (sp?) and the esphogeal mano.. will be done on the 7th. My barrium swallow is tomorrow. I have started my pre-op diet. Can you give me any updates? I am nervous but encourage by all I have read in this forum. Do you care sharing? Since it seems we will share the same hospital as well as the surgeon.

Thanks

The procedure went smoothly. Dr Ayloo is conservative and a great surgeon so you should sail through with minimal pain. You should not be too restricted. She gave me a "large" band so I have had no Restriction at all, I go for my first fill Sept 12th and get my band "activated" so to speak. Mary anne is the best. I did have a reaction to the bacitracin after surgery, that was the worst- so itchy. The recovery was otherwise smooth, I took off 5 days, and then back to work with no problem.

Feel free to ask me anything...

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me. I just came back from having the barium swallow done. Not as bad as I thought. Though, since I am on my liquid diet, so I can't get rid of the taste. I agree Maryann, is so helpful, willing and just excellent in her work. It just makes things so easier for us patients. I don't know about the size of the bands. Were you told before the surgery the sizes, or their function? I will be asking you maybe tons of questions, that is if you don't mind. I am so happy I came across this site, it is helping me in so many ways.

She told my husband after the surgery. I think she decides when she is in there. I like that I have a large band. I have no restriction now but they can adjust that. With a small band you are always restricted unless they remove it.

So far so good. I had the espogeal done yesterday, it it seems that I'm good to go for this WEdnesday the 13th. Scared?...Just because it will be unknown territory.

Natashiki, How are you feeling? How restrited is your diet? Did Dr. Ayloo tell you how much you had to loose, prior to the surgery? Sorry for all the questions, just a bit nervous.

Take care all.