Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im 3 days post op and scared of forming a leak or stricture or other complication. Would i know if i had a leak or stricture? I have weird little sharp pains every once in a while and have a headache :-( i am constantly worried.

Do you have a fever? Do you have trouble swallowing? Do liquids go down and stay down? I would not worry about headache and weird little pains, I'd worry if you had a fever of unknown origin and couldn't keep anything down.

The chances of complications are very small; the odds are in your favor that you will heal uneventfully. I know it doesn't really help to say "Don't worry" if you are naturally a worrier, but really, try and not to think about complications. Think about buying new clothes and doing all the things you want to do when your excess weight is gone!

I have been getting hiccups alot and chills and im cold all the time. Im scared :-(

Thank u for your reply! No fever, its been 98.1 and no problems keeping liquids down. I just feel feverish but im not running fever

Jwelk, I'm 3 days out as well and I find myself worrying a lot too. I can't give much advice but to remember that your body has just been through MAJOR trauma. Follow the rules your surgeon gave like monitoring your fever (above 101 is what I was told before I go to the ER) sip constantly and slowly and get in as much fluids and Protein as you can.

Like Foxbins said, if it goes down and stays down, you're good!

I'm 3 days out too, and I've read a lot of people on these forums that say that they are naturally cooler than before...something about the gherlin. Anyway, keep taking an actual temperature and try to relax. Have you taken an acid reducer? Today, I took the advice of others here and bought Gas-X strips. They seem to help neutralize the gas. Makes me a little more comfortable. Don't know if that might help you too. I'm a worrier too, but too much unnecessary worry isn't going to help you heal.

Hiccups are usually a sign of taking in too much too fast. You may be drinking too much at one time? Do not use straws, they cause you to take in extra air. The headache may be some dehydration if you are not getting in enough fluids (aim for 64oz every day, including your shakes). You will know if you develop a leak or stricture, I've heard it's very painful and very obvious. I remember on day 3 how every little sound and gurgle that came from my belly scared the pahooey out of me. You did just have major surgery and your body is still reacting, plus you still have pain meds and anesthesia coming out of your system. Those can also cause headache, chills. For the first few weeks I was freezing all the time, but now I'm coming up on week 6 and feel extremely normal. Try to relax as much as you can, focus on your diet and moving around as much as possible without hurting yourself, and rest when you are tired. It does get better, and you will know if you truly need more help!

I'm 3 days post op too. My stomach is making loads of little gurgling noises but I figure it's just the liquids trying to get down. I get the sharp pains too. I think they are either gas or cramping. My doc gave me an anti cramping medicine which by the way is the only med I've taken since I've been home.

By about my 3rd to 4th day out, I was feeling much colder than usual. Even my hands were freezing and I rarely have cold hands. I just piled on some blankets and carried on. My husband wondered if it might have been from my metabolism being slower due to not taking in many calories. After a couple of days, my body heat came back.

i am on day 5. temperature the same, felt cold but now its more hot than cold at times.. a little dizzy when i wake up, so i drink my Vitamin shake n then 30 mins out sip my isopure.. or crystal light, Water doesnt sit good on my pouch dont know y.. eat slowly or i would fell sharp pain as it goes down.. n sit up straight when i eat, if not my stomach starts cramping.. but so far so good.. have not weight my self since "Tom" came the day of the surgery, left n came back.. so i'll probably start my ticker next week.. sip sip slowly n walk, walk walk...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches