Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Lopez. He charges $50 for a fill plus $100 for the x-ray. I can get a round-trip ticket to San Diego for under $100. Then I'd pay a taxi around $20 bucks to drop me off at the border, where Dr. Lopez's staff would pick me up then return me after the fill. Total cost under $300.

OR: A local doctor charges $150 for an initial consult. Then he charges $300 for a fill, plus you have to pay the hospital's expenses for the x-ray/upper GI, which would be around $500. So $950 for a local fill vs. $300 in Mexico.

Guest Cuddlyernie

My dr. is a little over 3 hours away by car. He charges $90 to do a fill with the floroscope. But given gas prices right now, it will cost me about $150 to get the fill and gas for the car.

I live in the biggest city in Kansas, but the only WLS dr.'s here are doing is gastric bypass. Hopefully soon someone at one of the 4 major hospitals will get a clue and I won't have to drive 3 hours for a fill!

ERyn

luckily my dr is only 30 min away and he charges $200 but my first one was free. I had it last Monday so far not much of a change. Ginny

299/275/130

4/19/04

I have checked around my state ( Oregon) too and all the places are about 2 hours away. They really range in price: One place is $600 the first time due to a required consultation but then it's $250 for future fills with flouroscopy, Another place is $350 flat but no flouroscopy, Another place is $350 with flouroscopy and lastly another place is $150 but no flouroscopy. I was hoping to have them done with the flouro but I am not sure now. I would like it done at least occassionally to make sure everything is still in place and functioning. For those veterans with the fills can you tell us newbies which method you have done and what has worked best? Thanks, Teresa

Guest Cuddlyernie

DeLarla,

There's another Kansas dr. that a lot of the Mexico people go to who only charges $70! Maybe it's just the difference between the "coast" and midwest!

I would rather go to my guy since it's about the same distance and he's the one who did my surgery.

I'm curious to know whose insurance will cover fills. Ours just changed so I'm assuming they WON'T be covered!

ERyn

I wish the local guy was cheaper. I would never consider getting a fill without fluoroscopy until after my first fill. I want to make sure everything is okay with my band the first time.