Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Havent Been Able To Get/keep Anything Down For Days.

I was able to go to church on Sunday (3/4), but I started to feel sick while I was there and by the time we got home I was spitting up. Every time I swallowed ANYTHING it was like a bomb going off in my stomach. I was sick throughout the night and by the next day I could not swallow food at all and was barely getting any fluids in. I though I had the stomach virus (half of everyone we know has been sick with it the last few days.) That night I started having terrible chest, back, should and arm pain every time I tried to drink. This freaked me out, so I called my doc first thing Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, they did not return my call! Still sick on Wednesday, I called again and finally got to talk to the nurse. She told me to get down there NOW. They put me on the "banana bag" IV just as soon as I got there and the Dr. came from the hospital as soon as he could. After giving me the working over, he said it was not a leak, but acid erosion and added carafate to my meds. I had to stay all day. My veins are very weak, so I ended up with two blown and it took 8 hours for one bag. They told me to come back first thing Thursday. I was put back on the banana bag again. This time I got two bags. I swelled quickly. I couldn't get my anniversary ring off and my finger was turning. I thought they were going to have to come in and cut it off! After much effort I finally got it ripped off. They are still in my purse. The nurse was worried about me, so she talk and petted me much. During the course of our conversation, I further explained the pain I was having and also told her that I had fibromyalgia. We both kind of had a lightbulb moment at the same time. This is not only acid. She told me that the surgical injury could be causing nerve pain in my insides. I am off all of my meds since surgery, so because of this, they want me to resume one or two of them until I am healed. Fibromyalgia is a crazy, confusing condition! I was supposed to go back today, but my Daddy had a cardiac event last night and is in the hospital so the let me off. My nurse just said, "you have to promise me that unless you are talking or sleeping, your mouth will not be empty all weekend." i promised. My family has a little spring vacation to the mountains planned for next week, so I have to go back and see the doc on Monday and have another infusion. He doesn't want me to end up in the hospital up there. This is for sure a trying and confusing time. I told my husband, if anyone ever says to me, "you took the easy way out" or "I could lose weight that way," I am going to jack-slap them in the floor right there!

post-17450-13813658339047_thumb.jpg

My banana bag IV and blown veins.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

post-17450-13813658338343_thumb.jpg

Sorry for all of your problems but at least with them giving you the IV you are able to get your fluids and also the rest of the things that they put in the bananna bag. We used to give them all the time to people in the ER when they came in with dehydration etc. I am so sorry that you veins blow so easily as I know that this can be painful and IV's are not pleasant especially when they have to keep starting a new one.

Fibromyalgia is a nasty disease and I am sure that it can cause a lot of problems in addidion to your surgery. I hope that the medications that they are giving you will help you get through this and that you will be able to get your fluids in without having to go into the hospital. An hour at a time and try and take those small sips every few minutes in order to get those fluids as they are most important.

So sorry to hear about this. I do hope you get well fast. I, too, have to agree that I want to hit everyone that says I took the easy way. Or.. even when they ask "Do you regret the surgery." It is too late to regret anything, I just want to get through it. This is very tough on me and it sounds like your issues are very serious. I am glad you dont have a leak. You are in my thoughts and I hope you are going to recover quickly. Just remember to sip, sip, sip.