Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how surgery day went

I had my lap-band procedure done on Tuesday August 1st, which was less than two days ago. To make a long story short, the surgery went as planned in every way. Now recovery was a different story. Even though I told three different people within 30 minutes of surgery that I was allergic to Vicoden, what do you think they put into my IV directly after my surgery. VICODEN!!! I did not know about it till I woke up very sick late last night. My husband told me that I had a severe allergic reaction and it took just a minute for someone to realize what they had done. Apparently my face/neck swelled up and I had stopped breathing. I have no memory of this whatsoever. (I'm certainly glad about that). I ended up having to stay overnight so they could monitor me. I'm fine now, and thank god everything is ok. On a lighter note. I have EXTREME restriction. I can barely keep down two tablespoons of liquid. I was told it is probably swelling. Anyways, that's how it went. Thanks for listening.

Dang...should you have written "allergic to Vicodin" on your dadgum forehead?! I guess so! I'm so sorry about that! Glad you are okay now.

On a happy note, welcome to bandland! You did it!!!! Sip small, Becky. Go very easy on that swollen band area, and do your best to stay hydrated, I know it's hard! Congrats!

Vicoden is not given through the IV it is only po. It must have been Morphine, Demerol, or Dilaudid or something else. Maybe you are allergic to Morphine also. I will call and see what it was so you will know for the next time. In medicine you never know what you are allergic to until you take it

I was banded 9/30/03.....Yes you really need to stay Hydrated.....When I had my Lap-band done I had complication......they couldn't get me to breathe right and I was on a venterlator for two days afterwards and in the hospital 4 days..... Well to make a long story short I got dehytrated and came down with gout in my feet and I couldn't walk ....the pain was way more intense than any surgery pain....... when I went home I crawled from the car to the house.........The give me the wrong medicene for it first in the hospital for 24 hours they didn't know what it was. When my surgeon finally came back in to see me he diagnosed me and said I had gout .... Gout he said a common ailment after surgery. It takes 24 - 48 hours for the medicene to make the pain go away. Gout is worst pain I think a person can have.

Good Luck,

Alan

Vicoden is not given through the IV it is only po. It must have been Morphine, Demerol, or Dilaudid or something else. Maybe you are allergic to Morphine also. I will call and see what it was so you will know for the next time. In medicine you never know what you are allergic to until you take it

hmmmm. maybe I am allergic to something else. Or maybe I am just assuming they gave it to me in my IV. You would think I would have a memory of taking it orally, but my husband says I was talking to them before it happened. I don't even remember that. All he knew was that they all of a sudden shooed him out of the room while my face was swelling and he didn't get to come back for almost two hours. I am really curious now.

Can You Tell Me What And How It Works And Is It Worth It How You Feel Things Like That

so far I am really mixed about my feelings towards the surgery. I know that is just because I am sore and dehydrated a bit. Has anyone else had the feeling after surgery that you were not hungry at any time? I have had not one hunger pang, but I force myself to drink Water and about 1/4 cup of chicken broth. But then I really feel full. I'm not hungry one bit. I feel like I have restriction, but I'm sure that is just from bieng swollen.