Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am 3 Weeks Post-Op With Vertical Sleeve And So Excited!

I had my surgery on Feb. 8th 2012 and had a starting weight pre-surgery was 315 I lost down to (it was my doctors requirements that your lose between 10 - 15lbs before surgery) the day of surgery I weighted in at 299 and today I am down to 282. I had my surgery at Pikeville Hospital in Pikeville Ky and my doctor is Amy Johnson, and I could not be happier with the care I received from both. I have not had any complications, however I have followed the diet my doctor gave me. I am 32 years old and have been overweight for most of my life. My parents put me on my first diet when I was in the 3rd grade and I was up and down since then. But after I met my husband (and got comfortable in the relationship) my weight began to creep out of control, I told him he must have feed me to well (we would eat out alot). I was always able to starve myself and get my weight down to what I thougt was manageable, but July 2 years ago I had a complete hysterectomy and from then on I have not been able to lose. So after I tried to ride the swings at an amusement park and would not fit I decided it was time to do something. I have 2 girls ages 8 and 6 who keep me on my toes and I have always been active even as a large girl, but it was a real eye opener when that happened. So I am so excited to be on my journey!

How do you get the weight ticker?

Congrats! Welcome to the BIG LOSER'S BENCH! This is so exciting of a journey. Enjoy! ;)

Congrats!! So happy for you!!

really cool. that is funny you mentioned the amusement park, as that was one of my goals was to be able to fit on all the rides. i had my surgery on august 16th 2011, and i am now down to 200 pounds. i went 2 weeks ago to knotts berry farm, and was able to fit on everything. it was so exciting. of course my tummy thought otherwise by the end of the day.(i felt like hurling) it was still so cool to have those bars go all the way down! i started right were you were as well, i was 311 pounds at the begining of my journey, and i was 266 the day of my surgery. i am what you call a slow loser, since i have only lost 66 pounds since surgery, 6 months ago, but i will take that anyday, cause before the surgery i wouldnt have lost any of that anyways. good luck...and congrats!

I'm a 32 year old hyster-sister too. I've also always struggled, but been able to carefully diet and at least maintain. Since my hysterectomy, forget it. I'm gaining with abandon, though it has seemed to have leveld out now, and I just can't lose. I'm hoping the sleeve will be able to fix it, it sounds like it has for you, so I'm inspired! My PCP thinks that I always had a slow metabolism, and sugical menopause just killed what little I had. She thinks that the low calorie intake required my the sleeve will allow me to maintain a healthy weight, because I just don;t need enough calories in a day not to be hungry otherwise. I bet you're the same way. Congrats on your loss so far, I can't wait to join you on the Losers Bench!

Thanks everyone! I do have a question/problem though. I was very open about my surgery at first but I had also planned on having the band. It was Changed to sleeve only two weeks before surgery now I don't want anyone to know what I did. So for the most part everyone that knows me thinks I have the band is this wrong?

I wouldn't worry about what others think. This is a no need to know deal. But I'm curious as to why you don't want to tell anyone you had changed your mind and picked the sleeve? This is more concerning to me. ;)

I had and still have in my mind that the sleeve was for really overweight people and just didn't want to put myself in that category. Even though I know I am.

We all have those struggles. I'm glad you have the sleeve, I think it's more effective than the band for most people, at least it's permanent! CONGRATS!

weight.png

You have to put it in you signature in your profile settings

I am so happy for you!

Oh and the doctor was the one who changed my mind. If she had not said anything I would be banded right now.

hi, when i first approaced my PHP he totally approved the WLS from the beginning, he suggested the lap band - luckily during my first "introduction" seminar - after hearing all the info about both the lap band, and sleeve, i chose the latter. What a good life changing decision.

kathy