Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded In Mexico

Hi everyone from Mass. I was banded in Mexico on July 18.

Everything went well - the experience fine and I have lost 12lbs already but I really dont want go all the way back there to get my fills. The trip was long and tough. Does anyone from around the Boston area know of a Dr around here who will take patients that were banded in Mexico? Anyone out there from Boston who had the procedure done by Dr Ortiz in Mexico?

I have not had the surgery but i'm considering Dr Rodriguez in Mexico.I'm considering getting the lap band in mexico due to the cheaper expenses but scared to go over there or have to pay allot of money for fills once back in MA. What is typicall for fills? How many do you get? I want this so bad! Has anyone been to mexico? can you help me out? If you find a doc who does fills in our area please let me Know. Thanks!

Hey, I was just banded in Acuna Mexico by Dr. Rodriguez. I don't live in Mass., but the gal with me is from Delaware and also looking for a fill doc. I will email her and see what she has found in the general area. If you have any specific questions regarding Dr. Rod (Jose), I'd be happy to help.

i went to dr ortiz. it was immaculately clean and run like a well oiled machine. dr ortiz is very charming. one of the pluses of going to mexico is that when i made the decision to have it done, was able to get an appointment in a week- no waiting to be accepted etc- and i know the price is less (8500 for mine including the hotel and everything)

the big negative is that i cant find a place to get fills. i dont want to go back to mexico. one more thing from my own experience- i wish i hadn't gone alone. i felt lonely and scared after the surgery and the trip home was really horrible.

i feel fine now and i have lost 12 lbs. if anyone knows or hears of a place nearby to do fills please let me know

I live in Milton Ma. How about you?

I dont know about Dr Rodriguez but i have heard many good things about him. The lapband was used outside the US for way longer than it has been used here and there is a group of Mexican Drs that are famous for having done many more procedures for much longer and have really perfected this procedure. the clinics are beautiful- equipment the latest- the hotel accomodations luxurious...having satisfied patients is very important as this alternative to having it done in the US is growing and growing. It is really so much easier to have it done in Mexico- no psychologist approval, no wait, much less restrictive about initial body weight and bmi and less costly!!

EXCEPT for the aftercare issue. Dr Ortiz includes free fills for his post op patients. I would go back in a minute but it so long for a 15 min procedure.

There is no non stop flight to San Diego- have to change planes and unlike the initial procedure ,they dont pick you up at airport. You have to find a way to get to Tijuana ( i heard a cab for $130 not positive about this)

then up to you whether to spend the night in the hotel- Mrs Ortiz says they can get you a better rate.

Next is crossing the border it takes 1 to 3 hours of waiting,

and finally to the crowded S.D. airport for a 7 hour changing planes packed airplane ride home.

I sound like a spoiled baby cause really I am fine, so happy I did it and 12 lbs thinner!

The bottom line is that the medical procedural part is easy, safe, less time to book or wait for procedure- no need to meet w/psycologist, and less expensive. Some people who felt better than me went shopping for silver and other bargains and had fun.

The down side is aftercare and fills.

Sorry to go on so long but one more thing- I got an email from the Long Island Bariatric Center one in NY City and one in Levitown NY stating that they will take fill patients for international patients. I am going to check this out. I also downloaded a list from the Inamed (maker of Lapband) web sight with all t he docs in Boston that use it. I am going to go down the list and see if I can get one of them. I will let you know.

Let me know what you decide or if you need any more info- let me know a little about yourself. linda

You can also look into a yahoo group called mexicanbandsters. They have lists of fill doctors for most states. It's in the "files section" I believe.

Hi. I know this thread is kinda old but I just wanted to let you know that I had all the same fears about going to Mexico, i.e. going by myself, where to get the fills, etc. Well as I was doing research about the lap-band I came across the web-site for Group LapBand trip to Mexico. Long story short this site coordiantes a group of people to get together and all go down to Mexico and get the surgery at the same time. Dr. Huacuz is the surgeon and he is great. The place is clean, they take good care of you and it is all for $8000 - $8500 including airfare. Now I can go back and get fills there but Melissa (the coordinator) told me of Fill centers USA that are all over the country that fill your band. All you have to do is go to their website at Fill Centers USA - Weight Loss Surgery - Bariatric Surgery - Gastric Bypass Surgery - Lap Band Surgery Information and Support and go to the bottom to find a location near you. They charge $299 for the first visit and $150 for each additional, most sites also do the fluoro (barium swallow under xray). Also the good thing about Dr. Huacuz is that they give you your medical records on the proceedure in english and send you home with an xray of your band. He is wonderful. I hope this helps and if you already have the info sorry for the belated post!!