Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swollen Vein from IV

This is not a complication per se, but more of annoying side effect...

I'm hoping maybe I'm not the only one out there with this issue...?

I'm 4 weeks out of surgery and my hand and wrist that had the IV in it have been very sore since surgery. I even went to the doctor 2 days post op to check for a blood clot because my entire arm still hurt, it was sort of numb in spots and my wrist was noticeably swollen.

The Dr. said no blood clot, it's just an irritation from the anesthetic.

Fair enough.

Well it's nearly a month since that IV was in and my vein on that wrist is still huge and ugly (like a body builder, you know how they puff out and are really prominent) and it still hurts quite a bit to touch my hand or wrist anywhere.

I mean a month later and STILL swollen and painful?! yuck

I don't have a Dr. to go see. the nearest one is 5 hours away, so I won't be going for amother week or so...but I was just curious if this has happened to anyone else...?

I had an IV "infiltrate" when I was 16 and my vein is still popped up.... sorry .....but if it is hard or warm that's different....lots of warm compresses help and elevate it!!! Hang in there!!

God Bless,

MElody

Banded 3/20/06 -71lbs :)

Hmm... that much swelling, vein protrusion, and pain might just be phlebitis (inflammation)/thrombophlebitis (inflammation b/c of a blood clot).

I've had suerficial thrombophlebitis a few times. Not in a long time, but for a while I had them frequently enough that I could call my doc and tell him what was wrong. Here's what I looked for.

- Extremely painful to even the lightest touch. I men seriousl - blowing on it will hurt.

- Skin above and around is very hot to the touch (I would hover my hand over it and could feel the heat radiating from my skin)

- After a few days could usually see where the clot was, in the form of a red/dark "worm" visible under the skin.

- Did I say extremely painful?

- I mean extremely painful!

I know from the times I had them and what my doc would tell me that 2 weeks is about the longest to know if you'll develop it or not. E.g. the trauma happens day 1, and if you're going to get a clot it should be apparent by day 14. So in that sense it definitely doesn't sound like a clot.

So take that for what it's worth. If you're having significant pain/swelling/vein deformation, go see someone. The nearest doc is 5 hours away? Do you have an urgent care clinic or ER you can visit? If it is something more significant than "irritation", you don't want to mess around.

In the meantime, moist heat and tylenol or something stronger for pain is what was recommended for mine. Definitely if you notice a red swollen vein going all the way up your arm you need to have it noted by your doctor.