Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal Weight Question

I’ve got a serious question for everyone. We all have a specific goal weight that we’re striving to reach. What I’ve been reading around the forum is some reach their goal and others don’t. Is there a wall or plateau that each of us reaches and we don’t lose much more after that? Is the amount of weight loss tied to a certain time frame post surgery? In other words, do we try to get as much weight off by say month 4 otherwise we hit the wall and that’s it? I know we’re all different, but are there factors that increase our odds of reaching the goal? I’m not sure if any of this is making sense or not.

What prevents us from continuing to lose weight 2 and 3 years out? If we’re taking in only 1000 calories a day, why wouldn’t we continue to lose weight if we’re burning up more than that in a day?

at any point for anyone you will stop losing weight either because there is no more fat for you to lose, or no more fat that you should lose! I wouldn't think that most people will lose much more 2-3 years out because it really shouldn't take that long in the first place to lose your excess weight. At that point it you should really just be maintaining if anything.

I also think that a lot of people might not hit goal (and i say that very lienently) because once they drop the excess fat that they have the may also have excess skin which is going to add a few lbs that they wont be able to get rid of unless they have plastic surgery to correct it.. and for a few people that can be an excess of 20lbs or more.

Stalls and plateaus happen, but nothing really that can't be conquered.

Hope that helped

Depending on how much you have to lose and the little extras life throws at you, it is possible to still lose weight after a few years, but chances are either you or your body will create a stall. A stall further out is different than it is in the beginning.

The more weight you lose the less "sitting" calories you will burn. So unless you have added activity to your lifestyle you will not burn much extra. Even then it has to be an active lifestyle, not a life with an activity in it.

Another thing is I think many people hit that level that they would have anyway, but it is harder to slingshot back.

You have no guarantee you will only consume 1000 calories a day...if you learn bad habits you could easily eat twice that much.

I know a young lady that took 2 years to lose 45 lb...but she did it and eight years later it is still off. Who knew...

I am only 5 weeks out but I intend to hit my goal and stay there. My sleeve will pretty much tolerate anything now(although I can barely get in an ounce at a time). But I still choose to fill it with lean Protein first,I used to be a lover of all things carbs-bad carbs. Breaded everything,chips,crackers,candy,etc. But now I am like a bad carb nazi hehe,and I intend to stay that way with leniency in moderation when/if I ever feel like I absolutely would like to eat like one chip or a bite of cake at bday party. I will never again make it my everyday lifestyle to eat empty calories,carbs,and junk all around,and I feel that this,plus adding exercise,will take me to goal and keep me there.

VSG or not, weight loss is a mathematic equation. If you consistently burn more calories than you take in, you are going to lose weight, whether from fat, skin or anywhere else on or in your body but a certain point it will be become unhealthy, as in starvation. I think the biggest obstacle to attaining goal is going to be the effort we put forth to get there. I understand that the majority of the weight loss that is attributed largely to the surgery is going to happen in the first 6-12 months. After that it's going to take more specific attention to details or we face undoing the progress made or just stoppng our weight loss shy of goal.