Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to old habits

HI everyone...I feel like I'm back to old habits. Maybe it's the 100 degree heat! I was banded 4/18, I've lost 52lbs. I just had my first fill of .6 cc's last week. I feel like I'm falling back into my old habits.

I know I was a volume eater pre-band - compared to what I eat now, yes, I overate. But...there were times, many actually, that I didn't eat at all. Some weekends I'd eat 1 meal on both Saturday & Sunday. I find that with the band I can't eat much at all. Eating isn't "fun" anymore, so sometimes I just don't eat, I'll drink something because it's easier.

I'm finding that I am getting no-where near the number of calories or Protein I need. My hair is coming out - not in clumps, but I get many many strands on my hands while putting the gel in the a.m. Because we have to eat Protein first, I find I have no room for anything past a couple ounces of meat. No room for veggies or fruit which I do like. I don't feel overly restricted, but I do know that my level of intake is so reduced that I can't possibly continue to lose any weight.

In fact, I find that that I stay the same for several weeks, then drop a few. I don't lose weight steady each week like most people. I wish I could get back to eating more veggies etc. like I used to. I just can't, and I have the mind set sometimes of "why bother eating then?"

I know that's not good. Maybe I need to head back to the nutrtionist that I have unlimited visits to for 3 years....I may need to talk to her about this.

Anyone else kind of feel the old ways creeping back in - I don't want it to be this way - I want to lose weight but I want me to be healthy too!!

Thanks for listening.

I'm at a similar state, but it's nothing like the old ways... so I can kind of relate, and kind of not. :)

It's a struggle for me to eat enough to get my basic requirements for Protein in, even if I go liquid. I'm just not hunrgy very often, and fill up quickly. I'm full before I can even finish a Protein shake. Because I try to put so much emphasis on Protein, there's not a lot of room for anything else. Which means that if I'm really craving something, protein goes by the way side (my philosophy is that it's better to have a small amount of something and satiate your craving, than get to the point where you obsess on it, which is when you'll eat way too much).

My weightloss is inconsistent as well. I've lost a lot of weight, but it comes in spurts. And lately it seems like my "stalls" (use that term very lightly) come in right around the 10lb mark. I know that has to be coincidence because my body never took math, but it's still a pattern I've noticed. So - in July I lost rapidly from 301 to 290, but I've been at 290 for a while now. Before that I went from 317 to 300 rapidly, but it took forever to cross the threshold of 299. I've gone as long as 5 or 6 weeks with no loss at all. So long story short, I'm always surprised, rather than expecting, if I step on for my weekly weigh and there's a change.

My weight loss have never been steady, either. It has always been in spurts, and then gain a couple of pounds back, then stay there, longer than I like, then lose a bunch again...I have gone long periods of time without losing "numbers on the scale" at all, but clothes have become loose, and people start commenting on how much I have lost. Bodies need to adjust. Bodies change. You gain muscle weight, that replace all that space that fat once took. I don't know how it all works, but it does. Stick with it, take a big picture point of view, and in a year, you'll be amazed! (probably waaaay before then!)

My weight loss happens in spurts too. I had another fill this morning, and my doc questioned me at first because I'd lost 2.1kg since I saw him 5 weeks a go which is just under a pound a week. But as I explained, the only weight I've lost in the past four or five months has come right after my fills - I'm swollen for a week and have great restriction during which time I lose weight, then the restriction eases off and I maintain for the next four or five weeks till I see the doctor again.

So he gave me another fill but warned me that as I've now gotten to 2.5 cc I should take it very carefully the next few days, but that hopefully this may make my restriction a little more adequate over the rest of the month.

But it still adds up. I suppose I feel OK about it becuase I've only got about 13kg left to lose, so I can see that happening inside 12 months. Its a bit different if you're having that trouble and you've got lots more weight to lose. Nobody wants to think its going to take years and years.