Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi fellow sleevers

a couple of years ago, i had several orthopedic problems, amongst them breaking my femur,,left knee replacement, and now having the right knee with a knee replacement, just to name a few. i want to say many others might have similar problems contrbuted by excess weight.

i went to my orthopedic dr. several months ago to start the plans toward having the knee replacement - as soon as i mentioned that i would be having the sleeve in December 2011 - he put the brakes on.

Told me he would love to see me lose some weight. (just saying recovery would be easier, PT) Of course that made perfect sense, but i really wanted my knee surgery.

I did decide to wait, and will have the surgery 4/26/12. I have lost 38 lbs so far - my dream would be to lose another 12 lbs, but any excess lost would be welcomed.

this just reinforced when we lose a little of weight, we obviously inch fowards, our health does improve in various ways.

I won't be able to run around with my grandkids, but at least i might be able to catch up.

kathy

Sorry about all your problems. =( My mom had to have knee replacement surgery and now is looking at a hip replacement. :/ I'm glad you still get to have your surgery,and congrats on the weight loss thus far!

I began this whole process because I need knee replacement and after speaking with 2 orthos, was told I had to lose weight before either would do the surgery, in fact they recommended WLS. The thought of another surgery just about makes me crazy, but my quality of life has become so rotten that it is not even an option anymore...I HAVE to do it.

I had my sleeve on 1/23 and have lost 41 lbs to date........about 50 more to go for the surgery to be done. In the meantine, the worst part is that not only am trying to deal with the sleeve stuff, but a knee that is just killing me. Hard to keep up the smiles! But, I am doing this for long range benefits and I WILL get through this........hopefully me family will still want to be around me after all this....lol. Stay strong.......we are all in this together!!

I can somewhat relate I was 48 when I had a left partial knee replacement and 52 when I had my right knee totally replaced. I was 60 lbs heavier with my second replacement and the rehab was a lot harder.

For those of you who are contemplating knee replacemnt, I can tell you it was one of the best decisions I made. to be pain free is priceless.

I had this surgery BECAUSE of my knees. I need to have both replaced and my doc flat out refused to do it until I lose weight. Sadly, now that I'm not taking NSAIDS I can hardly walk. Well, I could hardly walk before the surgery, too, but I was in less pain. I guess my doc will do it when I lose about another 60 pounds. I've been kind of bummed as I go through this recovery, knowing two more huge surgeries await me this year. But I can't wait to get my life back again. Have fun with your grandkids!

I'm kinda in reverse to the above posts. I wrecked a motorcycle in 2009 and in 2010 I had my right knee replaced. No choice, it had to be done due to the damage. Anyway, afterwards I soon realized that I needed to get my excess weight off in order to keep my artificial knee as long as possible. So I had my surgery on 11/15/2011, had to do a 4 month diet per my insurance. I have seen dramatic results in how I feel since losing some of my excess weight. I don't have near the amount of pain that I had prior to WLS. Don't misunderstand, I do still have pain on a daily basis (and always will), but I can walk a heck of a lot easier and I know I am overall a lot healthier.

So either knees first or WLS first, it's a plus to get them both regardless of which one comes first!

I have had knee problems for about 9 years now. Mainly the left knee, I tore the meniscus while doing dog agility training with my westies but waited 2 years to have the knee scope. That helped alot and was only getting a cortisone shot in it about once a year. Well, about 2 weeks ago I did something to it I guess and woke in severe pain and got into the a physcian asst at my knee dr and he took xrays and said I need a knee replacement. They gave me a cortisone shot in the knee and it is much better but it is only temp as I know that isn't gonna cure it. The structure of the knee is off and there is no cushion between the bones, its bone on bone. I am doing physical therapy for it now and off pain killers. I am worried this will allow me to not get a surgery date! I was told I have to be able to exercise and can't be on pain killers to get a surgery date. I don't know if I should go ahead and have the knee replaced and then have the WLS or have WLS first and then the knee replacement! UGH! I have started doing my usually one mile walk to dvd in 15 minutes the last three days and done ok. It doesn't hurt much but I can hear/feel it popping and worry it is gonna hurt!