Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I first started in a Weight Loss program 2006. It was affiliated with a local hospital near work. The first two meetings were group meetings. I was sort of put off because the administrators at the time said that they had adopted a policy of only doing the Gastric bypass (no gastric bands) since they had determined that the bypass resulted in the most success.

At the time I had not tried to many fromal diet programs, but I was willing to work with them and see where things led. I lost about 30 lb's on my own with diet and exercise. Having access to a scale that went high enough to to weigh myself helped. Over time I became discouraged as the only goal they seemed interested in was to schedule the surgery. I dropped out of the program.

November 2009 , I decided to try again. This time the program had changed. It was more organized. (Also, options had changed as my insurance started covering VSG). The first orientation meeting I was weighed at 465. The second orientation meeting the program was described. My pre-surgery goal weight was 419. At the second group meeting was also where I found out that VSG was an option. Before that, I was leaning toward the Realize Band that I had researched. I felt that I had the discipline for the VSG to work.

The owner of a local health club gave a speech on the value of exercise, which I really didn't need. I had torn my right ACL, MCL and meniscus in 1973, had the knee replaced in 2002. I had herniated L3-L4 and L4-L5 discs between 1989 and 1995. I had convinced myself that any exercise would in pain the next day (it usually did). The health club owner offered 4 sessions ½ hour sessions with a personal trainer for anyone in the program. I took advantage of the offer and

joined the club after the 4 visits. The scale did not move for 2 months, though I felt better. I was initially able to do 10 minutes on a treadmill at a time. I lost about 30 lbs walking 3 times a week by the following March. But it stayed at 30 for the next 3 months. I switched clubs and started doing more walking. I built my endurance up to a mile (in 25 minutes). I also started aquatic therapy (laps in heated pool) that helped the legs recover between walking. I was 429 when I went under surgery December 2011. I was 409 30 days later and was 382 when I was last weighed the first week of February. I now go to two clubs 3-4 times a week to get my mile in and am down to 20:05 in time. I hope to keep up the 10 lbs a month loss average. We'll see. I need to me more focused on getting my minimum 80g's of Protein each day. I feel it trying to get through workout. That and the fluids. Nothing like waking up with a dry tongue stuck to your upper lip.

Hiya Albany Dan, welcome to VST!!!

10 lbs per month lost is a great goal. It's very cautious and it will keep you from losing your sanity should one month you don't hit it. All the best to you! I know I sure don't regret having my sleeve done. Nope!! :)