Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Journey Begins.....

Hi Everyone!

I'm at the very beginning of my journey, so please bear with me.

I am 37, single, female, and I live in Doha, Qatar. Currently weigh 259 pounds.

I have many reasons for wanting to have the surgery - mainly to improve my overall health, but a big reason for doing it is to improve my confidence. I've always been overweight and always been shy around strangers, but with the right people around me I was happy and outgoing and being overweight wasn't such a big deal. But - I had a major knock to my confidence about 18 months ago and since then things haven't been so good. I'm in a vicious cycle of desperately needing to meet new people, but being too embarassed about my size to have the confidence to join any new groups. So aswell as improving my physical health, which drastically needs an overhaul the psychological benefits will be equally, if not more important.

I'm having my surgery done at the local hospital here in Qatar and I'd be really interested to hear from anyone else who's had their surgery done anywhere in the Middle East.

So far, I've just had the initial consultation with the surgeon. The hospital adminstration and communication here is very bad, so even finding out how to get the appointment was a traumatic process!

But - eventually I got to see a surgeon to discuss my options. The consultation was brief... I was weighed, told I was eligible for surgery, and given the option of Gastric Bypass or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. He told me to go away and talk to people who've had the surgery.... unfortunately there are no support groups for VSG in Qatar, so if you don't mind, guys - will you be my support group?

But finally - I'm on the waiting list!

The waiting list is 6-8 months, which suits me just fine. Time to mentally and physically prepare.

In preparation, I'm trying to exercise every day - my reward for exercising every day is to treat myself to a massage at the weekend. If I skip a day I'm not allowed that massage, so it's a good incentive! I'm cutting down on the carbs, cutting down on smoking with the aim of giving up completely before surgery, and I'm trying to cut out diet pepsi! I hardly drink alcohol so that's not an issue.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Any tips would be gratefully received!

Next week I'm seeing the anaesthetist for pre-op assessment, then later abdominal ultrasound and then endoscopy, which I'm not looking forward to at all!

I'd love to hear from any of you and share experiences

x

Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you'll be happier for it. . . Im going into my 3rd year and it's been quite the journey. . .i'm not from the middle east, but surgery is surgery. . . good luck and welcome!

Hi diverdiva! Welcome to the group!

This is a great place to go for questions and support. Keep an open mind and realize that everyone is quite different and unique, so experiences will vary. For your age and weight, I'd strongly suggest VSG over Bypass. It's less "intrusive" and has less side effects, in my opinion. I'm about to turn 36, so we're similar in age. And my highest weight was 265lbs at 5'2". I started considering surgery in October and spent many months researching it and meeting with support groups. That's what helped me decide the VSG option.

I was sleeved three weeks ago and (so far) have had a great recovery. It is important to do all the things you mentioned, start healthy living now. Definitely quit smoking! There is a risk of pneumonia from the surgery/anesthia, so the healthier your lungs the better. I'm sorry the consultation process was so difficult. It will be important to have a good line of communication - is there anything that can help with that?

For me, having support was critical - that was my husband. But there is no way I could have done this alone, especially the first week. Even if it's one good friend or family member, just for the emotional up's and down's. You are able to be fairly independent very quickly (showering, dressing, etc.) but there are things like driving you can't do for about a week.

Please let us know how things progress for you. Best of luck on your journey!

Yes! Congrats and welcome! I know you will find this forum to be very informative and helpful. We have all been in your shoes (except for the middle east part). The support here on this forum has helped me tremendously. I imagine any question you have has already been asked here, but feel free to ask away. That is what it is for. :)

Preparing mentally is probably the best thing to do. Getting my arms around the fact that I will not longer eat the way I used to was a good thing for me to realize and prepare for.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you and please keep us updated!

Good luck!!

Vance

Hi guys

Thanks for your lovely comments and messages of support so far. It's good to hear you're all doing so well on your own personal journeys.

x

Hey diverdiva, Welcome to the group. This is the most supportive group I have found! I had my surgery in Mexico (insurance wouldn't pay anything towards my surgery) so there is no support group sponsored by my surgeon that I can attend. And when I have had problems, questions, etc. this is where I have come! And there have ALWAYS been helpful individuals here who gave me the best advice they could. It is a wonderful group.

One word of advice for you. Get off the Diet Pepsi as soon as you can. My surgeon told me (don't know if it is true or not, but I am not taking chances!) that carbonated beverages tend to stretch out the sleeve and allow for increased food intake. Also Diet Pepsi seems to increase some peoples craving for other sweets. So search around for a substitute drink and get going on it now. So that by the time you have your procedure, you won't be going through withdrawal from the caffiene in D.P. at the same time as the pre op diet, or the post op diet and recovery period. I waited and gave it up post op (cold turkey) and had a headache and craving for weeks after. I was a true D.P. addict! Drank 6-8 twelve ounce cans daily. Sometimes more!

Best of luck in getting everything arranged. for your surgery. Sounds like the medical system there can be frustrating.

We are glad to have you as a new member of our group! It is a life changing (and Life Long) journey. Best of luck as you take your first steps in that journey! Please don't be a stranger.

Kathy D (alias Helen the Cat)

Thanks Kathy

It wasn't until I started thinking about stopping drinking Diet Pepsi that I realised quite how much of it I drink! Maybe 4-5 cans a day sometimes. I'm currently down to one or two, and hopefully today is going to be the first DP free day!

What you said about carbonated drinks stretching out the sleeve was very interesting. I hadn't even considered that before. I always knew DP wasn't the healthiest drink, but I just figured it's a diet drink, no sugar, and it's not like I'm drinking pints of vodka every day... how bad could it be? Well - you've opened my eyes! No more DP for me!

It's a struggle! I have been D.P. "free" now for 8 months, and I still crave it. Where I am working currently (I am a travel nurse and change jobs every 13 weeks or so) they have a refrig at the nurse's station for visitors, patients and staff with cans of all kinds of soda pop, for free! (including D.P. naturally), Water, milk, and some juice. I am constantly tempted to have a "little drink" (the cans are 4 ounce cans). I have to keep telling myself, "I don't drink D.P. ANYMORE!!!" But it is a struggle. Best wishes!!!

Kathy D (alias Helen the Cat)