Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeved On The 16Th! A Few Questions For Those Who Have Been Already...:)

Hi there! I'm getting sleeved on Thursday, February 16th and honestly I am a nervous wreck right now. I've read the fantastic threads about the do's and don'ts and what to bring to the hospital and everything, but I still have a few lingering questions that I'd like to ask those who have gone through the process already. To make it short and sweet, here they are:

1. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the pain you experienced upon waking up for the first time after surgery & also the couple days after?

2. What kind of pain was it and where on your body did you experience it?

3. How did you manage to get all of the Water you needed in during the days after surgery?

As you can see, pain is kind of a big deal to me because I have such a low pain tolerance. :(

Answers to those questions will be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you. :) xoxoxo

Im glad you asked I want to know to I have my surgery on feb 22....good luck Ihope somebody answers

Edited by andkel30

Good luck to both you ladies!!!! I was sleeved on Jan25th so I am 3 weeks out! I love my new sleeve!!! Let me start by saying no two people handle pain or recover the same. I have had 3 c-sections and the sleeve was a piece of cake compared to them! When I first woke after having my sleeve done,I felt no pain as the anesthesia had not completely worn off. I then went to recovery where my pain was managed well with a pump for me to push as well as meds in my iv when I asked. My pain was about a 3 tops in the recovery room. Then I got to my actual room. I was feeling alot better,sleeping alot,but again,my pain was being managed with meds. When I got up to walk the halls a bit,the worst pain was from the gas. They pump you full of air during surgery so they have room to work. That was really the only pain I felt but it hurt! I would say about a 4-5. In my chest and lung,shoulder and neck areas. The key is to keep taking deep breaths,take gas x chewables, and get your butt outta that hospital bed and walk,walk,walk(if you are permitted to do so). It helps to have someone rub and pat your back while walking to help get that gas off. It is totally do-able. I would do it again in a second honestly. It is so worth the 16+ lbs I've lost in 3 weeks and the rest I know I will lose forever! I feel great now by the way,able to tolerate soft foods and no pain AT ALL. You both can do this,good luck and keep us updated!!! (((HUGS)))

Hi there! I'm getting sleeved on Thursday, February 16th and honestly I am a nervous wreck right now. I've read the fantastic threads about the do's and don'ts and what to bring to the hospital and everything, but I still have a few lingering questions that I'd like to ask those who have gone through the process already. To make it short and sweet, here they are:

1. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the pain you experienced upon waking up for the first time after surgery & also the couple days after?

3. How did you manage to get all of the Water you needed in during the days after surgery?

As you can see, pain is kind of a big deal to me because I have such a low pain tolerance. :(

Answers to those questions will be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you. :smile1: xoxoxo

Sorry,forgot to answer the Water part! lol. Ok so I am required to get in 64 ozs at least in a 24 hr period.I couldn't do it. I still can only do about 40 ozs at 3 weeks out. Just try try try. I keep a huge cup right next to me when I sleep and I even sip sip sip every time I wake up in the night with my babies. I wake up sipping,carry the cup with me everywhere sipping lol. Honestly,after making yourself sip almost constantly,it kinda becomes a habit. If you can't tolerate cold water at first,try warm broth,tea,or even luke warm water. I LOVE a cup of hot herbal tea first thing in the morning,it makes my sleeve feel awesome and sets me for the day. =)

Sorry,forgot to answer the Water part! lol. Ok so I am required to get in 64 ozs at least in a 24 hr period.I couldn't do it. I still can only do about 40 ozs at 3 weeks out. Just try try try. I keep a huge cup right next to me when I sleep and I even sip sip sip every time I wake up in the night with my babies. I wake up sipping,carry the cup with me everywhere sipping lol. Honestly,after making yourself sip almost constantly,it kinda becomes a habit. If you can't tolerate cold Water at first,try warm broth,tea,or even luke warm water. I LOVE a cup of hot herbal tea first thing in the morning,it makes my sleeve feel awesome and sets me for the day. =)

Thank you so much for ALL of your answers, Junior Guru!!!! Really, it was great hearing your feedback and makes me feel a lot better about surgery tomorrow. :)

I will be sure to take all of your advice. And GREAT JOBBBB on the weight you've lost so far in such a short period of time!!!!!!!! :) Keep up the good work!

All4my4 thanks for the info that comforting I didn't have c-section but I've had a fibroid removed they did 3 incisions and pumped me up with gas I felt the pain in my shoulders and chest it wasn't that bad and didn't have any pain so I'm hoping this goes over the same......

I'm not gonna lie to you- when I woke up in recovery I was at a full on 10 on the pain scale (and I have delivered a 9+lb baby with no epidural, had a csection, an appendectomy, and my gallbladder removed). I had nothing left in me bc my surgeon wants his patients fully awake and aware before giving pain meds. Within a few minutes of waking I had gotten my meds and was ok after that.

I'm still working on the Water thing 9 days out.

Sorry,forgot to answer the Water part! lol. Ok so I am required to get in 64 ozs at least in a 24 hr period.I couldn't do it. I still can only do about 40 ozs at 3 weeks out. Just try try try. I keep a huge cup right next to me when I sleep and I even sip sip sip every time I wake up in the night with my babies. I wake up sipping,carry the cup with me everywhere sipping lol. Honestly,after making yourself sip almost constantly,it kinda becomes a habit. If you can't tolerate cold Water at first,try warm broth,tea,or even luke warm water. I LOVE a cup of hot herbal tea first thing in the morning,it makes my sleeve feel awesome and sets me for the day. =)

I was sleeved Jan 24th at 7 AM. I also had hernia repair at the time of my surgery. I woke up with very very little pain. It's more like muscle soreness from doing too many sit ups. I didnt take pain meds until bedtime (because I wanted to be able to sleep, not so much because of the pain). I was more concerned with Nausea & not pain ( I had never had any type of surgery - NOTHING ) I had no nausea at all - still havent. I am still on full liquids and pudding, yogurt. cheese, very soft foods. Your belly button will probally be sore - Everyone is different, but I really cant imagine a large amount of pain - but I know it's possible. Walk as soon as your allowed, to get rid of gas. The gas pressure is what I really dealt with for a few days. Also bring a small travel pillow with you for the drive home, put the pillow against your stomach then put on your seatbelt. This helps ALOT, bring that pillow with you everytime your in the car. Dont wear any pants that button or zip, only elastic waist. Getting in and out of the bed is a slight struggle. Prop up about 3-4 pillows againts your headboard - getting out of your bed from a upright position is alot less painfull than from a laying down position. If your bed/mattress is high up - have a small step stool next to your bed to help getting in and out. Also, sleep with as many pillows as you can to keep your head in the upright position in order to not have acid reflux - This helps me alot. Feel free to ask any other questions ! I promise this surgery will be alot easier than you expect (if I had to - I'd do it again) Follow all of the rules, dont skip ahead on your diet & dont lift anything heavy , you never want to risk a leak !!!

Answers to those questions will be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you. :smile1: xoxoxo

I was sleeved Jan 24th at 7 AM. I also had hernia repair at the time of my surgery. I woke up with very very little pain. It's more like muscle soreness from doing too many sit ups. I didnt take pain meds until bedtime (because I wanted to be able to sleep, not so much because of the pain). I was more concerned with Nausea & not pain ( I had never had any type of surgery - NOTHING ) I had no nausea at all - still havent. I am still on full liquids and pudding, yogurt. cheese, very soft foods. Your belly button will probally be sore - Everyone is different, but I really cant imagine a large amount of pain - but I know it's possible. Walk as soon as your allowed, to get rid of gas. The gas pressure is what I really dealt with for a few days. Also bring a small travel pillow with you for the drive home, put the pillow against your stomach then put on your seatbelt. This helps ALOT, bring that pillow with you everytime your in the car. Dont wear any pants that button or zip, only elastic waist. Getting in and out of the bed is a slight struggle. Prop up about 3-4 pillows againts your headboard - getting out of your bed from a upright position is alot less painfull than from a laying down position. If your bed/mattress is high up - have a small step stool next to your bed to help getting in and out. Also, sleep with as many pillows as you can to keep your head in the upright position in order to not have acid reflux - This helps me alot. Feel free to ask any other questions ! I promise this surgery will be alot easier than you expect (if I had to - I'd do it again) Follow all of the rules, dont skip ahead on your diet & dont lift anything heavy , you never want to risk a leak !!!

Forgot to put my info.

Sleeved on Jan-24th-2012

Staring weight - 200 LBS

home from hospital Jan 25th, Weighed 204 (from Fluid Iv & gas)

Feb-15-2012 - 181 LBS !!

Thank you EVERYONE for sharing your personal stories as well as the wonderful tips! You all are great and SO helpful!

I am not as nervous about surgery tomorrow morning and am definitely taking all of your advice, for sure!

By the way, to andkel30: I didn't see your message before, but upon viewing my thread now I just noticed it! Good luck to you too!!!!! After my surgery is over I'll message you and let you know how everything went. :)

All4my4 thanks for the info that comforting I didn't have c-section but I've had a fibroid removed they did 3 incisions and pumped me up with gas I felt the pain in my shoulders and chest it wasn't that bad and didn't have any pain so I'm hoping this goes over the same......

We are having surgery on the same day. This forum has been so very informative. I am still a little nervous, but I this forum helps calm my nerves. I'm in the Dallas area also.

Congrats to you all! I am with Bedhead. When I woke up in recovery, it was a total 10. My nurse was there, of course. I told her I was hurting SO bad. She put the pain pump in my hand and told me to be sure and use it. I was still hurting by the time I got in the room where my family was waiting. I had a major "what the hell did I do" moment and even vocalized it to my family. But the pump was a tremendous help. My pain was managed from then on.

I never met my Water goal during the first 3 weeks. Never. I would get in 40 on a good day. I still struggle at 5 weeks but am doing much better, hitting it more days then not. It often depends on what my work day is like.

I had a terrible taste in my mouth constantly and a coated tongue during the first 3 weeks. I would wake up with my mouth and throat completely dry in the middle of the night. I believe I was going through some level of dehydration that entire time but I made it.

You'll do great! Please update us!

1. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the pain you experienced upon waking up for the first time after surgery & also the couple days after? after waking up after surgery a 1, a couple days after maybe a 2

2. What kind of pain was it and where on your body did you experience it? It was just general soreness, like i did too many situps.

3. How did you manage to get all of the Water you needed in during the days after surgery? Initially, you just drink what you can. Popsicles are your friend :)

Answers to those questions will be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you. :) xoxoxo

thanks Alexandra I will check on you to see how your doing.... Changetome where are you having your surgery? are you on this horrid diet as well?