Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ August Chat

I've been in the same boat the last couple of weeks waiting to get a much needed fill (my doc was out of the country). I found it much easier going when I ate extra vegetable with my meals. I also often added a small salad to my meals and kept left over salad and veggies in the refrigerator to add to between meal Snacks. It really helped with the hunger a lot and I kept losing weight!

You can do this!

3Loves -- my surgeon went to a Trauma Conference and cancelled all her appointments for the week. I asked if the her partner could do the fill and was told no, he didn't do that any more. (sounds like they are having a feud over how much time she spends in clinic compared to him....and no, they aren't married! LOL!!) So her next clinic date was the 12th and I'm working dayshift that day and it's a four hour drive and I hate to take more time off work, then the next date is the 21st. A day off for me, so that's when I scheduled.

Linda -- that's what I think I will do. I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow and stock up for nightshifts. I was thinking about getting extra veggies and big bottles of Water. Maybe if I snack on some veggies I won't be so hungry when meal time comes around.

I know I will be ok, it's just frustrating. I was looking forward to this fill and getting "back in control". I just need to knuckle down and quit being a big baby.

I got my first fill!!! YEAH!!! :clap2: I feel like I'm going from a stationary bike to a Harley-Davidson. It was so neat watching my fill on the screen. I was WIDE open and it took 2.5 cc's to get me to perfect restriction. I feel it now. I'm hoping it stays like this b/c if it does get tighter like I've heard others say, I may get too tight. My surgeon said this is the most he has ever given on the first fill.

I took my son and he was absolutely wonderful. The nurse and doc were both a little concerned that the procedure would upset him. I assured them it wouldn't and he would do as he's told. I told him to stand against this wall way behind the area we were working and he didn't move. Bless his little heart, he's only 4 yrs old. I took him to the gift shop and we bought an airplane with those foam propellers and lights. After I purchased it, he wanted to get one for his brother. How sweet is that?

All in all, it has been a wonderful weekend and I've been sipping slowly. My scales are moving for the first time in weeks. I want to get out and walk today. Can't wait to weigh in on Thurs for the Sept Challenge. Boy, that's coming up fast.

Restriction is good thing. :clap2:

Hey Everyone! I'm back from the beach! Just in time as I'm afraid Tropical Storm/Hurricane Ernesto is moving into the area. I hope he falls apart!

The best thing I can say is that I didn't gain any weight on vacation! We had a really good time and I ate some food that I shouldn't have, but it was worth it! I did manage to exercise at the gym at our condo a couple of days... so I'm pretty happy with no losing any weight. I go for my very first fill tomorrow, and I gotta say I'm nervous! I am however, ready to see those scales moving in the right direction again! I've got a lot of weight to lose if I'm gonna weigh less than my brothers by Christmas! (40 lbs!) Vacation is over and its time to get serious!

3loves - Congrats on the fill, glad it went so well! How long does your liquid/limited diet last? We'll be able to compare notes again after tomorrow!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks! Every single pound is a miracle, isn't it? Sorry you didn't get any sleep. Kids and colds aren't fun especially since you feel so badly that they don't feel well.

Yes, Janey. We will take count EVERY pound. Did you know that 4 sticks of butter = 1 lb? I try to use that visual when it's a quarter of a pound to a pound. Helps me feel like I'm really doing something.

Way to go Kim!! You stayed the same and that is awesome. :clap2: And you worked out to boot? On vacation? Your more woman than I am. :biggrin1: Glad your back home and away from Ernesto. I love watching the weather channel. There's a thread about Ernesto that is interesting to say the least.

Gosh, I am wondering when I'm going to get off this cloud since I've had my fill. I feel so empowered. I hate to say b/c I don't want to jinx myself, I've lost 6 lbs since Fri. We'll see what the scales say on Thurs. liquid in = liquid out. It may level off and change when I go back to real food.

My doc said 2 days Clear liquids, 2 days full liquids, then on regular food. I have to admit though I had my Protein shakes with milk on Sat....even had a banana in it. :hungry: I was so hungry. One thing for you to know Kim, I wished I had eaten a regular meal before my fill. I was thinking I should keep my stomach sort of empty b/c of the swelling so I only had a cup of coffee, Water, and some crackers. I was about to pounce on the dog food. STARVED!!!

Can't wait for you to get filled. Are you having the fluoro? It's a piece of cake. Feels like a mosquito bite.

3loves I'm in the same boat. scale hasn't moved down in six weeks. Bonus is that it's not going up. Going for fill #2 tomorrow. I have known for a while I needed but doc wanted to see me at the end of this month before having it.

Not looking forward to the liquids but oh well. Just have to grin and bear it.:heh:

M

Myra ~ Hope this is the one where you find your sweet spot. How much do you have now? Liquids = yuck. I'm ready for real food. Let us know how it goes for you and take care.

3loves: Yep, under flouro.. I can eat until 9:00 AM this morning, then Clear Liquids until 1:00 PM, nothing after 1:00 PM, and my fill is at 3:00 PM. I'll be on clear liquids 2-3 days, full liquids 2-3 days, soft foods 2-3 days, then on to normal foods.... I'm kinda scared, but look forward to loosing more weight!

Good luck on your fill Myra! Hope you get good restriction!

Happy Tuesday!

Whew! It's been an interesting few weeks around LBT! Our little thread here is just like home though! I am going for my third fill this afternoon. I'm hoping there is still some saline from the last fill in my band.... I don't want to deal with a leak! Keep your fingers crossed for me! Good news though.... I lost what I gained back last week so I currently weigh the same as 2 weeks ago (follow that?)

Sounds like you are all doing great. Congrats on the fill and the loss 3Loves!!

Peace.

Well I had no saline put in during surgery.

First fill - July 6th was four cc. I am sure at least a cc was used for priming the tubing.

Second fill today we will see how much is actually in it. I personally think my band is drinking saline on the sly.

Went to supper last night with the DH & DD and ate

4 thin piece of catfish, 1 baked potatoe, 5 small hushpuppies, about 1/2 cup peach cobbler, drank a glass of coke and it was the real thing baby.

Burped like a sailor and it was GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

So am able to eat way too much. Usually don't but this was a special occassion and I knew everything would change today so I just did it.

Myra

Well, we were all banded in the same month and most of us active May Bandsters all seem to be needing and getting fills at the same time.

I got my 3rd fill last Wednesday. I really count it as my second because my first one did not get me to restriction. Anyway, my doctor gave me another .5 cc which I thought was a pretty significant amount. And it turns out--IT WAS!

I am definately more restricted than I have been in the past and I am not sure I like it. I try to get in between 1400-1600 calories a day and 90 g of Protein and it has definately been challenging. Yesterday was the first day I did it w/o drinking a Protein Shake (220 cal)

I had enough restriction before so that I couldn't over eat. But I could eat just about anything and didn't have to take really small bites. I am not enjoying having to eat like a real banded person very much. Hopefully my restriction will lesson in a couple of weeks.

I'm really thrilled to hear about all the great successes you guys are having with your new restriction. I can't believe some of you have made it this long w/o a fill--THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!!

3Loves - your excitement is contagious! It's always nice to read posts from people who are experiencing SUCCESS and who are really excited about it! It helps motivate me!

Finally, finally.....I think the scale is moving! FINALLY! It's not official till Thursday, though. So I will wait and see what my total loss is. Since I didn't get my fill today like originally planned, I upped my protien and Water over the weekend while I was on nights and I think that is what finally broke the plateau. And I wasn't hungry......very busy, but not hungry.

I started to think about the lowest weight I've been at and that's where I'm at right now. Somewhere in the mid 220's. I hit a plateau back a few years ago at this weight and again these last three weeks.......at about the exact same weight. I wonder if my body just likes it here? Maybe now that it seems to have broke, I wonder if I will lose it as quickly as I did the month before. Hmmmmm......it's interesting to ponder........:rolleyes :D

And I am officially in training for my Thanksgiving Half Marathon in Atlanta. My oldest daughter is "encouraging" me. She isn't going to let me out of this one. The slave driver............:D She has reminded me I only have 12 weeks to get in shape.

Good job everyone! You know, we are all going to have to post pictures come Sept. 13th. I think everyone has lost at least 10 lbs since we started the Challenge, I'm sure the pictures will definitely show it. So start thinking about it! I would love to see "before and after" pictures of everyone. :clap2:

Well I had fill #2 today and my port is in the process of flipping. For my first fill it was level but today it was clearly standing on edge. They were able to manipulate it and get 2cc in but I won't be at all surprised when I go for my next fill if it is flipped on over. I never had any pain like a stitch pulling out. Never bumped it or anything. Oh well if this is the worst that happens I am doing okay.