Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Day Of Protein Shakes And I Am Starving! Any Advise?

I had to do a five day Protein liquid diet only at the start of my three month wait for the date part of my WLS journey. I kept very busy and put my "hunger thoughts" to "skinny thoughts" you can do this. Good luck.

Wow, I have a 2 week pre op liquid diet :blush2:

Being on this site all day at work does help a bit lol, I also try and drink a lot of Water so I can stay more "full" Also you could try different flavors of crystal light

I just got my Surgery date on March 27th. This is my first post and I'm excited scared but ready. I'm worried about this pre op diet. I have 5 days. I'm not sure what I can have and what's best? I'm scared I can't just do liquids. Anyone got any ideas what I should get at store?

Hello All,

I have surgery scheduled for next Monday, February 20, 2012.

I am so excited!

Today is my first day of liquid Protein shakes.

I am starving!!!

What did you do to help?

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

My surgery is Feb 20th also....I was extremely hungry the first 3 days, but now I'm ok. I started my pre op diet a week ago, and I did cheat a little bit at first. I start liquids only on Friday, not sure how well I'm gonna do with that.

SF Jello is your friend - it takes up space in the stomach and does help.

Its better to hit to alternate a bottle of Water and Protein shake every hour on the hour. If you dont stay on schedule your appetites going to run wild on day 3. I broke on 3 occasions but I started 2 weeks early because I knew me.

Today all I had was cream of Soup 18 carbs 140cal ,dasani lemon Water, crystal lite lemonade 20 cal and homemade Tomato bisque 9 carbs 160 cal. Not a good day. Hardly any calories and real low low carbs. But 2 weeks ago I would have threw that in the trash and fixed myself a big old sandwich or something with bread. I am just glad I was able to break away from my friends.

As I write this comment I am still full and my last meal was at 6:30pm. This should show you its possible. But as far as Clear Liquids. Hahaha I WILL FIND OUT starting in the morning.

Just have faith. If your at home and your hungry. Just leave. It help curb the urge

(null)

Good luck! I'm so excited for you!!!!

Just fyi. I been sitting here for hours watching anthony bourdain and andrew zimmerman on the travel channel for hours reminiscing. I love those damn guys

(null)

Thank you, thank you all for your kind advices and words of encouragement. I will definitely be getting the sugar free Jello and alternating between Water and shakes. This morning I could not stand it and had a little oatmeal. But I am back on track with the shakes and plenty of water.

It gets better. I'm on a 14-day pre-op Protein Shake diet and I'm about a week into it. I've been trying to practice some things that I'll need to start doing after the surgery such as not drinking about 15-30 minutes prior to "eating" and not drinking again until at least 30 minutes later or so. I'm allowed 5-6 Protein Shakes per day and if I choose to, I can make them with skim milk or Water. If I'm still hungry later on, I can have a lean Protein and low carb vegetable.

I've been trying to space out my meals as best as possible. I'm probably averaging between 2-2.5 hours between my allotted meals. Try not to let yourself go too long in between. My husband and I were out for a bit on Sunday and I went a bit too long between shakes. It was probably low blood sugar that had me so horribly cranky. It had been maybe 3-4 hours or so since my only shake of the day.