Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded

Guest SHANEAL

Hi, I have just been banded on May 12. I am eating like a horse...Is this normal? I have hardly any restriction and I feel really good except for the gas in my chest. Is this normal too? Most of my questions have been answered by just reading other people's comments but I haven't heard anyone really say anything about the gas pains.

Hi Shaneal!

If you were banded on May 12 you should NOT be eating like a horse. Unless that horse is limited to mashed hay and oatmeal, that is. What do you mean, exactly? Aren't you still on a liquid/soft regimen at this point?

The gas pains vary a lot from person to person, and the weird thing is they don't feel at all like "gas" as we are familiar with it. I felt it as sharp pains from place to place in my torso, which went away after a couple of days. Then I'd be surprised two weeks later with a new one, seemingly out of nowhere.

Anyway, let us know what you're really eating. What you think is a lot may not be, or you might in fact be doing something unwise. You don't want to hurt yourself or do anything to lessen your chances for success!

the gas pains are the worst but they will go away soon but I am with Alex you should not be able to eat so much I would call the Dr. for me the 4th week was when I noticed my appitite increase.Ginny

299/283/130

Guest SHANEAL

Well, This makes me a little concerned. I have been eating things like chicken noodle Soup (noodles and chunks of chicken), chicken breast, grilled pork chop, grilled hot dog with a bun, pc of banana bread, tons of pudding and Jello, lots of frozen popsicles, and I'm not having any problems with getting it down at all. I even at some cheese pizza one day with no problem. I go next week for my first fill and check up. Will things change?

I think the main thing is to eat slow and chew things really good I guess I started getting my appitite about the same time everyone told me not to worry that after my first fill things would change I will let you know on Monday, I had a crazy dream last night about getting my fill it was bizarre. Ginny

299/283/130

WOW!

I was not able to eat any of those things exccept Jello, popsicles until week 5 post op. Even now that I'm on those foods I have a hard time. I still feel alot of restriction just from my band placement.I'm scared to death to eat bread or pizza or rice. I have yet to have a fill and I'm almost 7 weeks post op. My doctor does first fills 6 weeks post op and beyond. As far as my gas pains, they lasted for me 3 weeks post op. Every day was a little less painful though. Gas X did nothing for me. Walking did nothing for me, I just had to let it runs its course.

Well, good luck to you. I hope your fill helps you!!

Michelle

4/6/04/

265/242/160ish

Dr Ortiz

Shaneal -

WHO is your doc, and didn't they give you a post-op diet?

Even the Inamed handbook has patients on liquids ONLY for a couple of weeks after surgery, then mushies, and then real food.

The restriction on diet isn't because you might be unable to tolerate solid food - it is to keep your stomach as still as possible while it is healing. You want those sutures well healed and the band well-seated before you start eating real food.< /p>

Just like a knee with a cut in it - if you keep flexing the knee, and breaking open the cut, it will take longer and longer for the cut to heal. Same with your stomach.

A band that is not well seated is more likely to slip farther down the road.