Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Do For Energy?

I try hard not to complain but lately I'm so exhuasted. I'm sure the reduced caloric intake plays a part- but the fact is I'm just down right busy in my life as a college student, sister, daughter, aunt, office manager and I may have started *dating* again!! Light dating... But that's for another post..

My question is- now that Red Bull and Monster Energy and even coffee is out of the question- what do you guys do when you need a little extra boost? I take my Vitamins including B12... I get in a decent amount of calories from food even... But it's not enough..

HELP!?!?!??!?!?!?

I am in the same boat that you are, so I'm replying to this to subscribe to the thread. I am 8 weeks out and so tired all the time...

Same here and wondering what the heck I need to do. My typical day starts at 6:30 am, get the kids off to school, work all day, go to the gym during lunch, help with dinner when I get home and usually take 1 or 2 kids to practice/games. Come back home and I'm soooo ready for bed by 9 pm, when I used to be able to stay up till 11 pm or so and not be so sleepy all day long. I know I'm supposed to limit my caffeine, but the last week or two Ive been so sleepy and tired during the day that sometime I grab a low cal, non-carbonated Rock Star energy drink to help me through the day. But still, by 8:30 or 9 pm, I'm nearly in a coma. My blood work came back normal and I'm taking all of the Vitamins and supplements that I'm supposed to. Just have no idea how to get any energy. I had more when I weighed around 300+ pounds. I know what you mean about the lack of energy and I sure wish I had some answers. I'd like to see what others say as well.

I seem to get energy from some sort of moving and exercising. Seems to energize me right up.

I had the same issue. I spoke to my NUT and she told me to increase my carbs. I added cooked veggies and basically stopped worrying about my carb intake.

It TOTALLY worked for me. About 2 days later I felt like I was *back*.

We had 85% of our stomach removed. We will lose weight. Add some carbs back and see how your energy levels change.

Can't hurt to try.

I agree with Julie and PDXman. I had a lot of issues with very bad fatigue for the first four months post op and it was just terrible.

It wasn't until I started getting out and walking more and becoming more physically active (calorie burning cardio) that I started to "wake up" because that's how it felt to me. Like I was in a fog all the time.

I'm not sure a Rockstar drink is the best choice, but some type of complex carbohydrates completing your meal would also be very helpful. I would usually do a few days of low carbs, but I'd ALWAYS get right back on them because my body does need them to function properly. They provide power, energy and Fiber... my body loves it!!!

Good luck to all! Like PDX mentioned, you WILL lose the weight. This isn't a race to lose the fastest, it's a marathon and the end prize is your health and wellness. :)

Good points! PDX..... I have been low carbing a bit since I hit a stall. Maybe add in some slow digesting carbs like brocolli or oatmeal? I was fairly desperate to stay awake and not a coffee drinker, so had 2 of those energy drinks so the caffeine would wake me up some. It helped only temporarily. Hopefully some more carbs will do the trick.

I am not a coffee drinker and needless to say, I don't drink sodas, so my caffeine intake is near zero. Dragging @ss was my operatus modi for a few weeks post surgery. I upped my carbs and for me, it was like a veil lifted. I had energy, I could think clearer and was motivated in so many ways. That is when I started exercising more and one thing led to another and ... well, look at my stats and check out my blog.

Like Diva says, carbs and exercise are great for getting energy. But they go hand in hand. The more carbs you increase by, the more you should be moving. The more you are moving, the more carbs you need.