Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need a fill?

So I had my first fill about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I initially lost 10 lbs quite quickly and then a couple more, all inside of about 2 and a bit weeks. When I wake up I always have 1 cup of coffee, then right up to about 2 or 3 in the afternoon I'm not really comfortable with much (I feel quite a bit of restriction) I usually opt for yogurt and berries or Cereal, something that goes down easy. But by about 4-5 I start to get really hungry. I can eat a full plate of food( alot more than a cup). But way less than before I was banded. But I seem to be hungry right up to bedtime and can eat just about anything. So does anyone know whether I need a fill or not? Why am I SO restricted for half the day and NOT the other? If I call my surgeon, they'll just see that I'm down in weight and may not give me one, even though it happened within the first couple of weeks, any suggestions out there would be of great help!! Thank - you:)

You probably could use a fill, I think. 10lbs in 2-ish weeks? I hate you. :hug: LOL How much have you lost most recently? If you're losing, but still hungry a lot, I'd think if you got a little bit of a fill... you'd lose more, and be less hungry.. right? But then... maybe you won't be able to handle ANYthing early in the day, and then just a bit at night. It seems that lots of people are tight in the morning. But they say that drinking some hot coffee (or hot whatever) 'opens 'em up' enough to eat some brekkie.

It's so hard to guess... isn't it? Why don't you call 'em anyways, and tell them your dilema, and see what they say?

Hiya Cloe...

Maybe you are hungry later in the day/night because you aren't eating much throughout the earlier part of the day? My doc told me that THE most important thing was to eat "regular" food (ie. not soft food only) and to eat 3 meals a day (at regular hrs) (+ Snacks of course). He said "even if you aren't hungry, eat you meal when you are supposed to"....he explained that otherwise, you get too hungry later in the day and you will eat too much. This seems to be like what he was describing...what is happening to you, I mean.

So give that a whirl!

Ya after a couple of hours, usually around 10 I will eat yogurt or cereal(soft). But I'm wondering if I'm subconciously(?) eating more softer foods to avoid the hassle of golfballing. But I am definately tighter. So today I ate an egg salad sandwich on really soft fresh bread at around 10:30, but around 1:30 I was hungry again. What do you guys eat during the day?

The last bit of weight I loss Mandi was when I went from 300 to 297, I think that was about a week and a half or so ago. Since then nothing, but I've been hungrier. The problem is I go from one extreme to another, morning to night. I dunno. Start my challenge tommorow, I hope that will kick start things. I also think I should call Dr. Cobourns office. But they just don't do fills whenever you want, they kinda want you to go a bit. Did you notice that Mandi? or anyone else that has Dr. Cobourn?

Oh, I thought of something else.... If I call the office , the first thing they'll ask me is if I lost weight, and I have, about 8-10 pounds, and they'll say whats wrong with that, And I'll say nothing but.....blah, blah, blah

And yes Yoda, I think what you say makes sense, thats why I would like to know what you guys eat during the daytime, Please?

Cloe....

Generally I have a Protein shake in the morning (sometimes I blend in a 1/2 of a bananna). I should probably eat "real food" but this is quicker for me as I get ready for work. This is normally around 7:15 am. If it is a wknd, I usually have a "real" Breakfast. For example, today (off work today) I had 2 pancakes that hubby made for me. Other times he might make me an omelette or another egg type Breakfast.< /p>

When at work I don't generally have a morning snack (I do if I'm home). At lunch (at work) I'll have something like a "lunchable" (the one with crackers/cheese/turkey) or Beans (ie. canned beans...I love 'em). If at home (ie. wknd) I'll have something else like maybe a wrap or a quesadilla (sp?) with grilled chicken. An afternoon snack may consist of yogurt or pudding.

Supper is completely varied, so I can't really give you a synopsis there.

And...yes...I do have chips sometimes...But this is my last time ...no chips for me for August due to my personal Candadian goal challenge!.

OH...I also forgot to say....I also have oatmeal at work sometimes for lunch. (I bring the packages...and I always have some milk in my fridge at work to mix with it).

that dosent seem like much food to me, or compared to me. Let's see, today I had a coffee at 8:00, egg salad sandwich at 10:00, egg salad on a tortilla wrap (but only ate half, I was sick of it) at 1:30,and for dinner tonight at 6:00 I had 2 corn on a cob, 1/2 a piece of chick parm, and 1/2 a tortilla wrap with a few peices of chicken breast wrapped in it. I'm satisfied right now but I bet I'll want to eat more around 8:00, we'll see. Last night for dinner I ate 3 chicken fingers, 1 scoop of corn and 1 scoop of Pasta salad. These dinners just seem to be alot of food for someone who is banded, don't they? However they pale in comparison to what I would have ate a couple months ago:faint: . I'm not really sure what to do. Maybe I should just give it another week and see, dunno.

Really....I think you are doing okay, Cloe. You are eating sensibly and healthy. Don't forget (as my post op nurses remind me) ...the "1 cup" of food is "after it is chewed"...so visualize a "chewed up to mush" cup of food....that is actually a LOT! For instance...your supper...if you chewed that all up to mush and spit it the entire contents into a cup....that prob is not more than a cup. (not that you would do this of course.....just visualize!!! LOL).

Plus...you ARE still losing....so I actually wouldn't fret about it ....seriously, I think things are good. PLUS, it is better if you can eat some of that stuff (ie. bread, corn) and not have any bad side effects.

If you get hungry in the evening (ie. around 8:00) just have a pear/apple (or half of it) cut up into pieces (I do that sometimes)....or a yogurt with some granola on it.....that will fill ya up and satisfy ya.

All that to say....really you are doing GRRRRREAT!

Maybe its just me but I'd suspect that another fill would make not being able to eat in the earlier part of the day even worse and not do much for the night time eating. I'm the opposite, can eat too much in the daytime and am much more restricted at night. I'm afraid of more fills because I think its only going to make this more extreme and I'll just end up not eating at night, which is stupid - I eat my healthiest meal at night and have no wish to change my meals around because it doesnt suit my lifestyle.

Sigh. I'm not sure what I'd do if I were you, I do tend to think that the band has its limitations for some people when it causes illogical restriction at various times of the day.

I guess though the beauty of it is that you can try a fill and have some out if it doesnt work.