Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Details From My First Week Post-Op

I have read so much that has helped me and I wanted to share my experience in case anyone else finds things in it that can help them.

Day of Surgery

Good experience in the hospital. They are a “center of excellence” and really know what they’re doing. I made use of my pain pump through the night but, by morning, was pretty much off it. I wanted to be alert for all that was going on around me and what people were telling me. According to my surgeon, all went well. The only red flag of any kind was an upper GI/leak test that the doc said was “delayed” – meaning I swallowed that god awful stuff and it sat at the top of my sleeve and took several minutes to trickle on through. Even though, I guess I passed.

Post Op

Day 1 – car ride home...every bump killed. I hate potholes! Got home to find I it was difficult to get comfortable in any chair we have in this house. Forget the bed – no way to get in or out. Rethinking my decision to leave the hospital so soon…maybe should have stayed the extra day. I’m freaking out a little about blood clots, pneumonia, and dehydration. It sucks to feel fear in the midst of feeling so dang crappy. My abdomen burns. Incision pain and weird internal pain… Gave myself my first (of 10) Lovenox shot. This is something I was a little queasy about but it turns out it’s no problem at all. Don’t worry guys – this is easy compared to some of the other hurdles to face.

Day 2 – aren’t I supposed to be able to sip? All I can do is splash enough liquid in my mouth and swallow like it’s spit. Any more than that (even the tiniest of sips) HURTS! Waves of pain and nausea. The nausea med my doc gave me helps. But it’s “minty” and dissolves under the tongue. So gross! I can’t tell if I hurt inside (digesting) or outside (incisions) – probably both. I’m a little panicked. My left shoulder is beginning to really hurt – I suspect it’s gas. This is an emotional day. It’s hard to sound upbeat on the phone with concerned family members and not let on that I’m slightly freakin’ out.

Day 3 - I think things are getting better. I was able to drink 6 oz. of apple juice (over the course of an hour). That’s the most I’ve had to drink since surgery. I think I’m figuring out what I can and can’t drink. liquid Tylenol=too thick, I think. Apple juice=nice! Just tried warm chicken broth and that was nice, too! Put some red G2 in the a cup in the freezer – great suggestion by someone out there, I forget who. Left shoulder is better today.

Day 4 – keep on course… it’s getting better. My left side is out of “anguish” and into mere “achy.” I’m feeling much better physically. I find that if I stay pretty regular on anti-nausea and main meds, I can keep this thing under control. The best part of the day was a popsicle for dinner. Aaahhh – yum! I was significantly more upbeat and found myself tidying up the kitchen table, folding blankets, and stuff. My family says I look waaaaaaaay better.

Day 5 – much better day! I woke up with dry, dry mouth and nausea and it occurred to me that I might be getting dehydrated. I started the day determined to up my liquids and sipped on a 16 bottle of Water. Before too long (about an hour), it was gone! I had 8 oz. of apple juice, 6 oz. of chicken broth, and 16 more oz. of Water. I am able to do this! The more liquids I can take in, the better. The sips are nearing drinks (certainly nowhere near a gulp!) and I feel like my body is getting what it needs. I’m able to swallow my small meds (pre-surgery) OK. I was worried about being able to take them, but it’s working out. Got up in the night with a little reflux (generic CVS acid reducer tablets work great!) and – TMI warning – diarrhea! Oh joy. Glad to know there’s something in there to move out, but oy – clean up was interesting considering I can’t really twist/lean in the mid section.

Day 6 – Woke up feeling rested and positive about the day. My panic/anxiety is all gone and I’m feeling great. Had warm diluted apple juice for Breakfast. Feeling like the swallowing thing is all good at this point. My big problem now is abdomen pain. Incision areas burn when I bend/twist/reach down. Getting out of bed is the worst. I’m still taking pain meds because of this, though I’d like to wean off all pain med if I could. I can’t imagine exercising in the near future…walking is all I can handle (and not a heck a lot of it at one time).

Day 7 – Very sore…wait a minute, could this be gas pain? I’m worried about pulled muscles or abscesses but maybe these are pockets of gas trapped internally? Anyone have any experience with this? First official weigh-in = down 5 pounds!

Well, I’ve made it through the first week. In some ways it seems like only as long as a day, but in others, as long as a whole month. So may emotions and changes. I feel like I'm through the roughest part.

Welcome to the losers bench! I think it's safe to say that you ARE through the roughest part - good luck! :cheer2:

Sounds right on track to me. Its a tough road in the beginning but keep on it!! Congrats on getting through the first week!

SO because you brought up the diarrhea and pointed out how hard clean up was, I am going to let people know about this fantastic product we have used in our home for years. We will NEVER be without it... the "bidanit". It is a "bidet" that you attach to your toilet. Just google it and the website will come up. Best $29.95 i ever spent. :) I pray your next week is even better then your first week and thank you SOO much for sharing.