Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession

I started this in the Post-op forum, but realize it migh be better over here.

I don't know how I did this. For the first two weeks I was on Clear liquids and stuck to it except for a couple times when I had some mashed potatoes or a blended Soup. I'm supposed to be on full liquids until the 8th and then mushies.

I just felt so good I started eating solids, albeit very healthy ones. I have lost 30 pounds all together (18 post-op) and hit a stall at 3 weeks that seems to have broken today after I went down a pound.

THE QUESTION: Should I go a step back and go back totally on full liquids? It doesn't seem like cream Soups are all that healthy, but I still do cottage cheese and yogurt every day. Cucumber gave me pause, but broccoli, carrots, squash and Beans are fine. In fact, there is nothing I can't seem to eat so far. eggs, cheese, chicken, pork, beef, fish - all fine. I didn't do this flippantly, It just seemed to feel normal. I go between 550-650 calories a day. Here is a day's menu:

Total

591 Cals.

22.7 Fat (g)

28.9 Carbs (g)

69.3 Protein (g)

Milk, 2% fat 6 oz

MaxProteinVanilla 1 serving

Tuna, fresh raw 3 oz

Somersaults Pacific Sea Salt 1/2 serving

(Low carb, high Protein cracker things)

Cheese, cottage, lowfat, 2% 1/4 cup

Cucumber 5 slices Cheese,Blue 1/8 cup

Cheese,Ricotta 1/8 cup Salami,dry 1 slice

P.S. The Salami and riccota cheese is an Eggface recipe in which you take a slice of salami, put it into a mini muffin pan and fill it with ricotta cheese seasoned with spices and topped with a tiny bit of mozzerella cheese. They are savory little protein cupcakes that are to die for. I made mine smaller and cut the egg yolk.

The greek yogurt and gorganzolla or blue cheese is another Eggface recipe. It makes a great dip. Everything she makes is geared with protein in mind. If you dip your meats or veggies, you may as well do it high protein instead of using commercial dressings or sauces.

I took cream Soups to be creamed soups ... as in pureed. Not necessarily containing cream.

I pureed chili, chicken veggie and lentil/ham/veggie.

Yum

I don't think you should necessarily go backwards. Do what you can handle without pushing yourself. This is not a race.

Full liquid according to my surgeon is cottage cheese, milk, yogurt and cream Soups as in cream of broccoli, cream of chicken, etc with any chunks taken out.

What you described is mushy/puree stage which is supposed to be the next one for me which lasts another 2 weeks.

I'm not in a race or comparing myself. I just don't want to sabatogue any weight loss or injure myself without realizing it.

Ahhh ...

My liquids was broths and Protein shakes. I don't think they wanted me on dairy for fear of possible lactose intolerance issues, which didn't occur for me, but I know can for many others.

From there I went to the pureed Soups after about 3 weeks and did the purees for 3 weeks. I was so frightened to move off of purees, though. I didn't want to push myself. But, I just did what I felt my body could do.

I think that is what is important. Try to be in tune with the feedback your body is giving you. It is hard, for sure at this stage as it is so difficult to know when you are full. I took measured amounts, about 2oz and then evaluated how it felt. If it wasn't good, I didn't go back to it.

If other things are sounding good to you, I believe that is your body telling you it is ready. Just take it easy and listen to your body.

Yes, just about everything I eat is in 2 oz increments. Right now my stomach is complaining about the Calcium chew I just ate. Not pain, but noise-making.

I can feel what full is like. I only had one instance of trouble when I ate ground beef WAY too fast (pain, nausea and revedrse direction). I won't eat to fast again. That and cucumbers are no-gos for now.

Sorry ... if you are eating mushies, then how is your ground beef prepared? Your stomach is the mechanical part of digestion and beef is VERY difficult to digest. I was told 3 months before cow meat. pureed chicken, tuna, fish ... fine, but not beef. But I do know that every NUT/surgeon is going to tell you different, so definately follow their plans, but beef ... wow. You will definately feel restriction with that, too. Be careful with liquid with beef, too.

That's just the thing. I pulled forward and am eating regular, but very healthy foods. I managed steak chewed to death as I do everything just fine. It was the eating too fast and not chewing as I should that got me. I eat very slow and chew beyond thoroughly.

Once on solids, my surgeon does not have any restrictions except for soda, coffee, popcorn and coconut. He says to fill the sleeve with Protein first then little bits of veggies if room.

All that said, even though I seem to be fine with it, I'm going to take one step back and do mushies and according to the plan canned chicken, canned tuna and pureed chunky Soups are allowed. I made some broccoli cheese that is very good so I may as well eat that. I also made a lowfat crab bisque. That doesn't sound too much like suffering. A few weeks of this won't kill me and may be better in the long run. Plus I can still have my beloved cottage cheese and yes, the Protein shakes.

I just have to wait until after this weekend as I will be spelunking about in some old California mines. It's hard to pocket pureed food and milk in the desert is just weird.

I thank God every day that I'm not lactose intolerant. I love cheese - cottage, soft, semi hard, hard aged and smelly ... LOL!

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. Mashed potatoes is on the mushies list, but I won't eat anything so carb laden as a whole 2 oz meal.

OMG I made the salami, ricotta, and mozzarella bites today and yum. I chewed until it was practically Water but yuuuum.

OMG I made the salami, ricotta, and mozzarella bites today and yum. I chewed until it was practically Water but yuuuum.

Aren't those to die for? Who said sleeve eating had to be boring.

Aren't those to die for? Who said sleeve eating had to be boring.

Sounds so yummy!!! Can I pleaseeeee have the recipe and directions??? I am a horrible cook but gotta try this!!!!

This recipe is from www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Ricotta Bake Cups

1/2 cup Ricotta cheese

1 Tablespoon Parmesan, grated

1 Egg Yolk

1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasonings (Oregano, Basil, Garlic Blend)

a few twists of Black Pepper

Mozzarella Cheese, shredded

Large Pepperoni Slices (from deli department, not prepackaged)

Mix all ingredients together (except mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices) till well blended.

Place a pepperoni slice in each hole of a mini muffin tin. Spoon a tablespoon of ricotta mixture into each pepperoni "cup" sprinkle top with a pinch of mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and remove from tin. Reheat in toaster oven or broiler.

Yummy,thank you!!