Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!

I am a little over 4 months out from surgery and doing well, 70 pounds down, except for the problem of hair loss. It's crazy in my bathroom right now with all the hair everywhere!

I am kind of depressed about this issue. I used to have the thickest hair, and it keeps getting thinner and thinner by the day.

Does anyone have any advice/tips regarding this issue? Anyway to decrese it? Any specific vitmains, supplements or food I should eat to decrease Hair loss?

Anything would help at this point!

Thanks so much,

-Lily

I am in the same boat. :boxing_smiley:

It makes me so sad too cause my hair has always been my security blanket!!

You can try Biotin- it a B Vitamin, I also use Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner.

My doc says that the Hair loss is from the shock of the surgery and the 1st month of starvation after surgery and theres not a lot you can do to prevent it. You can keep up on your protien and Multivitamins too.

Good luck and I hope our hair loss slows down soon!!!

By all accounts, it does grow back. Do NOT slack on your Protein. My doc says the protein is important in managing the Hair loss issue.

For me....I started to lose it at 3 months out in clumps...like I was having radiation. By 4.5 months I was really freaking out so I got my hair cut short so it seemed like less...It continued to fall out at a steady pace until 8 months. Everyone is different but I have found that even now if I dont get enough Protein for more than 2 days in a row my hair falls out. So most important for me is protein but I also take a supplement from GNC called B-beautiful. I buy them when they are on sale buy one get one free. I have noticed a difference in my hair regrowth since but it took about 3-4 weeks to make a difference. It also makes my nails grow like crazy and is great for my skin:) My hair stylist says she can see the regrowth coming but it is way slower than pre op...but I decided (after freaking out for a while about it)...I would be ok wearing a wig and being healthy and not obese!

Thanks guys so far for the advice!

I have recently heard the Biotin Vitamins. My mom picked some up for me the other day. The hardest part for me is getting my protien in.

I go to college and have classes all day and to be straight up, they dont have many food options on campus. I could bring food, but I dont have much at home either. The protien is a HUGE issue for me. I maybe get 30 grams in if i'm lucky, not to mention only about 500-600 calories if that, a day.

Not good, I know. I hope this gets better.

sadley I too am losing my hair...when I was at my "fighting" weight :biggrin: I use to comment that at least all the skinny people are bald...dooooooooooooh!!

oh well, I would gladley exchange hair for weight loss!!!

surgery date oct 12, 2012

weight.png