Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medic Alert Bracelets - Are they recommended?

Hi again.....

I just searched the whole site and found some great input on this subject and the general feeling is that we definitely should wear one after surgery. If anyone is interested, I'll give you the links to a few places on line where you can get some cute ones.

However, I'm still confused as to exactly what the Bracelet should say. Any input would be appreciated.

mine says

adjust gastric band with abdominal port

no NG without scope

my allergy info

emergency phone number

some people also have their doctors number listed. I had an id tag made and Penni60 made me a beautiful Bracelet to put it on. I also had a dog tag style key chain made, same information. ~Mandy

I simply told Penni what I wanted and she made it for me. I had my hubby, my daughter and my birthstone on mine. Turns out really pretty. I think it is http://www.pemerridesigns.com/ ~Mandy

I have a question about those cute medic bracelets. I know that we like pretty ones, but would an EMT or emergency room recognize what they are? I wonder if more *utilitarian* ones would be more recognizable. Any opinions?

I actually asked my brother in law about this, and he said that something that looks like jewelry will NOT get looked at. He is an EMT and a Doctor, and has been for the last 20 years. He said that it needs to have at least the shape of the original medic alert bracelets, if not the ones with the red cross on it. Anything else does not catch the eye in time of an emergency. He also said it should have your name on it, an emrgency phone or your doctor's phone number, and that you have Adjustable Gastric Band.

I plan on getting a silver medic alert Bracelet, without the red cross though. Instead it is an embossed cross. Still recognizable, and it will just look like I am wearing a bracelet.

I have a regular silver one that I wear everyday. And I have a fancy one for nights out and formal stuff. Both have a plain silver tag with the cross in red on them. ~Mandy

Mine is a gold Bracelet with the medic tag as a charm. It's pretty noticeable. It reads...Adj. Gastric Band, careful NG placement. See wallet card. and has my doctors name and phone number. I also carry an emergency medical card in my wallet and a card that shows the lap band. When I was hospitalized after my surgery, the hospital I was in had never even heard of it. If I'd of had to have an NG, there could have been a possibility of rupturing my stomach with blind insertion. My surgeon wishes all his patients wore them.

Mine has a beaded band but has the medic alert tag with the emblem. Mine says:

AGB-No NG tube w/o endoscope

Dr's name and phone #

I had to take a ride to the hospital for kidney stones about a month after my surgery. I did have my Bracelet and the medic did ask what it was for. So I am a firm believer that they do work.

They do have some cute ones at http://www.medicalert.org/Home/HomeCatalog.aspx?Catalog=Standard My hubby said the shoe one would get noticed quick for men, women change their shoes too much lol.

I also found mine on Ebay. But it is a bit plain and ugly. But if it saves my band? Don't care how ugly it is.

Mine says:

My Name

Adj. Gastric Lapband

No NG w/o Endo

Allergy: Ativan

Dr. Ortiz 916-683-2808