Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I The Only One Not Losing Weight?

I had poor weight loss with the band as well as many side effects so on 11/21/11 I had a revision done by one of the top surgeons in Mexico.

I weighed in at 298 before the preop diet. At surgery I was 293. After the 3 week liquid diet post op I got to 282 and was overjoyed. I started darting food again and went to 285. I emailed the nutritionist who gave me a diet to follow. I was unable to eat all that she expected me to eat and got to 290!!!!!

She emailed me back and said it must be metabolic as there was no logical reason based upon my weight. Surgery and diet this should happen.

I made an appt with my family doc to get a referral to an endo. I had already explained that my thyroid tests were normal.

Part of me thinks I should see the endo, but I must admit that I don't know what else can be done if my thyroid is normal.

I know I am fine on the diet . One other thing is that I have bipolar disorder and take several meds that have weight gain as side effects. I can't cut back on them because I will end up living on the street without them.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Hang on. The right person will read this soon... (I've not had surgery yet)

I'm just wanting to chime in to give you some support. I agree that you shouldn't stop your medicines, and if I were you I would talk to as many doctors as necessary to get an answer - this doesn't sound right at all.

I wish you the very best of luck on your journey and hope you get some results really soon.

There is a group on the discussion board... it is called the Slow Losers... I have read where others lose maybe 1 pd a month, etc. So it is not only YOU. Please dont stop taking your medicine. That is just has important and essential to your health. Everyone is different in their weight loss, our bodies are made up differently. Try tracking your foods on Spark People. You will be successful... Good Luck

I'm right there with you. I was sleeved on 12/28. I lost 26 pounds during the 2 weeks before and after surgery, but now I've regained a pound. I keep hearing about the infamous "3 week stall." I'm really hoping that's what's going on with both of us, though I don't have the meds to deal with. That must be frustrating. But hang in there! I'm sure our scales will start moving in the right direction soon!

I know from family members' experience that your bipolar meds can and do cause weight gain. Talk with your doctor about your medications and see if there are other, effective options for you that don't have such a strong side effect profile in weight gain. Definitely stay on them until you talk with him/her, but there are a variety of medications that have more or less weight effect--your doc should be able to help you with that choice. Best wishes!!