Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

I'm in Sedro Woolley. Looking for doctor to do my (self pay) Lap Band surgery. Anyone know of a very good, very experienced doctor in this area?...Everett would be fine. Any idea of what the cost would be to have the laproscopic surgery locally?

Guest mickeymax

There is one that just moved from Kirkland to Everett. It is the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery. I am looking into that one now. All they do is lap-band The phone number is 425-385-2263 or Toll free 866-350-2263 The price is $17500

Guest mickeymax

I would love to hear what you think when you get into it. I am in Oak Harbor and am trying to make some decisions myself. I have a very dear friend that started this journey with me but she is more anxious then I and she has a husband to go with her so she is going to Mexico and have it done. About $8000. I don't know if I'm that brave.

I live in Sedro Woolley...so we're kinda' neighbors!

I mentioned Mexico to my husband and he said no way! He'd rather we pay more and have it done locally. At around $18,000 the surgery will cost less than my car did and Lord knows, we're certainly used to making payments, so we'll just "buck up" and pay it. At my age (56) it means less for retirement but, to put it in perspective, what good will retirement be....if I'm dead!

I e-mailed Northwest Weight Loss Surgery a few minutes ago to inquire about having the surgery through them. I'm also filling out the forms they had available on-line and will mail them tomorrow. I'm on vacation through next week so plan to get something started before I have to go back to work. As you can tell, I'm ready to do this!

I'll give an update when I hear from them.

Best regards,

pam

Guest mickeymax

I was just browsing the forum and several people were talking about the place in Tacoma that is $12000. Most of the ones that talked about it said it was good. Look at the first and second pages.

Hi Pam! I'm scheduled for my pre-op appts this week at NWWLS myself. They make you go to their seminar first, so make sure you find a time and sign up for it. I tried to just make an appt since I had already done my research and knew I was ready to get started, but no dice. smile.gif

Hope I can get my surgery scheduled soon! Let me know if you do end up going through them -- maybe we'll run into each other at support group meetings. smile.gif

Hi Gang, what a small world. I used to live in Oak Harbor & Woolley too...

My DH and I used Northwest Weight Loss Surgery. I could not be happier with them. Everyone is just great. Jessie, as in she wrote the book on banding, does the fills, so you know the staff is experienced. In fact, everyone who works there was banded.

DH has lost close to 200 pounds and I've lost about 35 pounds.

I will be at the support group tonight in Everett, in case anyone else goes.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Cheers, Crystal

Thank you for the advice! I made my appointment for 8-1-05 to attend the seminar. NWWLS wrote back today and said the surgery will cost me about $17,000 barring any complications. Since my insurance doesn't cover the surgery, we're going to finance it through our bank (hopefully) at a reasonable rate.

Tacoma would cost me less (Surgical Weight Loss Clinic) but it would be a much longer drive and I do not feel as sure about them as I do NWWLS.

Keep me posted on your visit and any additional information/comments you might have.

Best regards,

pam

Hi Crystal!

Yes indeedy, it is a small world we live in!!! I'm glad to hear from someone who has had the surgery. Can I ask how long your actual surgery took? How long before you went home? Cost? The upsides and downsides...I'm ready for any of it. Only answer what you feel comfortable sharing.

I've made the decision to do this one way or another. I'm excited and a little apprehensive but ultimately know this is what I need and want to do. My BMI is 61...enough said.

My husband did Atkins and lost over 80 pounds about a year ago and has kept it off. I have never had a truly successful dieting experience...and I've tried them all....blah, blah, blah....haven't we all!

Thanks for the support everyone...it's truly appreciated!

pam

Hey Pam, I think the actual procedure took about 45 minutes. I stayed overnight in hospital, but days before my procedure I had to be rushed to the ER for asthma. Again. My asthma was litterally killing me. They were talking about putting me on oxygen. Again.

DH was banded two years ago, he was the highest BMI NWWLS had ever banded. But then again, at a BMI of 81 ... 600 pounds... He's lost about 200 pounds but still hasn't broken the 400 barrier. But this weekend he spent all weekend re-building a friend's deck out at Long Beach. He is Mr. Energy these days. I think he just needs time where he is before he can go forward.

Our insurance covered everything, so I can't give you any information there.

Let's see, I haven't lost a huge amount of weight. Not yet. But, I feel better than I have in years. YEARS. If I'm late for the bus I will run for it. Yes, that's right RUN FOR THE BUS. I don't even cary an asthma inhaler with me anymore. I'm not even 5 months out, and you wouldn't even know I had asthma. In Early March I couldn't walk a block without needing to rest, now I'm running for the bus without thinking about it. I bought a new jacket this weekend -- a LARGE, not a XXL jacket.

The downside? I see how fast other people are losing and I am frustrated that I'm not losing at the same rate. But I've had two other surgerys they haven't had... female stuff. So, instead of gaining weight on the meds they put me on, I maintained. That is the downside.

That's amazing to me!!!!

OMG! Running (I can barely walk!) for the bus!! Run has not been in my vocabulary for about 20 years! I can't even imagine it!!! That's a huge stride...I'm truly impressed and psyched now!!! It sounds to me like you're doing great! I actually don't want to lose the weight too fast (one of my reasons for choosing the Lapband)...if I do, I'll have hanging skin everywhere! Not that I won't anyway, but at least I'll have time to exercise and tone up a bit so that it won't be quite so bad. Just being able to get around easier will be too cool; carrying this 200+ extra pounds is taking its toll. I hurt everywhere but mostly knees, ankles and back. I wish I could have the surgery tomorrow!!!!

I got my loan approved yesterday for the surgery so I'm gonna' move this along as fast as I can. Did they make you lose weight before you could schedule surgery? If so, is there a time requirement for such or just an amount you have to lose (I've read its 10 pounds) which would be a breeze for me.) I'm hoping to have the surgery before the first of the year but don't know if that's even remotely possible. Maybe I'll find out at the orientation seminar I'm going to on Sept 1st. Not having to go through insurance should save some time...hopefully. I am so excited!!!!!

Thanks so much for the information.

pam

Running? Yeah, Baby! Sign me up for that. Right now, I do an Excellent impression of Jabba the Hut... but no running. My knees would simply implode.

My Doc's letter is finally ready!! (Yee Haw!) So, now I can get this insurance show on the road... maybe Pam & I can do our Turtle Slow & Steady thing together!

Everybody think good thoughts.

I gained about 10 pounds between the time I had my sugeon consult and the surgery. I was on so much steroids just to keep me breathing. Dr. Montgomery just patted my arm and said something like "we we'd better get you patched up right away so you start feeling better." No recriminations about gaining. No scolding. Just sympathy and understanding.

The purpose of losing the weight is so that there is room inside to work. The first bit of weight you lose comes off your liver, which is located right next to your stomache. It's not a test of your resolve. It's not a test of character or motivation. They would like you to loose weight, and strongly recommend that you do.

That's good news....I was afraid it might be like the insurance requirement (having to show a history/record of dieting using an approved program before even considering approval.) I knew it made a difference when having the surgery but didn't understand why, other then getting to the stomach would be easier, as I didn't realize the first fat busting area is in the liver! Makes total sense now!